It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Illini Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
tommy wrote:
They're the best program not to have won a national championship, I'd say. They just finished up their worst back-to-back seasons in nearly four decades. So they'll be fine.

They've won one March Madness game in eight years and two in the last thirteen, that's more than two bad seasons. They're Downstate DePaul.

Did you just google that? If you did, go look at their year-by-year records.

Never understood the Illini hate here. I don't even care, but it is misinformed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Bruce got screwed when his players got drunk and left a guy they thought was dead in the parking lot. Everything went downhill after that.

Bruce can take a group of decent talent and coach them to run a system that can win games, many games. With superior talent, and buy-in, he was able to make that system into one of the great teams of recent decades.

But, he didn't recruit well and when he lost some of the actual talent he had to outside issues, it set him back too far to recover.

I'd say the beginning of the end was when he was forced to take Richmond, who he didn't want, in order to answer questions about his recruiting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:59 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
This is a good post. Both Weber and Zook should have never been fired, in hindsight.

Kruger was the best recruiter they had outside of Self. The only guy to get 3 consecutive Mr. Illinois Basketball signees.

#verdad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 am 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
This is a good post. Both Weber and Zook should have never been fired, in hindsight.

Kruger was the best recruiter they had outside of Self. The only guy to get 3 consecutive Mr. Illinois Basketball signees.

#verdad

The problem with that is Mr. Illinois Basketball often sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
tommy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
tommy wrote:
They're the best program not to have won a national championship, I'd say. They just finished up their worst back-to-back seasons in nearly four decades. So they'll be fine.

They've won one March Madness game in eight years and two in the last thirteen, that's more than two bad seasons. They're Downstate DePaul.

Did you just google that? If you did, go look at their year-by-year records.

Never understood the Illini hate here. I don't even care, but it is misinformed.

How is it misinformed? They are as irrelevant as can possibly be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am 

tommy wrote:
One Post wrote:
tommy wrote:

The University of Houston might want to have some speaks with you.

Most def!! That three years on, twenty years off thing they got going on is amazing. Football, too.

University of Houston Basketball is best known for "The Game of the Century", University of Illinois Basketball is best known for Lou Henson's toupee.

You look at the body of work (especially the last 50 years or so), and the Houston program is more successful than Illinois on essentially every measure. Sorry you have to find out this way, but it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 am 

I still never get the Illini fanbase being obsessed with "recruiting Chicago". The elite talent gets taken by a few national programs and then the rest are no better than any other area. That doesn't mean you ignore the area when there is a recruit that makes sense for your program but it seems like a lot of Illini fans want them to just go after anyone in the top 5 in the area because you share the same state capital. At least Underwood seems willing to let assistants pay for players though so it may work better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am 

One Post wrote:
tommy wrote:
One Post wrote:
tommy wrote:

The University of Houston might want to have some speaks with you.

Most def!! That three years on, twenty years off thing they got going on is amazing. Football, too.

University of Houston Basketball is best known for "The Game of the Century", University of Illinois Basketball is best known for Lou Henson's toupee.

You look at the body of work (especially the last 50 years or so), and the Houston program is more successful than Illinois on essentially every measure. Sorry you have to find out this way, but it's true.

Come on, OnePost....it was a fantastic toupee!!! He also had an orange sports coat. Fabulous. They also played against the Fab Five. It's all there.

Interesting data set: Houston didn't start playing until the 50s. This means that there literally was no comparison for the fiddy years prior. Add Houston has been irrelevant for the past three decades.

Baby, the Illini were winning games when Houston was an outpost for illiterates feeling the Comanches.

Finally: The third-greatest sports book written, as rated by , is Winning at Illinois by Lou Henson.

Looks like you donated the smart kidney, my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I still never get the Illini fanbase being obsessed with "recruiting Chicago". The elite talent gets taken by a few national programs and then the rest are no better than any other area. That doesn't mean you ignore the area when there is a recruit that makes sense for your program but it seems like a lot of Illini fans want them to just go after anyone in the top 5 in the area because you share the same state capital. At least Underwood seems willing to let assistants pay for players though so it may work better.

Apart from the criminal staining of Brad Underwood, that was a good post. They did quite well by getting near-elite Illinois players from Chicago and Peoria a while back. That would definitely work. Let the one-and-dones go to Kentucky and Duke.

Sometimes, the elites are just fuck-ups as people or are overrated, anyway. They never seem to work out at Illinois (when they do get them).

Underwood is gambling huge. I also don't think a coach should be able to dismantle a team like he's the CEO and chase people away. I guess it's a business.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it was a bizarre comb-over and not a toupee. I remember Lou saying, "If I were going to pay for hair, do you really think it would look like this?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:06 pm 

I miss the days of Lou, Bobby Knight, and Keady :(

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:

Keady, also a bizarre comb-over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Keady, also a bizarre comb-over.

And lets show the always angry Jud Heathcote a little love.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Say what you will about Henson’s terrible hairdo/wig, but at least he wasn’t an overt piece of shit like Keady and Knight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:39 pm 

OnePost is awesome. Keep poking him, he'll keep coming back, even more pissed off than before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:43 pm 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Say what you will about Henson’s terrible hairdo/wig, but at least he wasn’t an overt piece of shit like Keady and Knight.

You are guys are really pissing me off...I have not had to say so many nice things about Purdue....but what did Keady do to be considered an overt piece of shit?

And of that group Henson is by far the worst coach of the 3

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:51 pm 

RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You are guys are really pissing me off...I have not had to say so many nice things about Purdue....but what did Keady do to be considered an overt piece of shit?

Who's saying bad stuff about Keady? That's bullshit. Still, he and Henson had about the same record against the same teams. Purdue actually won conference titles, for what it's worth.

If Knight is at Purdue or Illinois, he wins just as much as he did at Indiana. In Season on the Brink, he came out and said that Illinois should be in the Final Four every year with their talent. Not sure that jibes with people who say that the Illini never got any talent, but that is what the General said.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:53 pm 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Who's saying bad stuff about Keady? That's bullshit. Still, he and Henson had about the same record against the same teams. Purdue actually won conference titles, for what it's worth.

If Knight is at Purdue or Illinois, he wins just as much as he did at Indiana. In Season on the Brink, he came out and said that Illinois should be in the Final Four every year with their talent. Not sure that jibes with people who say that the Illini never got any talent, but that is what the General said.

Doesn't that kind of prove the point? Keady did more with less.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:58 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Doesn't that kind of prove the point? Keady did more with less.

Knight said that to show how good of a coach he was.

I never understand the fans who see Big Ten rivalries as a zero-sum argument. I pull for most of the teams. It's fun to do and it doesn't blind me like zero-sum arguments do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:03 pm 

tommy wrote:

But don't you see how it really says the opposite?

They had talent and shoulda been in the final 4 every year...but they weren't? What was the reason?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:07 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

They had talent and shoulda been in the final 4 every year...but they weren't? What was the reason?

I can see that, sure. But I also know Bobby Knight, and he's a bit of an egomaniac. "I don't have as much talent as Henson year after year, but I somehow win."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 pm 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

I can see that, sure. But I also know Bobby Knight, and he's a bit of an egomaniac. "I don't have as much talent as Henson year after year, but I somehow win."

On the whole Henson had more talent than Knight did.

Knight had like one NBA all star in his time at IU, yet won 11 Big ten titles and 3 NCAA championships

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

Knight had like one NBA all star in his time at IU, yet won 11 Big ten titles and 3 NCAA championships

The Illini had better pro prospects.

Indiana had better college players. Buckner and Bennie weren't great pros, but they dominated the college game. Alford didn't dominate, but he was damn good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:17 pm 

Posted in the wrong thread so I’ll repost here.

On the whole tommy (U of I) vs One Post (U of Houston) argument of who has the best resume I assumed One Post knew what he was talking about. I’ve been annoyed as hell with Illinois’s irrelevance.

I just heard Houston is in their first Sweet 16 in 35 years. Tommy wins that argument definitively and One Post owes my man an apology.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 pm 

So for the 36th straight year, Houston won't be going to an Elite 8, but doggone it, they've got a great program down there.

See you guys on May 1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:19 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

But Knight was awesome. Ya gotta love him. Loved when they came to Champaign.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 pm 

tommy wrote:
So for the 36th straight year, Houston won't be going to an Elite 8, but doggone it, they've got a great program down there.

See you guys on May 1.

Take a victory lap my friend. I am ignorant to a lot of historical college ball stuff but after hearing that I realized how idiotic One Post sounded. My fault for doubting you.

Illinois is still completely irrelevant in college sports though. It’s just that Houston is too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 pm 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

Indiana had better college players. Buckner and Bennie weren't great pros, but they dominated the college game. Alford didn't dominate, but he was damn good.

Right...more talent. That is what Knight was saying.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:

Right...more talent. That is what Knight was saying.

Hold up before I go, lemme finish--

No, he had talent suited to the college game. And his early teams dominated. They also had Isaiah, May, Chaney, Bailey, Ray -----(can't remember his last name--tall skinny guy who played for the Nets). The Hoosiers had plenty of talent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35 pm 

Sure they had talent. But the Illini had just as much talent and more NBA talent yet didn't come close to doing as much with it.

Frank Coztansa wrote: