It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
...on the back of a truck doing 90 up the interstate.

Gotta get these in early these days, huh? Anyway, the Maple Wings are in town for another chapter of extended interconference play. Washington's power play was lethal and this one is almost as scary, with Steven Stamkos and the apparently ageless Martin St. Louis ready to strike.

The Bolts are a weird, weird team, in that they have the firepower of a Stanley Cup contender, but are bumbling fuckwits in every other aspect of the game. Get this: they scored 147 goals last year, just short of Pittsburgh and the Hawks for third in the league. They also gave up 147 goals, just behind hapless Winnipeg's 141 and just ahead of lottery-winning Colorado's 150 for 26th.

So what's the deal? Well, the Bolts had been using a defensive system called the 1-3-1, where basically you sit back and keep three guys across your own blue line to prevent zone entry and keep the game gurgling away in the neutral zone. This had gotten them to the third round in 2011 and was rolling along fine until one night against the notoriously defense-abhorring Flyers, Peter Laviolette fucked the whole thing up for Tampa by simply not sending a puck carrier down the ice, basically resulting in a very large and very expensive staring contest: the Bolts had no attacker to choke off and the Flyers had no zone to try to gain. I don't remember how that sequence ended, but it didn't end well for the Lightning in the long run, as suddenly this whole great thing Steve Yzerman allegedly built came crashing down hard. There was also the whole weird part about entrusting goaltending to Dwayne Roloson, who was like 60 years old. In an ironic twist, the Bolts lost Vincent Lecavalier to cap compliance, where he wound up with the Flyers on an even dumber contract than the one his last team just had to buy out.

I guess things are looking better for the Lightning now that they can't look much worse, but there are still holes up and down their lineup, and as long as Stamkos doesn't go crazy, the Hawks really ought to win this. They replaced Lecavalier with The Valtteri Filppula Project, and maybe this will be the year he really breaks out haha no. Outside of Viktor Hedman, their blue line is awful. I'm pretty sure they're relying on Sami Salo for 28 minutes a night. Good luck. They've lost their only game of the year, a 3-1 loss to dear old Boston in which Jarome Iginla had to beat the crap out of someone.

Ben Smith is going to dress, and it sounds like it'll be at the expense of Jimmy Hayes, which is just as well, seeing as he was more or less invisible against the Caps. Kruger practiced at #2 center in lieu of Handzus, who Q says will play, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Gonna need big games out of Smith, Kruger, and Nordstrom, but it'd be even better if the Hawks just minimized the amount of penalty-killing that needs to be done in the first place. I really don't want to see The Stamkos Spot.

Final note: I hate this team's uniforms so much. It's Detroit's template in Toronto's colors. Step off the Original Six, you sandal-wearers. You don't get to affect classic austerity. Warm-weather expansion teams should have to wear ridiculous uniforms with shiny silver stuff and weird armpit patches and all that cheesy stuff. The Hurricanes are in on this bullshit now too. What a bunch of assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 pm 

Their regular uni's suck, but their 3rd jerseys are some of the best:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 am 

I'm not certain but those may have been discontinued. And I don't like that they say "BOLTS" when the team's name is the Lightning. It would be like a Cleveland Indians jersey that said "TRIBE."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm not certain but those may have been discontinued. And I don't like that they say "BOLTS" when the team's name is the Lightning. It would be like a Cleveland Indians jersey that said "TRIBE."

I think they were discontinued.

I will sell you my LaCavalier "Bolts" for..........$3 grand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
spanky wrote:
Their regular uni's suck, but their 3rd jerseys are some of the best:

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:39 pm 

I think Stamkos got a hat trick vs us the last time we played. I'm sure he'll score tonight but outside of him, St Louis and Hedman, the team is just full of bad.

Lightning will need a lot of fortunate bounces and PPs to beat the Hawks tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:03 pm 

Kostka in for Rozsival as well. Salo questionable, as always, for Tampa.

I believe the Stamkos hat trick was in 2009 (he scored on both halves of a Craig Adams double-minor, which led to his waiving), though maybe he had another one since then. I'd believe it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm 

Yea, 2011.

I don't know why Rozsival isn't playing today. Plenty of rest leading up to this game and the next.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

I think they want to see what they have in Kostka and also get Rozsival as much rest as possible early on so that there's enough in the tank down the stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:44 pm 

That was a wretched period. Bolts are doing the same five-men-back bullshit that all the untalented teams do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Kaner!!!!

Icetracker tonight. Get this shit on national tv every night!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 pm 

Saad!!!!!!!

Kompon!!!!!1

:cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 pm 

How has Kostka looked on D since I only have the stats to go off of?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:16 pm 

Lightning score. Been getting their lunch handed to them all game but are within 1 goal. Lame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

That's too bad. The Lightning were barely an NHL team for the first 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
How has Kostka looked on D since I only have the stats to go off of?

He's been great. He has some really good offensive awareness and has been shutdown on D so far tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:36 pm 

This is frustrating. Hawks deserve 2 points and Lightning deserve negative points.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
This is frustrating. Hawks deserve 2 points and Lightning deserve negative points.

If the PK unit could have stopped the entire 1 PK they had tonight then things would look much better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 pm 

Terrible loss. Bishop stole that game. And what a shame the tying goal had to come from Teddy Purcell, a guy whose play is at best described as eighth-assed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

If the PK unit could have stopped the entire 1 PK they had tonight then things would look much better.

Puck was passed off a leg and in. Hawks dominated the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 pm 

Crawford 14/16 tonight. Boy, that's one to forget.

Blues blanked the Panthers 7-0, in which "blanked" can both refer to a shutout and to the censoring of a more apt verb.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Weird game last night. This season is going to be a lot different, if not for the simple fact we get to play some teams we haven't seen in a calendar year plus.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:57 am 

Yeah, the Hawks haven't played the Jets since October 2011 and will play them five times (or maybe just four. I hate the new alignment) this year. I believe the first game will be up there, first time the Hawks have played a real game in Winnipeg since 1996.