It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Naughty Word Police
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Its been an interesting couple of days. With the allegations of Jason Heyward being subjected to N-bombs at Busch (something i dont doubt, but cant get upset at Cardinals fans over - not at least until the assholes in RF at Wrigley stop saying it too) and now camera footage of Andrew Shaw emphatically calling at least a couple people 'burrito' the other night.

In dealing with the latter, the NHL has it's You Can Play Too campaign. At the time of its involvement, NHLPA director Don Fehr had this to say
Quote:
NHL players have supported the You Can Play Project since its inception, which we are pleased to formalize and expand upon with today’s announcement, The players believe our partnership with the NHL and You Can Play will foster an inclusive hockey environment from the grassroots level to the professional ranks.
Quote:

I'm not going to dive into the murky depths of the seemingly polar opposite examples. I fully believe the NHL and the players have an accepting attitude towards the LGBT community. However, and im sure its already happened, the insane variant of twitter - JDC, Rathunde, DiCanada, others, will likely run with this as MOAR EXAMPLE OF NHL DEAFNESS. Which it is not.

These are grown ass men playing - nay - going to work in a Bust Your Ass profession where on a good day, your team scores more goals and you still probably got whacked in the arms, legs, and face by some other dude. Add on every other form of aggressive play throughout and yes, frustrations can and will boil over.

the statement "He shouldnt have called him a burrito" is useless. There have been attempts made to silence that type of shit. and it is shit. But honestly, how can they police it? Do we only penalize or fine the English speaking players because thats who the butt hurt majority is? What of the Slovaks, Russians, and Czechs who undoubtedly use vulgarity in their native tongue? Do we need to demand that Officials on ice must know all languages? We surely have to keep an eye on the Russians. It's practically a rite of passage to assault homosexuals in that country.

Point of diatribe i suppose - some things are just going to happen. the yardstick measuring of hurt feelings needs to be put away.

Post subject: Re: Naughty Word Police
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Social mores change over time. You basically answered your own question. Back in Jackie Robinson's day, he had to endure racial slurs everywhere he went. Today, even the mere hint that Heyward would be slurred is meant with widespread outrage. In time, so will the use of gay slurs be universally denounced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
http://youtu.be/p3OexsI-KjA

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
'Don't Be A burrito' - Beastie Boys original title for 'Licensed to Ill'

https://youtu.be/Fcja4WFFzDw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 am 

this was totally in my mind. i honestly think they use it as a word. not as a slam against homosexuals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Words hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:32 am 

denisdman wrote:
Social mores change over time. You basically answered your own question. Back in Jackie Robinson's day, he had to endure racial slurs everywhere he went. Today, even the mere hint that Heyward would be slurred is meant with widespread outrage. In time, so will the use of gay slurs be universally denounced.

Yep. And im not lamenting it. Its just when you get as close to the game as we can now with mics and cameras on every inch of board and every ref, people need to admit to themselves they may hear or see something they dont agree with, but not to get enraged about

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If I had a new friend and called him a "burrito" and he replied "I'm gay, just so you know, and would appreciate it if you don't call me that", then I'd do that.

Other than that, questioning another man's sexuality is a male bonding experience shared by many great men throughout the history of time. You're telling me we can't use that word in the NHL anymore? #NotMyNHL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:39 am 

"They" are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:40 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
If I had a new friend and called him a "burrito" and he replied "I'm gay, just so you know, and would appreciate it if you don't call me that", then I'd do that.

Other than that, questioning another man's sexuality is a male bonding experience shared by many great men throughout the history of time. You're telling me we can't use that word in the NHL anymore? #NotMyNHL

Sure we all did that. I am just saying we are moving away from use of that language. I am ok with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:43 am 

for anyone who may have wondered what Fels thinks

Quote:
Well, here we are again. Me staring at you, wondering if this is finally the time you’ll do the right thing. You think you’re sick of it…

This one’s obvious. This one’s easy. You don’t have to wait around for the NHL to act, and as we all know there is no guarantee that they will. You don’t need to follow their lead. Take the lead, just once in what has been an utterly miserable year for a section (and a growing one) of your fanbase. For once this season, don’t marginalize a section of your fanbase, one that you’re happy to cater to when it’s a photo op and really a celebration of you. But this is the real test.

Suspend Andrew Shaw yourselves for tomorrow’s game. Don’t wait around for Gary Bettman or the DOPS or whoever else. Take. The Lead. Declare that no current or future player will be allowed to wear your jersey (with however offensive it actually might be in itself) and represent your organization this way. Make it clear it will not ever be tolerated.

Because it is simply inexcusable. “Boys will be boys,” and “in the heat of the moment,” are not viable explanations or excuses. It is in those moments that the true test of instincts and feelings come. It’s easy to sounds tolerant and accepting when you have time to prepare a statement (or have one prepared for you, which is assuredly coming for Mr. Shaw). We are not trying to change what players, and society overall really, say in public. We are trying to change what everyone truly feels. The former is just labeling.

Because here’s the thing, Andrew, if you’re able to process this through what I’m positive is a walnut-sized brain of yours. You probably have a gay teammate. If you don’t now you certainly have in the past. Simple math tells you that. You have a current or former teammate who sees your actions and cringes, and knows he can never tell you or anyone else and be exactly who he is in his workplace and passion. How are you going to look Chris Hine of the Tribune in the eye? I’m sure you don’t care, but a lot of us do.

And I don’t say this as someone with a spotless record. Not even close. You can find it now, I’m sure. After Game 1 against Detroit in ’09, I referred to Jiri Hudler as “Faggy McFagFag.” I’m ashamed of it. I’m repulsed by it. I thought simply being accepting and tolerant was more than enough and I could still use the language I wanted. I soon learned that’s wrong, and part of it was having McClure and Killion chew my ass out for it. But I’m not upset that you can still find it. It’s proof to me of how far one can come if they’re only willing to. An ex once yelled at me for using the term “cocksucker” and explained why. I haven’t since.

Look at the platform you have, Hawks. Especially just weeks after announcing a partnership with You Can Play (though their head Patrick Burke has run for the “Boys will be boys” shelter when it came time to speak out against on-ice behavior, so how much YCP is actually or willing to do is a raging debate in the gay community too). Prove to us that isn’t just more patting yourself on the back. It’s not just another hit on the website.

You may say that this goes on when the cameras aren’t rolling. This kind of talk is prevalent amongst a dressing room of sheltered farm boys who never made it past the eighth grade. That assumes that they can’t change or learn, but even if I grant that it’s about the next generation of players. Because there are kids who will be paying attention and who will learn about acceptance and what is bigotry and what is not. You can set a tone here. You can be more than just lip service and the chance to make another advertisement about the benefit you’re doing for the Chicago community.

Because goddammit, this city is a fucking mess. We have so many problems it’s horrifying. But if there’s one thing we do get right around here, and maybe I’m just being naive, it’s having a vibrant and supported LGBTQ community. And you seem to know this too, Hawks. Or you wouldn’t have made it a point to bring the Cup to the Pride Parade.

You have whiffed on every chance you’ve had this season to support those without a voice, or a very small one, amongst your fanbase. And not just whiffed, but Javy Baez-spin-on-your-heels-and-fall-into-the-left-handed-batter’s-box whiffed. You have fragmented and marginalized it. You even marginalized an actual victim of a sex crime. McD and Blunk, it would be nearly impossible for you to get any lower. The fact that you’ve had multiple chances to do this probably says something about your organization and your running of it as well.

But hey, I know you won’t. You don’t have the guts. You didn’t have the balls when it would have cost you nothing on an NHL ice with Garret Ross. You hid under the covers, and waited for the thunder and lightning to pass and hoped no one would notice. You did it earlier in the season. So did the NHL. And you’ll do it again. You’ve proven what you are.

And that’s fine. If you want to be the Raiders, be the Raiders. We’ll all know that #OneGoal really means that above all else. Nothing else is even counted, much less important. Make it clear that you’re just a business and all you care about all of your fans is when their wallets are open. That is what you do after all. But you know what? The more that becomes clear, the more and more people are going to start to be turned off and sickened by you. This organization is hated by other fans far more than you realize. And it doesn’t have to do with your constant winning, as you’d probably respond. Most didn’t hate you after a third Cup in six years. They do now. Why do you think that is?

You started down this road, and there’s a long way to go on it before you’d actually start to see the results you care about, on the balance sheet. But you keep moving that way. You might actually get there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:45 am 

he's citing every example that, yeah man, kinda makes it acceptable (cameras not rolling, locker room jargon) and just wants to let everyone know THAT HE DOES NOT LIKE IT AT ALL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
should be a fine not a suspension

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:56 am 

unless the league is willing to punish every use in every language, then it should come from the team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:50 am 

NBA find Kobe $100K for the same thing:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news ... id=6344596

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:58 am 

Edzo sounds like he thinks it's going to be a suspension for Shaw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:17 am 

What a bunch of faggotry.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:19 am 

People get too upset about words but it also isn't hard to avoid using the word when you are in public and making huge bucks.

Fine him and move on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
People get too upset about words but

Shit has to end at some point.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
People get too upset about words but it also isn't hard to avoid using the word when you are in public and making huge bucks.

Fine him and move on.

I never thought I would use these words,

BUT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am 

Curious Hare wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Fine him and move on.

Shut up, you shitposting burrito.

This mult, rofl. I don't condone the comment, but I love the mult.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Why does everybody have to evolve at the same time? Why is name calling now the worst crime against humanity ever? Can we still say things like ass pilot, butt pirate, or make fun of people for putting things in their ass?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:47 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spaulding wrote:
Why does everybody have to evolve at the same time? Why is name calling now the worst crime against humanity ever? Can we still say things like ass pilot, butt pirate, or make fun of people for putting things in their ass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07P538K83iU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Spaulding wrote:

Yes

Fuck the PC Police.

Also, don't forget wonderful things like, carpet muncher, ass clown, pillow biter, et al.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 am 

I forgot about that. That's awesome! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 am 

Curious Hare wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Fine him and move on.

Shut up, you shitposting burrito.
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:50 am 

Spaulding wrote:

I was harassed out of an app based video game because of my alleged love of pegging. What is this world cumming to?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Spaulding wrote:

Wait ... it's ass pilot? I thought it was, like it's butt version, ass pirate yarrrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:58 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Don Tiny wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Wait ... it's ass pilot? I thought it was, like it's butt version, ass pirate yarrrrr.

It is odd to me that for some unknown reason ass pirate makes more sense to me than ass pilot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:05 am 

Say, put a light in your butt
Say, make it bright in your butt