It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:56 pm 

Darkside wrote:

Who do you want pulling your unconscious body out of a house fire?

If my choice was Woody Allen or Ronda Rousey, Id have to go with Rousey.

But yes, agreed, certain genders are better at certain things. I dont think anyone would argue that if they really thought it out. (Men are notoriously horrible at giving birth)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Reared on the Score wrote:
This is kinda gross, and I suppose now you can say it's hard for women in the workforce because people share the opinion JORR has.

Don't be a phony. Everybody uses what they've got. Do you know that a taller salesman is almost always more successful than the shorter guy? Shorter people have it hard.

Yes we do. But it doesnt make racism or any other deplorable idea any less deplorable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Who do you want pulling your unconscious body out of a house fire?

If my choice was Woody Allen or Ronda Rousey, Id have to go with Rousey.

But yes, agreed, certain genders are better at certain things. I dont think anyone would argue that if they really thought it out. (Men are notoriously horrible at giving birth)

LOL yes men don't handle childbirth well.
I like what you're saying though. There is a place for gender roles. This is a case of straight up biology.
Of course a man or woman can be equally gifted in many modern professions. Goes without saying.
But there are gender roles for a reason.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Good stuff all around but I'm gonna dig my heels in and say I still don't think stuck-up north-side yoga pants bitches have mercilessly hard lives, though I guess referring to them as "bitches" just now wasn't terribly empowering, was it.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This is kinda gross, and I suppose now you can say it's hard for women in the workforce because people share the opinion JORR has.

Don't be a phony. Everybody uses what they've got. Do you know that a taller salesman is almost always more successful than the shorter guy? Shorter people have it hard.

Yes we do. But it doesnt make racism or any other deplorable idea any less deplorable.

Please stop comparing it to racism. It's a bad comparison. I don't think anyone ever wanted to be a slave. Gender roles are a completely different thing. Little girls still want to be princesses and bigger ones still dream about their weddings. The workplace and the way it is set up with regard to women is a vestige of a time when those gender roles were more starkly defined. Now you may argue that there shouldn't be gender roles at all. That's sort of what KD seems to be doing in the mind-boggling color argument with Rick. And that's fine. But let's not act as if there aren't many people of both genders- perhaps even a majority- who are quite comfortable with tradition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok, so "everybody faces some challenges" is your point.

My point is that I don't believe the average American woman in 2106 has a harder life than the average American man. Whatever "harder" even means.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
:lol: at "mind boggling color argument".

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:11 pm 

Lest we lose sight of the original post,
Quote:
I would like to publicly apologize that my fandom and writing surrounding this franchise has emboldened them to this point.

Okay, cool. Any earthquakes or hurricanes you want to take responsibility for while we have you on the line?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

JORR wrote:
I'm sure my wife has had moments where being female didn't serve her professionally. But there was also the time when she was in her 20s and a male boss gave her a 35% raise because he though she was cute. That's a raise you and KDdidit aren't getting.

Also, I want to make sure I don't sell my wife short. She's a highly competent executive and I'm sure she was a great employee in her 20s. Maybe the guy gave her a giant raise because of her work product. But I really doubt that was all it was. And the way she tells the story, the guy just liked her. Okay, he liked her and he took care of a cute young girl that reported to him. Whatever the reason, that wasn't a hard day for her.

In a somewhat related vein, my first job was as a busboy in an Italian restaurant. I was a cute little 15 year old kid. One of the owners was ambiguously straight. He was married, but there were whispers about him. The guy took a shine to me. I mean he loved me like you wouldn't believe. But then puberty really kicked in on me. I put on weight and got bad acne. Suddenly, the guy seemed to hate me. :lol: My life was hard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's sort of what KD seems to be doing in the mind-boggling color argument

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
When did things stop being harder for women JORR?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe you wanted to move past the concept of red/pink = girl and blue = boy. Why is that needed?

I ask you the same question, why is red/pink = girl and blue = boy needed? There has to be some color on a stoplight that means go and some color that means red. There's no such need for gender.
To differentiate between boys and girls. You can't honestly be saying that the very concept of thinking that boys and girls are different is bad.

Should we just get rid of the entire idea of boy or girl? How far are we going on this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
To differentiate between boys and girls. You can't honestly be saying that the very concept of thinking that boys and girls are different is bad.

Should we just get rid of the entire idea of boy or girl? How far are we going on this?

I don't know about you, but I can differentiate between boys and girls without needing to arbitrarily assign a color to them to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:25 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't know about you, but I can differentiate between boys and girls without needing to arbitrarily assign a color to them to do it.
So please explain what is damaging about there also being a color that does that.

...or just say you have no actual answer which is what I suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Please stop comparing it to racism. It's a bad comparison. I don't think anyone ever wanted to be a slave. Gender roles are a completely different thing.

Well that's what Im asking. So its not the current racism, its the history of it? Your original question was specific to 2016. And im not talking about gender roles. Im talking about actual sexism in hiring practices.

Let me be more specific.

Is it wrong to not hire a qualified candidate because of their color?
Is it wrong to not hire a qualified candidate because on their gender?

And what about the right to vote?

Its not a 1:1 comparison, as I said initially, but there is come crossover in racism and sexism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

That's a strange question. I'm not sure they were ever harder. I mean is it harder to take care of the house and kids and basically be subservient to a husband or to be responsible for feeding the entire household? Both things are hard in different ways.

It seems that as a society we have opened up roles to women that were traditionally reserved for men. But there are traditional women's roles that men can never perform. I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

I realize that the modern women feels like she has it better than her grandmother. Maybe she does. She certainly has more choices. But is she happier? I don't know the answer to that. I've certainly read women talking about the pressure they feel to "have it all."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:34 pm 

Working-class women have it tremendously hard, I would say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So please explain what is damaging about there also being a color that does that.

...or just say you have no actual answer which is what I suspect.

Just say you have no actual answer for why you need a color to differentiate between a boy and a girl, which is what I expect. My original post said it was idiotic, you're the one who keeps bringing up harm and damage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:38 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Just say you have no actual answer for why you need a color to differentiate between a boy and a girl, which is what I expect. My original post said it was idiotic, you're the one who keeps bringing up harm and damage.
So why is it idiotic? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Well that's what Im asking. So its not the current racism, its the history of it? Your original question was specific to 2016. And im not talking about gender roles. Im talking about actual sexism in hiring practices.

Let me be more specific.

Its not a 1:1 comparison, as I said initially, but there is come crossover in racism and sexism.

I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Maybe I haven't articulated it well. I'm not arguing that women haven't been discriminated against in the workplace, nor am I arguing that such a thing is okay. That discrimination has somehow become the focus here and the thing that makes life for a woman "harder" than it is for a man. My point is that there is a long list of things one could cite to argue that men have harder lives, as well as additional components that could be used to make the case for women having it harder. In any case, I find such statements pointless and non-productive, and really, nothing more than whining.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Working-class women have it tremendously hard, I would say.

As do working class men.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody can really say what exactly is so hard about being an American woman in 2016. Some of you just know that it is. Not that this manosphere is the right place to ask the question. Maybe Spaulding will show up.

The one to ask is Caitlyn Jenner.

While my life is not really difficult but it can be depressing at times. The older I get the sadder it can be. I do think women face challenges that men don't, and there are differences between men and women that can't be helped. It's fine and is what it is.

Last edited by Spaulding on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Because there's literally no need to do it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's a strange question. I'm not sure they were ever harder. I mean is it harder to take care of the house and kids and basically be subservient to a husband or to be responsible for feeding the entire household? Both things are hard in different ways.

It seems that as a society we have opened up roles to women that were traditionally reserved for men. But there are traditional women's roles that men can never perform. I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

I realize that the modern women feels like she has it better than her grandmother. Maybe she does. She certainly has more choices. But is she happier? I don't know the answer to that. I've certainly read women talking about the pressure they feel to "have it all."

What was the point of the suffrage movement and all the women's rights movement?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Let me be more specific.

I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Maybe I haven't articulated it well. I'm not arguing that women haven't been discriminated against in the workplace, nor am I arguing that such a thing is okay. That discrimination has somehow become the focus here and the thing that makes life for a woman "harder" than it is for a man. My point is that there is a long list of things one could cite to argue that men have harder lives, as well as additional components that could be used to make the case for women having it harder. In any case, I find such statements pointless and non-productive, and really, nothing more than whining.

Yes, to me at least it seemed like you were denying the discrimination exists or saying it's very rare these days.

I agree at the end of the day any successful person has to get past whatever limitations they may have (societal, genetic or otherwise)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Because there's literally no need to do it. :lol:
It isn't harmful and not damaging so what is the big deal then?

We'll go back to your original quote.
KDdidit wrote:
The sooner we get away from boys wear blue and girls wear pink idiocy the better off we'll be.

So, why will we all be better off?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 pm 

I think we're better off when we don't assign things to genders for literally no reason. Strong take, I know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:29 pm 

Only pink still has a stigma as a "girl" color.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:29 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
I think we're better off when we don't assign things to genders for literally no reason. Strong take, I know.
...and I think we are better off when we worry about actual problems and not things that cause no harm and aren't damaging. Strong take, I know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm 

Quote:
Because literally nothing John McDonough and Jay Blunk do is on accident or by coincidence, the NHL’s quiet announcement that they have concluded their “investigation” of Patrick Kane and have predictably found nothing calls into question a couple other media blips over the past 24 hours.

First, yesterday afternoon the geniuses running the Hawks’ social media department thought it was important to include Patrick Kane and his mother in a tweet acknowledging International Women’s Day, which is insulting and disgusting. And today it leaked that Sports Illustrated will be doing a (regional) cover story on just how much Garbage Dick has had to overcome this year on his way to being the league’s leading scorer and a Hart Trophy front runner. Because John McDonough is very good at his job, these events are not to be viewed as anything other than deliberate and connected.

And the purpose of it is potentially two-fold. At the very least, with any bureaucratic loose ends now tied up with the conclusion of the NHL’s farce of an investigation, which allows McDonough and Blunk to start building a ground game and controlling a narrative ahead of what they figure to be a bright and direct spotlight once again on this team into May and June. The second more stomach-churning purpose is for a potential Masterton Trophy nomination, the NHL’s perseverance award for which every team submits its candidate. It would be a tremendously nauseating and ballsy move on their part, considering recent winners include a widow, a bereaved father, and an MS sufferer. But John McDonough is known for big moves after all.

THIS GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next