It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:01 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Women in America have it almost as hard as white men...

Well according to many posters here, that's pretty hard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody can really say what exactly is so hard about being an American woman in 2016. Some of you just know that it is. Not that this manosphere is the right place to ask the question. Maybe Spaulding will show up.

This is off the top of my head but I'm sure many others can add to this list.

They still make less than men for the same job
They aren't in as many leadership positions in corporate America
They're virtually absent from government
We debate about what they can or can't do or put in their bodies
We just allowed them to fight on the front lines in the military
Their physical appearance is judged more harshly than men
They get harassed in the work place more often
They're raped more often
We blame them most of the time when they are harassed or assaulted
They get pregnant
They're expected to be the primary caregiver of that child
Religions still consider them to be inferior
They aren't consider for positions in the church because of their gender

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So you don't have an answer.

You've already dismissed any answer as identity politics and victimhood so it would be pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:08 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
What's the general harm in being told something untrue? Blue isn't a man's color and pink isn't a girl's color. Is it a grave threat to our society? No, it's just something stupid we cling to for no good reason other that some people have a vested interest in defining things by gender. If pink's really a girl's color why not also just believe a woman's place is in the home. It's just the way it is.
Why is it stupid though? We associate green with Go, and red with Stop, and yellow with Yield. We associate green with money. I could go on but our society is filled with color connections to various parts of our society. Red/pink for women and blue for men is just another one of those things.

Differences are not always inequality. My wife also wears dresses where I do not. She's fine with that. I'm fine with that.

How about we concentrate on actual inequality that matters rather than red/blue?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, they aren't a minority. And yeah, there are jokes that make fun of women and jokes that make fun of men. The average sitcom is based around the fact that a man is an idiot who can't take a piss without his wife pointing his cock for him. I'm not complaining about it either. It's hard to live as a man. So what?

No, Im not talking about jokes.

In my experience with office jobs (actually any job as this happened at the place I caddied at), any woman who is assertive at all is labeled "a bitch" or under the guy's breath saying it "on her period"

Same attitude from a man is labeled as a "go-getter" or at worst "tough, but fair"

I think many people look at women as the weaker sex. There are people who are uncomfortable with a female boss or even doctor.

One of my old bosses, now a colleague, will gladly tell you women are worse at pretty much everything. This is a guy who at one time influenced who we hired. He literally didnt hire some people simply because of their gender.

You're a guy who understands that institutional racism exists. You believe institutional sexism does not?

Maybe in some small shop that is run like a boys club. But I've worked in the catering industry that is run largely by women and homosexuals. It wasn't my preferred atmosphere, but I got paid. If I wanted to feel sorry for myself I could certainly have found reasons to walk around in a permanent state of being offended. Maybe it was even a hostile atmosphere for me.

At a regular corporate job, I don't think sexism is carrying the day with modern HR departments, etc. Anyway, so what if it is? Everyone has different problems. Life isn't some Utopian dream where everything goes your way. It's like Clarence says to Alabama in True Romance when she complains how everything sucks: "Yeah, that's usually the way it goes, but sometimes it goes the other way too." I'm sure my wife has had moments where being female didn't serve her professionally. But there was also the time when she was in her 20s and a male boss gave her a 35% raise because he though she was cute. That's a raise you and KDdidit aren't getting. You guys have hard lives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody can really say what exactly is so hard about being an American woman in 2016. Some of you just know that it is. Not that this manosphere is the right place to ask the question. Maybe Spaulding will show up.

This is off the top of my head but I'm sure many others can add to this list.

They still make less than men for the same job
They aren't in as many leadership positions in corporate America
They're virtually absent from government
We debate about what they can or can't do or put in their bodies
We just allowed them to fight on the front lines in the military
Their physical appearance is judged more harshly than men
They get harassed in the work place more often
They're raped more often
We blame them most of the time when they are harassed or assaulted
They get pregnant
They're expected to be the primary caregiver of that child
Religions still consider them to be inferior
They aren't consider for positions in the church because of their gender

Many of those are simply not true or at least completely unsupported, e.g. less for the same work, absent from government (women make up a majority of voters so if it were actually true, I guess it would be their fault). And many of those complaints have counterparts on the male side, e.g. he is expected to be the primary breadwinner, he is judged on his earnings, etc.

I'm not even arguing that a woman's life isn't hard. But the implication is that it is somehow harder than a man's. It's simply "hard" in different ways.

I will admit that they are raped more. Men are attacked and beaten more though.

Last edited by Joe Orr Road Rod on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
What's the general harm in being told something untrue? Blue isn't a man's color and pink isn't a girl's color. Is it a grave threat to our society? No, it's just something stupid we cling to for no good reason other that some people have a vested interest in defining things by gender. If pink's really a girl's color why not also just believe a woman's place is in the home. It's just the way it is.
Why is it stupid though? We associate green with Go, and red with Stop, and yellow with Yield. We associate green with money. I could go on but our society is filled with color connections to various parts of our society. Red/pink for women and blue for men is just another one of those things.

Differences are not always inequality. My wife also wears dresses where I do not. She's fine with that. I'm fine with that.

How about we concentrate on actual inequality that matters rather than red/blue?

Yes we can only concentrate on one thing at a time, that's how progress is made. If you admit pink isn't inherently feminine and blue masculine (I think you did in the other thread) I don't understand why you wouldn't think it was stupid to arbitrarily associate it with genders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well, they aren't a minority. And yeah, there are jokes that make fun of women and jokes that make fun of men. The average sitcom is based around the fact that a man is an idiot who can't take a piss without his wife pointing his cock for him. I'm not complaining about it either. It's hard to live as a man. So what?

In my experience with office jobs (actually any job as this happened at the place I caddied at), any woman who is assertive at all is labeled "a bitch" or under the guy's breath saying it "on her period"

Same attitude from a man is labeled as a "go-getter" or at worst "tough, but fair"

I think many people look at women as the weaker sex. There are people who are uncomfortable with a female boss or even doctor.

One of my old bosses, now a colleague, will gladly tell you women are worse at pretty much everything. This is a guy who at one time influenced who we hired. He literally didnt hire some people simply because of their gender.

You're a guy who understands that institutional racism exists. You believe institutional sexism does not?

Maybe in some small shop that is run like a boys club. But I've worked in the catering industry that is run largely by women and homosexuals. It wasn't my preferred atmosphere, but I got paid. If I wanted to feel sorry for myself I could certainly have found reasons to walk around in a permanent state of being offended. Maybe it was even a hostile atmosphere for me.

At a regular corporate job, I don't think sexism is carrying the day with modern HR departments, etc. Anyway, so what if it is? Everyone has different problems. Life isn't some Utopian dream where everything goes your way. It's like Clarence says to Alabama in True Romance when she complains how everything sucks: "Yeah, that's usually the way it goes, but sometimes it goes the other way too." I'm sure my wife has had moments where being female didn't serve her professionally. But there was also the time when she was in her 20s and a male boss gave her a 35% raise because he though she was cute. That's a raise you and KDdidit aren't getting. You guys have hard lives.

So your overall point is "nobody has it perfect"?

How do you separate that from racism? Is racism being put out of business by modern HR departments? Or because a black guy got a job to fill a quota like your wife's raise?

Im not making a 1:1 comparison but there is a lot of crossover on how certain races and women are marginalized.

And I think there are far more boys club type work places than you seem to think. Its not as loud and proud but it's there.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 pm 

While not getting too much into any personal stories, the biggest issue seems to be a woman who is of the standard child rearing age.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:19 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Yes we can only concentrate on one thing at a time, that's how progress is made. If you admit pink isn't inherently feminine and blue masculine (I think you did in the other thread) I don't understand why you wouldn't think it was stupid to arbitrarily associate it with genders.
Well, green doesn't inherently mean Go either. It doesn't mean the association with the color is wrong.

I need an explanation as to why this specific color instance is somehow wrong when there are thousands of examples of colors being used to associate with something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Well, green doesn't inherently mean Go either. It doesn't mean the association with the color is wrong.

I need an explanation as to why this specific color instance is somehow wrong when there are thousands of examples of colors being used to associate with something.

Collared Greens for instance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I see all the usual suspects are here arguing about what amounts to the dumbest argument ever.

Keep up the good work fellas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So your overall point is "nobody has it perfect"?

How do you separate that from racism? Is racism being put out of business by modern HR departments? Or because a black guy got a job to fill a quota like your wife's raise?

Im not making a 1:1 comparison but there is a lot of crossover on how certain races and women are marginalized.

And I think there are far more boys club type work places than you seem to think. Its not as loud and proud but it's there.

Yeah, I think everyone has different problems. Is it hard being a woman? Maybe. It's hard being a man for different reasons. There are different expectations for both genders. It's hard being "ugly" too. It's hard being fat. It's hard being bald. So what?

And I think you work in a field that informs your thoughts male dominated workplace. What could be more testosterone-fueled than the trading floor? If you worked for Limelight Catering, I think you'd have a different impression.

In any case, I think it's a little ridiculous to compare women, who actually make up a majority of voters and who attend university in greater numbers than men, to black people who were dragged here in chains and then kept down through laws for another 100+ years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

You don't see the issue arbitrarily assigning traits to genders?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hockey Gay wrote:
JORR is owning this thread

Regardless of how many pages it eventually gets to, that statement will almost certainly continue be true throughout it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
We are talking about colors here, not traits.

I just want a clear and concise reason why pink/red being associated with women is wrong or damaging.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jorr I'm surprised by your take on this considering how you feel about blacks and some other minorities. That being said the same argument that you make against women could also be made (usually is) about blacks and other ethnic minorities and you would be on the opposite side of this debate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
We are talking about colors here, not traits.

I just want a clear and concise reason why pink/red being associated with women is wrong or damaging.

Liking pink is a trait associated with women. There's no reason for women to be associated with red/pink aside that it's convenient. Green literally means go. Red literally means stop. Pink literally does not mean women.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:37 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Liking pink is a trait associated with women. There's no reason for women to be associated with red/pink aside that it's convenient. Green literally means go. Red literally means stop. Pink literally does not mean women.
Green and red are arbitrary choices for a specific thing. So is red/pink and blue.

No one says women can't like blue and men can't like pink.

Still waiting on that explanation as to why it is bad.

We painted our boys room blue. Is that a problem?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Jorr I'm surprised by your take on this considering how you feel about blacks and some other minorities. That being said the same argument that you make against women could also be made (usually is) about blacks and other ethnic minorities and you would be on the opposite side of this debate.

Women are not a minority.

I'm surprised at your stance too. You seem like a guy who believes in traditional gender roles, which are the entire thing driving the conversation. But those traditional roles are getting further and further in the rearview mirror. More women than men are obtaining college degrees and advanced degrees. It won't be long before the corporate board rooms are filled with women. And you know what? There isn't some inherent nobility in a vagina. When women have the power they will act the same way men do. And if you work for a company that is dominated by women, you may find yourself on the outside as a woman you feel is less qualified is promoted past you. And my answer to you then will be the same: so what? Life isn't fair. And people are people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

yes, this is a thing.

JORR wrote:
I'm sure my wife has had moments where being female didn't serve her professionally. But there was also the time when she was in her 20s and a male boss gave her a 35% raise because he though she was cute. That's a raise you and KDdidit aren't getting.

This is kinda gross, and I suppose now you can say it's hard for women in the workforce because people share the opinion JORR has.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm surprised at your stance too. You seem like a guy who believes in traditional gender roles, which are the entire thing driving the conversation. But those traditional roles are getting further and further in the rearview mirror. More women than men are obtaining college degrees and advanced degrees. It won't be long before the corporate board rooms are filled with women. And you know what? There isn't some inherent nobility in a vagina. When women have the power they will act the same way men do. And if you work for a company that is dominated by women, you may find yourself on the outside as a woman you feel is less qualified is promoted past you. And my answer to you then will be the same: so what? Life isn't fair. And people are people.

:lol: :lol: I had 2 girls and became a single parent and it changed my views.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It won't be long before the corporate board rooms are filled with women.

OK, but it's not now.

But you seem pretty entrenched, and I agree it's a discussion best not made here in a male-only board, no anecdotal evidence here will change your mind.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Green and red are arbitrary choices for a specific thing. So is red/pink and blue.

No one says women can't like blue and men can't like pink.

Still waiting on that explanation as to why it is bad.

We painted our boys room blue. Is that a problem?

Yes, no one is saying women can't like blue and men can't like pink. They're saying women like pink and men like blue. If we changed what red and green meant with stop lights tomorrow it would be chaos. If we changed what pink and blue meant with gender preference nothing would change.

Paint your kid's room whatever you want. You're smart enough to know if you surround your kid with blue and he grows up liking blue it's not because "boys just like blue."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

JORR / Milo Yiannopoulous= Match

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:51 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Yes, no one is saying women can't like blue and men can't like pink. They're saying women like pink and men like blue. If we changed what red and green meant with stop lights tomorrow it would be chaos. If we changed what pink and blue meant with gender preference nothing would change.
Why does it matter though? We have a color that often represents a gender. You have yet to explain the harm in that.
KDdidit wrote:
Paint your kid's room whatever you want. You're smart enough to know if you surround your kid with blue and he grows up liking blue it's not because "boys just like blue."
I doubt many people think that blue/pink is a genetic thing. It's a society thing. The question is why it matters.

I believe you wanted to move past the concept of red/pink = girl and blue = boy. Why is that needed?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This color argument is getting silly.

Truth is that there are roles that are better performed by men and vice versa.

Who do you want pulling your unconscious body out of a house fire?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I think everyone has different problems. Is it hard being a woman? Maybe. It's hard being a man for different reasons. There are different expectations for both genders. It's hard being "ugly" too. It's hard being fat. It's hard being bald. So what?

Ok, so "everybody faces some challenges" is your point.

That's fine but then why do you rail against the modern gilded age? Ultra Rich people have problems too.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And I think you work in a field that informs your thoughts male dominated workplace. What could be more testosterone-fueled than the trading floor? If you worked for Limelight Catering, I think you'd have a different impression.

True, but even adjusting for that, its still bad. Also these ideas were present in the jobs I had before starting at the board.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
In any case, I think it's a little ridiculous to compare women, who actually make up a majority of voters and who attend university in greater numbers than men, to black people who were dragged here in chains and then kept down through laws for another 100+ years.

That's not what Im doing at all. Im not comparing the entire plight of black people vs women.

Im asking speficially why institutional racism is a problem but sexism is not? If its only the slavery part that makes a difference than we can just chalk up institutional racism to "life isnt perfect" I guess?

I believe women were also kept down by laws for a good period of time, werent they? (suffrage)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe you wanted to move past the concept of red/pink = girl and blue = boy. Why is that needed?

I ask you the same question, why is red/pink = girl and blue = boy needed? There has to be some color on a stoplight that means go and some color that means red. There's no such need for gender.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Reared on the Score wrote:
This is kinda gross, and I suppose now you can say it's hard for women in the workforce because people share the opinion JORR has.

Don't be a phony. Everybody uses what they've got. Do you know that a taller salesman is almost always more successful than the shorter guy? Shorter people have it hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next