It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:01 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

My guy says 3b could have caught and tagged the kid without the throw. Not sure. That's a tough one though.

the kids will be scarred for life now.

His kid had a great last game, but yea, he's gonna take this one with him.

Id say when its a run that can eliminate you from post season, you just run him back to third.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what was the pitcher doing, eating popcorn?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:51 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
what was the pitcher doing, eating popcorn?

Its his kid so I avoided that topic.

He gave up a lead in the last game but then hit a walk off double to win it so all was good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:52 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
I hadn't seen a high school game since I was in high school in the late 80s. I was pretty surprised how good these kids are - big, strong, picture perfect strokes and deliveries.

Being groomed from age six to be a baseball star does produce some really good players. I doubt the wear and tear on arms is a good thing though.

Ran into a Mount Carmel baseball player from the early 90s. They had a pretty good team then, ranked between 6-10 in state. Shame they didn't go downstate, I said. So close. He said, "Ah, we were happy. I mean, I was a football player who liked to play a little baseball. Today's kids are strictly baseball players. A few play football, but they've been raised to get a B+ average and turn double plays since they were eight years old. It's all they know, and it's kind of weird."

He's a high school principal now at a Catholic school in Cincinnati.

lie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:58 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
Edward Dickman wrote:
Baseball is very complicated and difficult to understand. You better bring Jorr with you so he can explain everything to you.

Its quite simple when he explains it. the starting pitcher is the only player that matters. you can ignore eveyone else.

I think if you actually end up attending some of these high school games it may give you a better understanding of just how much more the starting pitchers affect the game than every other player combined.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:22 pm 

the most important but not more important than all the others combined. Unless you throw Chris Sale against a high school team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

but they've been raised to get a B+ average

lie

Most private high schools are really easy. Be respectful and you'll get at least C's. Do your work and have half a brain and you're guaranteed a B/B+.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:35 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Edward Dickman wrote:
Baseball is very complicated and difficult to understand. You better bring Jorr with you so he can explain everything to you.

Its quite simple when he explains it. the starting pitcher is the only player that matters. you can ignore eveyone else.

I think if you actually end up attending some of these high school games it may give you a better understanding of just how much more the starting pitchers affect the game than every other player combined.

Partially true, but in the playoffs, fundamentals assume just as much importance. For many teams, just a few hitters on the opposing team making contact can spell doom because of fielding and throwing errors, not hitting cutoff men, and an inability to throw out runners stealing bases. What's more, some teams can take advantage of a pitcher's wildness (i.e., Providence last year). The fundamentally sound teams can overcome a stud on the mound.

The best player on the best teams isn't always the pitcher, as Bernstein often claims.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:44 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
[
The best player on the best teams isn't always the pitcher, as Bernstein often claims.

Maybe A pitcher but not THE pitcher. One guy doesn't pitch evey game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:53 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
[

Maybe A pitcher but not THE pitcher. One guy doesn't pitch evey game.

Carmel and Providence have a bunch of guys playing in college and the minors who never pitched in high school.....I think kids are specializing even more now. And both teams have had some good pitchers who (from what I have heard; I certainly can't tell) weren't good enough to play a position.

But yeah, some of those kids are studs who would dominate at any position. Amazing. As the world's worst athlete, I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 pm 

St. Laurence advances.....good for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:52 pm 

Warren was missing one of its best bats, No. 3 hitter Matt Burch, who was unavailable due to a commitment with his summer team.

I have never in my life seen this before. You miss the Sectional championship of your Senior year to play in one of 15 plus summer tournaments you go to every year? Also by playing in the summer tourney you forfeit the right to continue playing even if your team had won.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2016 ... lecomments

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:52 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:

They got shut down by Plainfield North tonight.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:58 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Warren was missing one of its best bats, No. 3 hitter Matt Burch, who was unavailable due to a commitment with his summer team.

I have never in my life seen this before. You miss the Sectional championship of your Senior year to play in one of 15 plus summer tournaments you go to every year? Also by playing in the summer tourney you forfeit the right to continue playing even if your team had won.

+1

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
That is so wild that you just brought that up. That is my cousin. His H.S. coach has been giving him a hard time his whole 4 years because Matt chose playing in all star summer leagues over the high school team. This current summer team was set up by Arkansas, which is where he will be playing next year. He was not on best of terms with his coach and didn't enjoy his season despite their winning

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
formerlyknownas wrote:

Viking pride.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
conns7901 wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

They got shut down by Plainfield North tonight.

Cancel Viking pride.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:47 am 

Big Ern wrote:
That is so wild that you just brought that up. That is my cousin. His H.S. coach has been giving him a hard time his whole 4 years because Matt chose playing in all star summer leagues over the high school team. This current summer team was set up by Arkansas, which is where he will be playing next year. He was not on best of terms with his coach and didn't enjoy his season despite their winning

Doesnt he have friends on his high school baseball team?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:32 pm 

You play for your friends, your school and yourself before you play for a coach...unless he is Joe Maddon, then everyone plays for him.

I'd never let my friend live that one down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:49 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
You play for your friends, your school and yourself before you play for a coach...unless he is Joe Maddon, then everyone plays for him.

I'd never let my friend live that one down.

It is a tough call for an 18 year old. This team that he will play for will be playing in all of the showcase tournaments throughout the country and is trying to gain exposure to all of the scouts.
The ones that will suffer will be his teammates that didn't have that opportunity to play at the next level. I am sure there are some teammates feeling a little sour of his decision. He may look back on this with regret.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:56 pm 

Big Ern wrote:

It is a tough call for an 18 year old. This team that he will play for will be playing in all of the showcase tournaments throughout the country and is trying to gain exposure to all of the scouts.
The ones that will suffer will be his teammates that didn't have that opportunity to play at the next level. I am sure there are some teammates feeling a little sour of his decision. He may look back on this with regret.

Missing one travel ball tournament does absolutely nothing in the long term. The kid is signed already for next year. He will be playing in the SEC which has scouts at every single game.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:01 pm 

who knows the situation exactly. maybe coach is a cocksucker. comes a time you say enough is enough.

either that or the kid is a pussy. who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hope Mundelein wins it this year in 4A.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:43 pm 

I find everything about that story very difficult to believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
who knows the situation exactly. maybe coach is a cocksucker. comes a time you say enough is enough.

either that or the kid is a pussy. who knows?

I guarantee you he isnt a pussy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

He's done at Arkansas. Not sure how he ended up there in the first place. Yet another Illinois kick back looking for a junior college. Most of these guys should start out at JC's and then move on from there but that doesn't look as cool on your PBR profile page.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

He's done at Arkansas. Not sure how he ended up there in the first place. Yet another Illinois kick back looking for a junior college. Most of these guys should start out at JC's and then move on from there but that doesn't look as cool on your PBR profile page.

Arkansas also cut ties with an Oak Lawn pitcher this past December before his HS Senior season started. I think he is going to a Juco now

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:58 pm 

He's a non-qualifier which is actually good for him. He had no business going there either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

What they should be doing is finding a college they want to attend irrespective of baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 am 

They should find a school that fits academically and their talent level on the baseball field. If a school wants to give you money to play baseball you obviously should take it but should be a school where they can stay for four years and develop as a baseball player instead of going to a big name school for a year and losing a year of development.