It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:48 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
The old multiplier rule has changed.

If you are a private school that wins regionals, you may eventually be moved up a class. The IHSA has what they call a Success factor.

From What I know about it that is it. You cannot be a crappy team trying to move up. There really isn't much difference between 2A and 3A. 3A is usually better anyway. I think it had to do with Depaul's particular region. Uplift and a few other schools are in it I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Four classes based on enrollment, but then oops we have to multiply for various things, and oh wait, they're a private school so let's penalize them some more..... that whole thing is fucking stupid, and small schools allowing CPS multiple entries in various classes in order to get four-class basketball is even dumber.

My wish is for schools located in the City of Chicago to win all 8 titles one year - four boys, four girls.

If they want to go to multiple classes, go with three:
- Open tournament class. The actual state champion. Any school which wishes to compete can enter the open class, and any school who got to a certain point of success the year before must compete in the open class.
- Large schools class - today's 2A through 4A
- Small schools class - today's 1A

Have the large/small tournaments one weekend, then the open tournament the next weekend. Play the girls and then the boys open final the first Saturday night of NCAA March Madness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

If you are a private school that wins regionals, you may eventually be moved up a class. The IHSA has what they call a Success factor.

From What I know about it that is it. You cannot be a crappy team trying to move up. There really isn't much difference between 2A and 3A. 3A is usually better anyway. I think it had to do with Depaul's particular region. Uplift and a few other schools are in it I believe.

Uplift and Orr.

And Uplift may not even win their regional.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Uplift beat Northridge by two. One of the nest high school hoops games I've ever seen. Back and forth the whole way until Uplift scored with 2 seconds left to win the regional.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:15 am 

Plays for a high level team and a connected coach. No one is interested. Reminds me a bit of Max Strus. No one would offer him. The state directional schools didn't think he was athletic enough despite the fact he almost beat Simeon by himself in the state playoffs. After a season at Lewis, those same coaches were trying to get him to transfer.

Why won't any college offer Morgan Park's Cam Burrell?
Michael O'Brien

PEORIA—The dismal state of college basketball in Illinois over the past decade is well-documented.

On Friday at Carver Arena, one example of why Illinois colleges are struggling to make the NCAA Tournament was streaking up and down the court blocking shots, dunking and rebounding. Morgan Park’s Cam Burrell has been one of the state’s best players this season, but no local college seems to care.

The 6-6 senior averaged 18 points and 13 rebounds. Those aren’t hollow numbers. The Mustangs play in the Red-South/Central, one of the best high school conferences in the nation. Morgan Park traveled all over the country this season, playing teams from six different states.

Burrell was a dominant force in all of those games. He was the talk of Peoria on Friday afternoon after scoring 22 points and grabbing 10 rebounds in Morgan Park’s Class 3A state semifinal win against Marian Catholic, a team with plenty of size.

One Peoria-based reporter asked me if it was possible that Burrell really shot 91 percent from the field this season. Morgan Park has a reputation for fudging a bit on their stats. I told him I wasn’t sure about 91 percent, but I’d probably buy 70 or 80.

Then Burrell went out and shot 10-for-11 from the field in the Mustangs’ biggest game of the season.

Fans all over the state were watching the game and asking about Burrell on Twitter, everyone assumed he had already signed with a major Division I college or had a lengthy list of scholarship offers.

After the game, Burrell laid out his situation: “My only offer is from Chicago State but their coaches got fired so I don’t know about that.”
Sponsored video

Burrell says there are some coaches texting him and showing a little interest.

“There have been some texing,” Burrell said. “Louisiana-Monroe, Bradley, Eastern Illinois, Quinnipiac, East Tennessee State, St. Bonaventure. That’s it.”

Burrell’s situation is eerily similar to where Lucas Williamson was last season. Williamson was Young’s best player. He led them to the Class 4A state title and was one of the city’s best players for all four years of his high school career. He had a couple of very low-DI offers and nothing else when the state tournament ended.

This season, as a freshman, he’s been a key player for a Loyola squad that is in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

“I’ve watched [Williamson] on TV yesterday and I was thinking about that,” Burrell said. “It was pretty interesting seeing how he played in that game.”

So why hasn’t any college other than Chicago State offered Burrell a scholarship? Most likely he didn’t impress over the summer. College coaches value club basketball quite a bit more than high school these days.

But because he’s a city kid, Burrell has to deal with everyone wondering if he has lousy grades or a bad attitude. That’s simply not true.

“I’m a qualifier,” Burrell said. “I don’t know why they aren’t offering. I’m just trying to stay focused and win a state championship. After the season I’ll try and figure that out.”

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:15 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Plays for a high level team and a connected coach. No one is interested. Reminds me a bit of Max Strus. No one would offer him. The state directional schools didn't think he was athletic enough despite the fact he almost beat Simeon by himself in the state playoffs. After a season at Lewis, those same coaches were trying to get him to transfer.

Michael O'Brien

PEORIA—The dismal state of college basketball in Illinois over the past decade is well-documented.

On Friday at Carver Arena, one example of why Illinois colleges are struggling to make the NCAA Tournament was streaking up and down the court blocking shots, dunking and rebounding. Morgan Park’s Cam Burrell has been one of the state’s best players this season, but no local college seems to care.

The 6-6 senior averaged 18 points and 13 rebounds. Those aren’t hollow numbers. The Mustangs play in the Red-South/Central, one of the best high school conferences in the nation. Morgan Park traveled all over the country this season, playing teams from six different states.

Burrell was a dominant force in all of those games. He was the talk of Peoria on Friday afternoon after scoring 22 points and grabbing 10 rebounds in Morgan Park’s Class 3A state semifinal win against Marian Catholic, a team with plenty of size.

One Peoria-based reporter asked me if it was possible that Burrell really shot 91 percent from the field this season. Morgan Park has a reputation for fudging a bit on their stats. I told him I wasn’t sure about 91 percent, but I’d probably buy 70 or 80.

Then Burrell went out and shot 10-for-11 from the field in the Mustangs’ biggest game of the season.

Fans all over the state were watching the game and asking about Burrell on Twitter, everyone assumed he had already signed with a major Division I college or had a lengthy list of scholarship offers.

After the game, Burrell laid out his situation: “My only offer is from Chicago State but their coaches got fired so I don’t know about that.”
Sponsored video

“There have been some texing,” Burrell said. “Louisiana-Monroe, Bradley, Eastern Illinois, Quinnipiac, East Tennessee State, St. Bonaventure. That’s it.”

Burrell’s situation is eerily similar to where Lucas Williamson was last season. Williamson was Young’s best player. He led them to the Class 4A state title and was one of the city’s best players for all four years of his high school career. He had a couple of very low-DI offers and nothing else when the state tournament ended.

This season, as a freshman, he’s been a key player for a Loyola squad that is in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

“I’ve watched [Williamson] on TV yesterday and I was thinking about that,” Burrell said. “It was pretty interesting seeing how he played in that game.”

So why hasn’t any college other than Chicago State offered Burrell a scholarship? Most likely he didn’t impress over the summer. College coaches value club basketball quite a bit more than high school these days.

But because he’s a city kid, Burrell has to deal with everyone wondering if he has lousy grades or a bad attitude. That’s simply not true.

“I’m a qualifier,” Burrell said. “I don’t know why they aren’t offering. I’m just trying to stay focused and win a state championship. After the season I’ll try and figure that out.”

It has more to do with the fact that he really didn't play at Morgan Park until this season. He was an 8th or 9th man last season.

It still doesn't relate to my original point which is that none of the transfers were offerred while playing at Catholic Schools.

Xavier Pinson is going to Missouri because of Simeon. Not Catholic Schools or AAU.

Chase Adams was offerred by UIC because of Orr High School. Not AAU or MC.

Cam Burrell was not on anyone's radar because he didn't play much until this year. His Brother and another kid were the starting bigs for Morgan Park last year.

That doesn't even begin to address D2 and D3 schools. Most of them are offerring kids based on seeing them play high school ball.

The kid also may have had unrealistic expectations. One of the things that is impacting kids and their recruitment are the expectations that they and their parents have. Every kid thinks that they are Kentucky or Duke bound. They may be a Milliken Univ talent but they will only listen to offers from Div 1 schools.

Their level is D2 or D3 yet they can't accept it. They blow off coaches from those programs because they think they are D1 players. When D1s don't check for them they end up without a school.

You don't attend schools like Morgan Park and end up without a college to attend. There is no way that is going to happen.
He will play college basketball somewhere next year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:27 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:

Michael O'Brien

Sponsored video

Seacrest is right again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20 am 

Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Michael O'Brien

Sponsored video

Seacrest is right again.

The offers began floating in for Burrell as a result of his play with Morgan Park not AAU. About 3-5 Div 1 schools offerred him after this article was published

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 am 

long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Michael O'Brien

Sponsored video

Seacrest is right again.

The offers began floating in for Burrell as a result of his play with Morgan Park not AAU. About 3-5 Div 1 schools offerred him after this article was published

It took a newspaper article to get him offers. Not his play at Morgan Park.

And if they lose in the sectional final there is no article and are no offers. It took playing in the title game for one of the most connected coaches around to get schools like EIU to offer.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 am 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Michael O'Brien

Sponsored video

Seacrest is right again.

It took a newspaper article to get him offers. Not his play at Morgan Park.

And if they lose in the sectional final there is no article and are no offers. It took playing in the title game for one of the most connected coaches around to get schools like EIU to offer.

Newspaper articles don't get kids offers. That kid had a great season. His play got him offerred. From what its worth he'd been offerred by Chicago State.

He was going to play college basketball whether that article was written or not. He was going no lower than D2. Schools such as Simeon, Morgan Park, and Whitney Young never have a problem getting kids in school. When you look at this year's Orr team it was Orr that got Drake, Smith, and Adams offerred.

Lincoln Park kid Shannon got offerred from playing at Lincoln Park too.

This notion that it is all about AAU is fallacious.