It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Is Auriemma retiring?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 pm 

what are the open head coaching gigs?

A little birdie told me he has two kids in high school and wouldn't be looking to move until they get out. A bigger program putting 10 million over five years tends to change perspective though.

If Loyola ponies up, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays as they are poised for another good year next year and his stock will be even better. He is only a little over .500 over the last seven years, even with this great run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
what are the open head coaching gigs?

A little birdie told me he has two kids in high school and wouldn't be looking to move until they get out. A bigger program putting 10 million over five years tends to change perspective though.

If Loyola ponies up, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays as they are poised for another good year next year and his stock will be even better. He is only a little over .500 over the last seven years, even with this great run.

It depends on how quickly the FBI stuff comes out. Could be a huge domino effect. Can they pay close to a place like Missouri State? 350k?

I'm not sure a big school is calling after one year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Agreed.. But what about U of I?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:55 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Agreed.. But what about U of I?

Depends if the FBI takes out Underwood. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am 

If Moser goes, how about sticking a thumb in De Paul's eye and hiring Rod Strickland?

It sounds like LU and Moser are negotiating a raise rather than him leaving. If I were the AD I would get that short list ready and fully vetted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am 

I think the tell on this game tonight is if Nevada plays below 65. Above they win, below the Ramblers win.

Nevada is a great offensive team but they are nowhere near the quality of a Tennessee in terms of all around play. I think Loyola defends them relentlessly and wins this one 65-59.

The team seems incredibly loose for being there the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 am 

good dolphin wrote:
If Moser goes, how about sticking a thumb in De Paul's eye and hiring Rod Strickland?

It sounds like LU and Moser are negotiating a raise rather than him leaving. If I were the AD I would get that short list ready and fully vetted.

That would be a fatal blow to the folks on Belden Ave. And would have to lead to Jean Ponsetto's long overdue firing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 pm 

And Loyola moves on - and Good dolphin is right on the prediction

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am 

It really is fun to have a rooting interest in big time college basketball again.

I was full on meatball last night screaming at the TV about refs and things of that nature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 am 

It's great to have a lovable mascot in Sister Jean. She represents sportsmanship in college basketball well. The one complaint is that I don't hear her praising God in her interviews. I'm not one who particularly cares for it from players but it certainly would be in character for a nun talking about a Catholic school.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 am 

good dolphin wrote:
It's great to have a lovable mascot in Sister Jean. She represents sportsmanship in college basketball well. The one complaint is that I don't hear her praising God in her interviews. I'm not one who particularly cares for it from players but it certainly would be in character for a nun talking about a Catholic school.

I think that the savviest thing she's done is temper down most ideology, give credit to prayer, the hard work, character and integrity of all involved. It comes across as inclusive and welcoming to even hardened asswipes like me,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:56 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think that the savviest thing she's done is temper down most ideology, give credit to prayer, the hard work, character and integrity of all involved. It comes across as inclusive and welcoming to even hardened asswipes like me,

I'm not asking her to do backflips down the court Jake Blues style. I just haven't heard any reference to God. She has been a great representative otherwise and I guess you can go with "they will know you are my disciples if you love one another".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:09 am 

Works for me.

:alien:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

Maybe she's taking her cues from that renegade Jesuit Pope who said, "Forget about the Bible, I'm your God now! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm not asking her to do backflips down the court Jake Blues style. I just haven't heard any reference to God. She has been a great representative otherwise and I guess you can go with "they will know you are my disciples if you love one another".

She said just last night that her lucky charm was prayer. That’s plenty.

These networks need to stop trotting her into these interviews anyway. She’s a human being, not a mascot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:47 pm 

It was my son's birthday yesterday so I wanted to get him some Final Four gear. I went to the campus bookstore and the place was packed with people who were obviously not students. They had run out of popular sizes in most of their stuff and were ordering more for Thursday. That bookstore is usually a pretty sleepy place.

They must be making a lot more money than I thought with this run.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm 

I just looked it up. A run to the Final Four brought $8 of revenue to the conference with encouragement to split it evenly among the members. If that is true this run added $800K for the school right off the bat. I would imagine that equity would dictate Loyola getting to wet its beak a little better than others.

I know they have been soliciting from alums through e-mail on an almost daily basis. Merchandise sales, as I said, are through the roof.

Then there is the tangential bonus of increased applications. I have read how much a place like Duke that is a popular application anyway sees its applications spike in years they win the national championships. I know from first hand experience that Villanova has gone from a good school but one you could reliably expect to gain acceptance to a difficult place to gain acceptance. The school takes in that money for the increased application whether they accept or not.

Hopefully this means good things for the school financially even after factoring in the raise Moser will get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I just looked it up. A run to the Final Four brought $8 of revenue to the conference with encouragement to split it evenly among the members. If that is true this run added $800K for the school right off the bat. I would imagine that equity would dictate Loyola getting to wet its beak a little better than others.

I know they have been soliciting from alums through e-mail on an almost daily basis. Merchandise sales, as I said, are through the roof.

Then there is the tangential bonus of increased applications. I have read how much a place like Duke that is a popular application anyway sees its applications spike in years they win the national championships. I know from first hand experience that Villanova has gone from a good school but one you could reliably expect to gain acceptance to a difficult place to gain acceptance. The school takes in that money for the increased application whether they accept or not.

Hopefully this means good things for the school financially even after factoring in the raise Moser will get.

It definitely should. Plus, those applications--it will be interesting to see how much the percentage increases. The President of the University of Alabama once said that his best marketing tool was Nick Saban. (He should have put an emphasis on tool, by the way.)

Same experience with Nova!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Why the fuck should Loyola split it evenly amongst the conference teams. It should be 75 % loyola and whack the other 25 % up amongst the conference.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 am 

312player wrote:
Why the fuck should Loyola split it evenly amongst the conference teams. It should be 75 % loyola and whack the other 25 % up amongst the conference.

they don't split the money goes to the conference and it decides

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am 

great run and had Michigan right where they wanted them but couldn't finish. I would love to believe this is the beginning of a Butler or Gonzaga rather than a George Mason.

It was fun to have a real rooting interest in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am 

The team was at the Bulls game Saturday night and received the loudest cheers of the game. Rest of night the crowd was silent, except for the Coolio performance and when the dizzy fat guys fell over trying to make a basket during a timeout.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 am 

shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:
and that 85 Loyola team was no cinderella. They were a #4 seed and made it to the sweet 16 before going down with a valiant fight vs #1 Georgetown.

Didn't Hughes lead the NCAA in scoring that year? He was awesome.

I think Loyola will start off next year as a top 25 team and have the benefit of the doubt they haven't received this year.

There is literally zero chance Loyola starts the season in the top 25. they may get there eventually if they go on some ridiculous undefeated run, but no chance they start the year there.

shakes, is your opinion altered on this point at all because of the NCAA run?

I'm asking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:
and that 85 Loyola team was no cinderella. They were a #4 seed and made it to the sweet 16 before going down with a valiant fight vs #1 Georgetown.

Didn't Hughes lead the NCAA in scoring that year? He was awesome.

I think Loyola will start off next year as a top 25 team and have the benefit of the doubt they haven't received this year.

There is literally zero chance Loyola starts the season in the top 25. they may get there eventually if they go on some ridiculous undefeated run, but no chance they start the year there.

shakes, is your opinion altered on this point at all because of the NCAA run?

I'm asking

Uh, oh

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22966716/college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-rankings-2018-19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
walked into Dick's today and was greeted with 3 racks of Loyola F4 shirts, all marked down to $1. Of course I grabbed one. That's called playing the market.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:56 pm 

Knocked off vanderbilt on the road and have now won 5 in a row to get to 8-4. This team may surprise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
Knocked off vanderbilt on the road and have now won 5 in a row to get to 8-4. This team may surprise

Not this year. Vanderbilt is lousy and the recent streak is littered with nobodies. Worse, the losses are atrocious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Not this year. Vanderbilt is lousy and the recent streak is littered with nobodies. Worse, the losses are atrocious.

True but they are freshman and transfer heavy. They may be starting to coalesce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:33 pm 

14-7 and 7-2 half way through. Tied for conference lead. Unfortunately the lost in ot on the road to co leader uni. Still I’d say that game was a good indication. Get themagain in Chicago and take the regular seasons championship

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next