It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Put on your caring hats, because the NHL really wants Chicago-Minnesota to be a big rivalry in lieu of Chicago-Detroit. After pretty much a month of good-to-get-points games against the East, these are two big games with big implications for the division standings, which, remember, are more important than conference standings now. 7 on 9, it being a weekend and all, and probably the last Saturday night home game for a while.

Minnesota is in a weird place, organizationally, as they seem to want to be big-time with the Parise/Suter signings and the Jason Pominville trade, but are still relying on what appears to be a great deal of youngsters. Some of them are fully-formed prodigies, like Jonas Brodin, while others, like Nino Niederreiter, Charlie Coyle, and Mikael Granlund, still have a way to go. They're also schlepping Dany Heatley around, who is just about as done as done can be these days. They've played well in the early going, though, mostly because their defense/goaltending has been top-notch and accounted for the fact that no one's scoring. The Goaltending Niklas Backstrom is back just in time for Josh Harding to be hurt, and Brodin just broke his jaw, so let's see how that affects them. Cal Clutterbuck went to Long Island in exchange for Niederreiter, so that's nice, but Zenon Konopka is still there and still a hotheaded lunk, and Matt Cooke is there now, too. Mikko Koivu has been a pain in the ass for years now.

Kostka has been put on injured reserve and there's still that Nordstrom spot to fill, so we get two callups!

Jeremy Morin has successfully played himself out of Rockford with a point-per-game pace through his first eight games. Let's hope this is the time he's here to stay. The biggest thing the Hawks seem to be missing from last year is the aggression and tenacity on the penalty kill that they got from the luxury of a high-ceiling skill player in Michael Frolik logging those minutes. Morin fits that same profile, but unlike Frolik, there's still a faint glimmer of hope that he can move up the ranks. I've been excited about this guy since he came over in the megatrade with Atlanta, but he's had bad luck with injuries and has been lapped on the depth chart by younger guys in Saad and Shaw. I'll be rooting for him. He's still only 22.

The Hawks also signed 30-year-old forward Brad Mills off the Rockford roster and onto their 50-man roster, and then assigned him to the Blackhawks. Sorry, guys. I know fuck-all about Brad Mills. I just know that was the name of the Astros' old manager. I have no earthly clue what he could possibly be doing here, but if he dresses over Morin tonight, I'm going to construct a Joel Quenneville voodoo mustache and set it on fire.

RECORDS
Hawks: 6-1-3, adjusted 4-2-4, 11.607 points expected
Wild: 5-3-3, adjusted 5-4-2, 12.593 points expected

GOALS
Hawks: 2.900 scored (12th), 2.500 allowed (8th) -- quite the bump; thanks, Khabi
Wild: 2.182 scored (24th) 1.909 allowed (4th)

UNEVEN STRENGTH
Hawks: 8/38, 21.0% (11th) on the power play; 22/31, 71.0% (30th) on the penalty kill and again, I'm alarmed that 31 times shorthanded isn't even that many
Wild: 12/45, 26.7% (4th) on the power play, 33/44, 75.0% (27th) on the penalty kill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I had the Hawks parlayed with the over last game here in Vegas. Alas, another third period meltdown did me in. I think I'll stay away from anymore unless I can find a prop bet for third period scoring and bet against the beloved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
The Replacements

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 pm 

What kind of sick fuck bets on hockey? What, you couldn't place bets on the literal flipping of a coin?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:24 pm 

Kruger was centering the 2nd line with Morin on the 3rd line in practice.

Hopefully Handzus is sittng. He's old and bad and should only be playing on the 4th line. I don't know why Q can't just put Pirri on the 2nd line and give him his chance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
The rivalry will be Avs and Hawks.....fuck the Wild

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:43 pm 

Cerebral rape? Number one side effect of reading Molly Lambert's prose.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:44 pm 

Don't even bother killing penalties anymore. Just award the goal and save us the trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Zizou wrote:

If he was from Venus, would he feed us with a spoon?
If he was from Mars, wouldn't that be cool?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:18 pm 

Looking more and more like the 2012 squad with terrible special teams. I'm going to have to go back and check, but it seems like the Hawks stink up the joint against Minnesota on a regular basis. The playoff series was like the first time they actually put these guys away like they should be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Zizou wrote:

The only thing worth reading on Grantland are the oral history stories.

The rest of it is crap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
What kind of sick fuck bets on hockey? What, you couldn't place bets on the literal flipping of a coin?

They don't flip a coin for hockey games, so I bet on who won the most draws.