It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Illini Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
I know this might be an easy question to answer but it still puzzles me. As Bruce Weber makes another NCAA appearance, what the fuck were they thinking when they let him go. There may be another coach out there that has consistently done more with so little but I cant really think of one. When he actually had talent he made the championship game.

Post subject: Re: Illini Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
O' for the love of God!

I'll quote from the "Fire Brad Underwood" thread....

Peter Puck wrote:
One Post wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread and I don't know why I thought of it last night.

IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) at the very least nobody was sad to see Bruce Weber go, and more likely people (fans/alumni/media) were happy to push Weber out the door. Since Bruce Weber left UoI, he has went 150-88 at KSU, 5 tournament appearances in 7 seasons with an Elite Eight run in there, and he's currently sitting with the #4 seed in a regional (against a frisky UC Irvine squad - WATCH OUT).

In comparison the Groce/Underwood combo has 1 tournament appearance in 7 seasons and nothing resembling an Elite Eight run.

The fact that that mother fucking piece of shit trashed what was on the verge of becoming an elite program has no bearing on the idiots who run things in Champaign being unable to hire competent coaches. In fact, he made their job more difficult and they lacked the intelligence to overcome the difficulties caused by Weber. Fuck Weber. Fuck Guenther. Fuck Mike Thomas. Fuck Wonderboy Whitman. I hope Weber gets run over by a bus and then rabid raccoons eat his intestines.

I hope you have a nice day, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
The problem with Illinois is they thought they were about to be the next blue chip program. The truth is, they were just going through an few great years. Bruce was/is a solid coach who can field competitive teams. But Illinois fans think they can be Duke now, so they won't accept solid teams with the occasional Elite 8, maybe final 4 run once a decade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FavreFan wrote:
Illinois should move to the MAC or whatever a shittier conference is so they have more of a chance of making an Abiline Christian type appearance in the tournament every couple years.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This is a good post. Both Weber and Zook should have never been fired, in hindsight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:27 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
This is a good post. Both Weber and Zook should have never been fired, in hindsight.

I think it drove Illini fans crazy that Self left for Kansas and Weber was always compared to what he supposedly would have done there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I think it drove Illini fans crazy that Self left for Kansas and Weber was always compared to what he supposedly would have done there.

Not getting Scheyer was a bad look too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Zook should have. That guy was a joke. Illinois has to find some one who can win 6-7 games consistently. I'm not saying any of the ones since Zook is them, I'm just saying he wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:42 pm 

Zook couldn't coach for shit but was a great recruiter. That alone got them to a rose bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:59 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Zook couldn't coach for shit but was a great recruiter. That alone got them to a rose bowl.

Luck got them to the Rose Bowl. He didn’t win shit with all of that talent the rest of his tenure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:13 pm 

"the Groce/Underwood combo"

I'd completely forgotten the former, and can never remember the latter's name.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 pm 

Weber showing off his great coaching ability today :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:

To be fair, I don't think he told his kids to act like morons and constantly foul in a one possession game.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

To be fair, I don't think he told his kids to act like morons and constantly foul in a one possession game.

Lets say that he did

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 pm 

I could stabbed on the Blue Line tonight and it would still be a great day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Better job than Underwood did today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:02 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Better job than Underwood did today.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Big Chicagoan wrote:
The problem with Illinois is they thought they were about to be the next blue chip program. The truth is, they were just going through an few great years. Bruce was/is a solid coach who can field competitive teams. But Illinois fans think they can be Duke now, so they won't accept solid teams with the occasional Elite 8, maybe final 4 run once a decade.

They were without question an upper echelon team from the 80s through the early 2000s. Not Duke, Kansas, Ky, UNC...etc but a pretty consistent top 25 program.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Caller Bob wrote:

Kruger was the best recruiter they had outside of Self. The only guy to get 3 consecutive Mr. Illinois Basketball signees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Peter Puck wrote:
O' for the love of God!

Peter Puck wrote:
One Post wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed in this thread and I don't know why I thought of it last night.

IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong) at the very least nobody was sad to see Bruce Weber go, and more likely people (fans/alumni/media) were happy to push Weber out the door. Since Bruce Weber left UoI, he has went 150-88 at KSU, 5 tournament appearances in 7 seasons with an Elite Eight run in there, and he's currently sitting with the #4 seed in a regional (against a frisky UC Irvine squad - WATCH OUT).

In comparison the Groce/Underwood combo has 1 tournament appearance in 7 seasons and nothing resembling an Elite Eight run.

The fact that that mother fucking piece of shit trashed what was on the verge of becoming an elite program has no bearing on the idiots who run things in Champaign being unable to hire competent coaches. In fact, he made their job more difficult and they lacked the intelligence to overcome the difficulties caused by Weber. Fuck Weber. Fuck Guenther. Fuck Mike Thomas. Fuck Wonderboy Whitman. I hope Weber gets run over by a bus and then rabid raccoons eat his intestines.

I think fucking morons like you are the problem. Illinois never has been and never will be an elite program. They should be happy making the tournament every other year or two out of every three. Maybe a deep run every 5 to 10 years. The fact that he lost today means absolutely nothing to me. It is still much better than Illinois has done or will do anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 am 

The Man wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:
O' for the love of God!

Peter Puck wrote:
One Post wrote:

I think fucking morons like you are the problem. Illinois never has been and never will be an elite program. They should be happy making the tournament every other year or two out of every three. Maybe a deep run every 5 to 10 years. The fact that he lost today means absolutely nothing to me. It is still much better than Illinois has done or will do anytime soon.

You aren't a man. You are an idiot like your man Bruth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
The Man wrote:
I know this might be an easy question to answer but it still puzzles me. As Bruce Weber makes another NCAA appearance, what the fuck were they thinking when they let him go. There may be another coach out there that has consistently done more with so little but I cant really think of one. When he actually had talent he made the championship game.

Everybody was happy when Bruce left.

He sucked. Was terrible. I actually enjoy watching this year's team more than any of Bruce's teams post-2007.

Bruce would destroy any talent that he had, forcing offensive guys to become defensive players and destroying their instincts and athleticism.

How Bruce has done so good at KSU is beyond me. I think he's had some talented players that have carried him into winning seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:01 am 

whistler wrote:
The Man wrote:

Everybody was happy when Bruce left.

He sucked. Was terrible. I actually enjoy watching this year's team more than any of Bruce's teams post-2007.

Bruce would destroy any talent that he had, forcing offensive guys to become defensive players and destroying their instincts and athleticism.

How Bruce has done so good at KSU is beyond me. I think he's had some talented players that have carried him into winning seasons.

So, he destroys talent or let's the talent carry him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
The Man wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:
O' for the love of God!

Peter Puck wrote:
One Post wrote:

They're the best program not to have won a national championship, I'd say. They just finished up their worst back-to-back seasons in nearly four decades. So they'll be fine.

Weber took a program that was at one of its highest points ever--and then alienated everyone. He had to go. Whether he is winning at K-State doesn't matter; he had to go. The players ended up hating him and the media didn't respect him for blaming his players too much. I like him and pull for K-State, but the guy had to go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 pm 

tommy wrote:
They're the best program not to have won a national championship, I'd say. They just finished up their worst back-to-back seasons in nearly four decades. So they'll be fine.

The University of Houston might want to have some speaks with you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Bruce got screwed when his players got drunk and left a guy they thought was dead in the parking lot. Everything went downhill after that.

Bruce can take a group of decent talent and coach them to run a system that can win games, many games. With superior talent, and buy-in, he was able to make that system into one of the great teams of recent decades.

But, he didn't recruit well and when he lost some of the actual talent he had to outside issues, it set him back too far to recover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
And, for the record, it's a boring-ass system. Excruciating to watch which explains his recruiting issues.

But, he did win games with it for many years. There was only 1 year the team was not .500 and he continued that with Kansas State.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Bruce is a good hopper. I don't deny he has coaching talent, but I don't think he can recruit well unless he has a record to point to, which he has. EDIT I meant Illinois doesn't have a good record.

That being said, I give a shoutout to Painter at Purdue because they are so similar, but you have some action going there.

(But I will put Purdue and Illinois football still in the pay no mind list.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:09 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
tommy wrote:

They've won one March Madness game in eight years and two in the last thirteen, that's more than two bad seasons. They're Downstate DePaul.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:27 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
One Post wrote:
tommy wrote:

The University of Houston might want to have some speaks with you.

Most def!! That three years on, twenty years off thing they got going on is amazing. Football, too.