It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:51 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Don Tiny wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
We're getting away from the original point here. Whether 48 games in 99 days is harder than 82 in 186 isn't pertinent. The fact is that relative to history, what the Devils and Blackhawks did was not the same as what other championship teams did, and this fact should be denoted.

I politely disagree.

Every team had the same scheduling constraints and were given equal opportunity to win the cup; the effort required to win the Stanley Cup was absolutely no different for the Blackhawks than it was for the Coyotes, or any other team. Rules changes are far more impactful on a season's worth of games, so by that measure there should be wild asterisks everywhere anytime there's a significant rule change (e.g., goalie trapezoid, blue/red line reconfiguration, quicker puck drop after play stoppage).

It's separation and segregation of a given championship for an arbitrarily ascribed reason. From my vantage point, it's like saying we should asterisk a hockey championship because if was warmer than normal weather and the ice was slower ... which would be just country fucking dumb, just as it's dumb to blame the Heat for something they had no control over either.

Noting the existence of a 48-game season amid dozens of 80/82/84-game seasons isn't arbitrary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
spmack wrote:
Question about this season's team:

Does the SI Jinx bother you all?

Considering they were the 'team that saved Hockey" last year. Doesn't bother me one bit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am 

spmack wrote:
Question about this season's team:

Does the SI Jinx bother you all?

Did it matter last year?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am 

Furthermore, denoting "due to NHL ownership locking out its players, the league played a 48-game season" is far more blemishing to Gary Bettman than it is to the Blackhawks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
We're getting away from the original point here. Whether 48 games in 99 days is harder than 82 in 186 isn't pertinent. The fact is that relative to history, what the Devils and Blackhawks did was not the same as what other championship teams did, and this fact should be denoted.

I politely disagree.

Every team had the same scheduling constraints and were given equal opportunity to win the cup; the effort required to win the Stanley Cup was absolutely no different for the Blackhawks than it was for the Coyotes, or any other team. Rules changes are far more impactful on a season's worth of games, so by that measure there should be wild asterisks everywhere anytime there's a significant rule change (e.g., goalie trapezoid, blue/red line reconfiguration, quicker puck drop after play stoppage).

It's separation and segregation of a given championship for an arbitrarily ascribed reason. From my vantage point, it's like saying we should asterisk a hockey championship because if was warmer than normal weather and the ice was slower ... which would be just country fucking dumb, just as it's dumb to blame the Heat for something they had no control over either.

Noting the existence of a 48-game season amid dozens of 80/82/84-game seasons isn't arbitrary.

Other than that, then, what other explanations are you searching for? If it's basically down to "well, the regular season was only 48 games, which has only happened twice, compared to all of the other seasons", then it's kind of a silly proposition to throw out there in the first place, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I like that it was a hockey post that brought Ivan back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 pm 

Speak for yourself.

I guess what bothers me more than anything here is this distinct vibe of trying to whitewash history, as if we need to pretend a four-month lockout didn't happen so as to inoculate the Blackhawks from criticism of the short season. But the lockout did happen. I remember it well, having to defend the legitimacy of the league against outsiders from one side of my mouth while railing against the league among real fans from the other. I remember a Red Wings executive referring to anyone who wasn't a billionaire as "cattle." I remember how by January 1st, there was a very good chance we were going to lose the whole damn year and the face of the game in North America would be irreparably scarred.

Thankfully, we got the season in, and even better, the Hawks won it all, with the same 16 wins it always takes. And not only that, but they went through half the season without losing prior to a shootout, they won the division, they led the league in goal prevention, they led the league in scoring differential, they led in wins, they led in standings points, and they did it all without having a training camp or exhibitions, and with a schedule crush-loaded with back-to-backs and three-in-fours. But the fact is that this wasn't an average season, and it almost wasn't a season at all, and history has to know the way this league was pushed to the edge and almost fell off. Whether the unique conditions make the Hawks' achievements greater or lesser than the average six-month deathmarch of NHL regular-season play, I don't know, and it's not germane. But a terrible thing happened to this league before the good stuff happened to the Hawks, and that part of the story has to be told.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

Fair enough, but in the grand scheme of things, that all is pretty much put to bed once the season starts, right?

I think for those in the future that give enough of a shit to look back at the "record book", and see that the 2012-2013 season was only 48 games should be able to find out why without that line in the "book" having some definitive "*" there, shouldn't they?

Our generation IMO has, sadly, been used to being accustomed to the occasional major league work stoppage, so in the long run, I don't think the odd season length every decade or so really matters that much, especially if the playoff system remains intact as it would for a full-length season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:16 pm 

Oh, and not really having answered OKC's original question myself, IMO it's simply in general it's a Chicago hatred of the Heat vs. love for the locals :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Entertaining*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Entertaining*

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 am 

99 Spurs*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Due to the fact that there was a lengthy lockout last year, are there any fans willing to put an asterisk next to the Blackhawks' championship? I remember a lot of people on this board who couldn't wait to discredit the 2012 Miami Heat for winning a championship during a lockout-shortened season, yet I haven't really heard the same for this Hawks team. Why is there a double standard?
There isn't a double standard. Put the asterisk there if you want. It's not like it is official or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 am 

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT