It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IHSA Hoops 2018-19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Saw a couple DePaul Prep games last week. Hard to believe there is a team with a quicker starting five then these guys. Raheem Anthony is a serious player at this level. He juked a kid from Lane so bad Friday night I think the kid's shoes are still stuck to the floor. The Von Steuben team was there just watching and they gave him a standing ovation.

Also, this Blake Peters kid from Evanston is like Jay Shidler Part II.

Post subject: Re: IHSA Hoops 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

The assistant coach and father of Leo's best player successfully got the head coach fired today.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:06 am 

conns7901 wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-spt-boys-basketball-leo-st-1129-story.html

The assistant coach and father of Leo's best player successfully got the head coach fired today.

Yeah I know Fred and i've met the fired coach before. Fred angled for the guy's job from the moment he got the Assistant's gig. He has two more kids coming through the pipeline one of whom they promoted up as a Freshman. There were a number of parents that were upset about that. I don't know about the backstory involving previous incidents with the fired coach though. Had not heard about suspensions from previous years but the stuff about Fred angling for the job are true.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 am 

York coach takes a shot at Young. Young coach got into trouble with IHSA for recruiting one of the players in his district when he was at Hinsdale South a few years ago.

“The kid from Fenwick is really good, [Slaughter] did a great job of recruiting him,” Doran said. “You almost feel like you’re playing an all-star team from the city and the suburbs. I’m certainly not suggesting that, but I’m proud of our kids — our kids live in Elmhurst and they came out and battled.”

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
A reasonable chance that city schools win all four classes on the boys' side. That'll be fun to watch downstate small school principals choke on that, they gave up the single bid to the AA quarterfinals for CPS when they went to four classes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Little Crest's old baseball coach, Wade Hardtke, is the head coach at Glenbard South. We drove out to Marengo last night for the sectional final they played against Burlington.

He has two sons playing for him. A senior and a sophomore. The senior got into foul trouble and sat most of the game. Burlington took the lead with five minutes left. His sophomore son, comes in and scores 7 of their last nine points to win the sectional.

It was his second game back after cancer surgery just 35 days before. Pretty impressive on all different kind of levels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Seacrest wrote:
Little Crest's old baseball coach, Wade Hardtke, is the head coach at Glenbard South. We drove out to Marengo last night for the sectional final they played against Burlington.

He has two sons playing for him. A senior and a sophomore. The senior got into foul trouble and sat most of the game. Burlington took the lead with five minutes left. His sophomore son, comes in and scores 7 of their last nine points to win the sectional.

It was his second game back after cancer surgery just 35 days before. Pretty impressive on all different kind of levels.

:salut:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
North Lawndale an Farragut got into a brawl in the fourth quarter of their sectional, and spectators got involved. Double forfeit, and DePaul Prep gets to skip the supersectional and go to Peoria.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am 

He is right about how it is the adults have changed more than the kids over the years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
conns7901 wrote:

He is right about how it is the adults have changed more than the kids over the years.

In many more ways than sports. Look at yesterday's news geez.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:05 pm 

...mistake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

It is so true. If you have 12 kids on a high school varsity team it can be like 12 separate corporations. Everyone has their own agenda. Hate to label all parents because there are some that are actually cool. They want the best for their kid and don't attempt to compromise the goals of the team in the process. There are a lot however that will torpedo the team if they and their child's agenda aren't actualized.

Call the board, meet with Principals, try to get coaches fired etc. It is hell being a high school basketball coach these days. The crazy thing about it is that currently I think we have the best collection of coaches in the Public League that we have ever had. There are some guys out there that can flat out get it done behind the bench. Much better than when I played. The guys they have today are true basketball guys. Back in the day most of the coaches were teachers/counselors that tended to volunteer coach more than anything.

The guys today that coach at top programs make it a year round job to coach basketball. Unfortunately the parents don't see and appreciate that. If their child isn't D1 or a future NBA star its the coaches fault. Very few if any really want to hear the truth. They will tell you that they know their kid "isn't all that" in private but they are reluctant to have the exact same message relayed to their child.

I remember a parent got mad at one of my guys that is a coach for daring to say that her son might be a "D2" player. She was unwilling to hear it so she did everything in her power to disprove it. Emailed our guy that was an Assistant at a major university hoping that he would recruit him. She also decided that he wasn't going to entertain offers unless they were from a D1 school.

When the smoke cleared he ended up attending a crappy JUCO which won 3 games that year. After his freshman year he transferred to a NAIA school where he rides the bench. I'm sure that he will end up transferring because he thinks he is better than the school he is currently attending. All of this because his parent refuses to accept reality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
conns7901 wrote:

The kids have still changed though. I heard it from every high school coach I spoke with this year.

I'm really not sure why any kid who is not a D-1 player would invest their time in an AAU program. Most of it is like watching a bad NBA game.