It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
shakes wrote:
anyone who would let their kid play football now with the concussion info we have is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to raise kids.

Within 20 years the NFL will be two hand touch or maybe tackle but only below the waist.

It's starting. Highland Park cancelled youth tackle football this year due to declining participation from parents who won't let their kids play due to head injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
That has been going on for many years even in Western PA. Many parents even without all the hoopla have decided not to have kids play until junior high teams at school.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Tinley Park HS cut their sophomore team.

I have a friend who was refereed HS football for 14 years and he says that he has seen a lot of schools cut their sophomore team. He says it has happened more in the wealthier areas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:10 pm 

I came across this story today. I am not making judgments or conclusions but simply offering it up to the class. It seems we do not get much information from people critical of CTE mania that are not meat heads.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/im-brain-s ... 27314.html

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

Posting an article that you wrote?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 pm 

DAC wrote:

I have a friend who was refereed HS football for 14 years and he says that he has seen a lot of schools cut their sophomore team. He says it has happened more in the wealthier areas.

Tinley Park has a sophomore team.

Argo and Evergreen Park have dropped their frosh teams this season.

Northern Suburbs are dropping Soph football and making it "JV" which is the Sophs and the Juniors who are not very good.

Southern Suburbs are dropping frosh football and going with frosh/soph teams.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
formerlyknownas wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are probably bobcats in it but not in much numbers. Flying squirrel in the woods surrounding it. Turkeys and deer out the wazoo and tons of prairie birds. I think there are 3-4 endangered species in it. The bird I'm thinking about might only be threatened but very rare in Illinois.

I can't believe all the wild turkeys in Western Illinois (or at least Northwestern Illinois).

There are a bunch of turkeys that run around the west side of Wheaton, near Cantigny.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Goin' back home to the village of the sun, out in back of Lombard where the turkey farmers run

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
conns7901 wrote:
DAC wrote:

Tinley Park has a sophomore team.

Argo and Evergreen Park have dropped their frosh teams this season.

Northern Suburbs are dropping Soph football and making it "JV" which is the Sophs and the Juniors who are not very good.

Southern Suburbs are dropping frosh football and going with frosh/soph teams.

You're right it was their freshman team they dropped. I thought it was the sophomore team. They had 9 freshman show up on the first day. I was just talking to a neighbor who teaches at TP yesterday about this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 am 

Out here in Western PA where football is likely only less popular than TX, FL and AL there seems to be no such thing as freshman and sophomore teams. There strictly is a JV and a Varsity and it seems to have always been this way. I think places that have had all the other variations of HS football teams was a function of so many kids. It seems here the schools are much smaller in total enrollment.

So while the loss of some of those teams in Illinois means something a school having just a varsity and JV is not really a sign of the death of football.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
We had a Freshman B and C and Sophomore B team at Lyons Township around 1990. Wonder what we have now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am 

Chus wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are probably bobcats in it but not in much numbers. Flying squirrel in the woods surrounding it. Turkeys and deer out the wazoo and tons of prairie birds. I think there are 3-4 endangered species in it. The bird I'm thinking about might only be threatened but very rare in Illinois.

I can't believe all the wild turkeys in Western Illinois (or at least Northwestern Illinois).

There are a bunch of turkeys that run around the west side of Wheaton, near Cantigny.

Some of them are on the football team