It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: IHSA HOOPS 2019-2020
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:07 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I wonder how involved Mike was with this kid's recruitment. I know for a fact that there was bad blood over Wayne Blackshear's transfer to MP years ago.

Has he gotten his job back at Curie yet? I doubt much.we

Hinton decommitted from SEMO when they fired their coach right before pandemic. Seemed like he had been stuck in no mans land for a while.

He hasn't been fired. Probably going through due process with CPS. From what I hear they don't really have much on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:15 pm 

Nick Irvin seems to have gotten it going a lot faster than first anticipated. This is quite a recruiting hall. Marcus Watson is a big time get. Western is going to be a player starting this year in that conf.
Quote:
4. Western Illinois (5-21)

Rob Jeter nailed it when hiring Nick Irvin/Kyle Heikkinen. Best recruiting class in school history, Leathernecks got verbals from Illinois stars Colton Sandage, JJ Flores, Tamell Pearson, Cam Burrell, Ramean Hinton, and Marcus Watson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:47 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Nick Irvin seems to have gotten it going a lot faster than first anticipated. This is quite a recruiting hall. Marcus Watson is a big time get. Western is going to be a player starting this year in that conf.
Quote:

Rob Jeter nailed it when hiring Nick Irvin/Kyle Heikkinen. Best recruiting class in school history, Leathernecks got verbals from Illinois stars Colton Sandage, JJ Flores, Tamell Pearson, Cam Burrell, Ramean Hinton, and Marcus Watson

I saw that. Going from playing at Duke and UNC to IPFW and Omaha. Must really like his high school coach. He has about two maybe three more years to grab his former players through commit or transfer. I do like how WIU is offering a lot of kids in the area. Now can they keep these kids after seeing their facilities and living in Macomb?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm 

So when does WIU go on probation?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Quote:

I saw that. Going from playing at Duke and UNC to IPFW and Omaha. Must really like his high school coach. He has about two maybe three more years to grab his former players through commit or transfer. I do like how WIU is offering a lot of kids in the area. Now can they keep these kids after seeing their facilities and living in Macomb?

The Fire will still be up and running too so they will always be in the game for players. Kids like playing for Nick Irvin and always have. He is the ultimate players coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So when does WIU go on probation?

Same year as Duke I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Quote:

The Fire will still be up and running too so they will always be in the game for players. Kids like playing for Nick Irvin and always have. He is the ultimate players coach.

Why haven't the fire helped Lance out yet? They have beaten 2 D1 teams over two seasons at Chicago St.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:12 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Quote:

Why haven't the fire helped Lance out yet? They have beaten 2 D1 teams over two seasons at Chicago St.

He and Byron aren't as connected to the Fire as Nick, Mike, and McGlother happen to be. The Fire is really the product of the two younger brothers Nick and Mike. And their late father of course.

Plus no one wants to ever play for Chicago St. That is unless they are desperate to say that they played D1. Even then people will still pass in order to play for a solid D2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 am 

Shot clock would be great. Getting schools to pay for installation and a worker for every game is a major obstacle. I can not see schools paying for this.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
conns7901 wrote:
Shot clock would be great. Getting schools to pay for installation and a worker for every game is a major obstacle. I can not see schools paying for this.

There are many schools where just operating the regular clock is a problem. Last season where many football fields added the play clock on field there was misunderstanding on how to properly use. I can only imagine how difficult this will be ( not to mention lower levels).

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
IHSA put out new guidelines for the Hoops season yesterday.

No large tournaments for Thanksgiving. The first game is set for 11/30/20

No large Christmas tourneys either.

Tourneys can not be more than 4 teams and they can only play each other once.

Season would end on 02/13/20.

State tourney would follow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 pm 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

AJ Casey's dad sounds like a real piece of work.

Quote:
“It’s what I say and what I want to do,” Andre said. “It’s not the kid making the decision. He’ll have input. It’s the parents making the decision. If I tell him we’re moving to China, he has no choice. We’re moving to China.”

Quote:
Andre wasn’t tipping his hand.

“I have to be comfortable with the school,” he said.

I interrupted him.

“You have to be comfortable or A.J. has to be comfortable?”

“I have to be comfortable,” Casey said. “A.J. will do well academically no matter where he’s at. He’s a very good student.”

And for Longtimeguy:

Quote:
But let’s make something perfectly clear here. It’s his participation in AAU, not high school, that turned A.J.’s recruitment into a national deal.

A.J. plays for Meanstreets.

“AAU gives you the national platform to play in front of college coaches,” Andre said. “Not high school.”

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am 

conns7901 wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-spt-pat-disabato-column-st-083120-20200829-3cplpywyrndgldcrwjhopq6xsq-story.html

AJ Casey's dad sounds like a real piece of work.

Quote:
“It’s what I say and what I want to do,” Andre said. “It’s not the kid making the decision. He’ll have input. It’s the parents making the decision. If I tell him we’re moving to China, he has no choice. We’re moving to China.”

Quote:
Andre wasn’t tipping his hand.

“I have to be comfortable with the school,” he said.

I interrupted him.

“You have to be comfortable or A.J. has to be comfortable?”

“I have to be comfortable,” Casey said. “A.J. will do well academically no matter where he’s at. He’s a very good student.”

And for Longtimeguy:

Quote:
But let’s make something perfectly clear here. It’s his participation in AAU, not high school, that turned A.J.’s recruitment into a national deal.

A.J. plays for Meanstreets.

“AAU gives you the national platform to play in front of college coaches,” Andre said. “Not high school.”

But what you do not quite seem to understand is that this really only applies to about 3%-5% of the kids that play AAU basketball. Casey is going to be a high major kid whether he plays for Meanstreets or not. The other 11 kids on his team also play AAU ball for someone and none of them are being looked at by any colleges. If their High School coach doesn't find a school for them they will not play college basketball. Thats what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45 am 

And another thing. Even though he had a "monster season playing in that crappy conf, his rankings took a dip. He #13 nationally as a Freshman and #24" as a Sophomore. If you don't think that had something to do with him leaving Simeon you're delusional.
conns7901 wrote:
The states top freshmen AJ Casey is transferring from Simeon and heading back to his home school Tinley Park. You don't see that very often.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this kid going forward. Family is taking a huge gamble by transferring him out. Right now he is a legitimate NBA prospect. #13 in his class. Without the Simeon push I can't see that continuing. He was a part of USA Basketball. That was Robert Smith's doing as he works for them.

From a developmental standpoint he will also be hurt. He is leaving the top Conf in the state in order to play for crappy Tinley Park. He won't be playing against much competition wise nor will he practice against kids that are going to push him.

It's going to come down to his and his parent's willingness to allow him be coached. If he is receptive to it then he might do well. If not he is going to fade and by the time he is a Senior he will be mostly forgotten.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is on the move again before he graduates. Probably will go the Prep School route at some point.

Obviously the family has to do what's best for their child but their are reasons that top flight basketball playing kids typically do not make these sorts of moves. It might be the difference between making a million plus per season and fading into oblivion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:49 am 

And another thing. Even though he had a "monster season playing in that crappy conf, his rankings took a dip. He #13 nationally as a Freshman and #24" as a Sophomore. If you don't think that had something to do with him leaving Simeon you're delusional.
conns7901 wrote:
The states top freshmen AJ Casey is transferring from Simeon and heading back to his home school Tinley Park. You don't see that very often.

long time guy wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens with this kid going forward. Family is taking a huge gamble by transferring him out. Right now he is a legitimate NBA prospect. #13 in his class. Without the Simeon push I can't see that continuing. He was a part of USA Basketball. That was Robert Smith's doing as he works for them.

From a developmental standpoint he will also be hurt. He is leaving the top Conf in the state in order to play for crappy Tinley Park. He won't be playing against much competition wise nor will he practice against kids that are going to push him.

It's going to come down to his and his parent's willingness to allow him be coached. If he is receptive to it then he might do well. If not he is going to fade and by the time he is a Senior he will be mostly forgotten.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is on the move again before he graduates. Probably will go the Prep School route at some point.

Obviously the family has to do what's best for their child but their are reasons that top flight basketball playing kids typically do not make these sorts of moves. It might be the difference between making a million plus per season and fading into oblivion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:16 am 

Prep Hoops has him 12
Future150 has him 15
ESPN has him 17
Rivals and 247 have him 20

He is still the #1 player in Illinois.

He leaves after a season at Tinley with 20 plus offers including most of the Big Ten and Kansas. He was also used on the perimeter at Tinley and was a primary ball handler. No tot mention he was double and triple teamed every game. That is going to make you a better player. Judging by how his AAU season went I would say playing at Tinley did not hurt him at all.

I am sure his dad will move him again then no matter how his Frosh season of college goes he will declare for the draft.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:20 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Prep Hoops has him 12
Future150 has him 15
ESPN has him 17

He leaves after a season at Tinley with 20 plus offers including most of the Big Ten and Kansas. He was also used on the perimeter at Tinley and was a primary ball handler. No tot mention he was double and triple teamed every game. That is going to make you a better player. Judging by how his AAU season went I would say playing at Tinley did not hurt him at all.

I am sure his dad will move him again then no matter how his Frosh season of college goes he will declare for the draft.

He had the same offers Freshman year at Simeon too. The Trib article had him #24. Don't know which list but I will check. He also was merely passing through Tinley Park as I originally thought too. He could still play for Tinley Park if he wants but obviously he wants to play at a more competitive level.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am 

Conns didn't you also claim that playing for Simeon did nothing for guys like Kendrick Nunn? Didn't you also claim that he would not make it out of training camp on an NBA roster? Well all he did was place himself in the running for ROY and establish himself as a 10 year pro barring injury. Simeon had to have had something to do with that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Prep Hoops has him 12
Future150 has him 15
ESPN has him 17

He had the same offers Freshman year at Simeon too. The Trib article had him #24. Don't know which list but I will check. He also was merely passing through Tinley Park as I originally thought too. He could still play for Tinley Park if he wants but obviously he wants to play at a more competitive level.

His dad removed him from Simeon because he did not like how he was used there and the kid didn't want to go there in the first place. He is moving him again. From what I have been told the kid is well liked and the dad thinks he is mini Lavar. Every move made is about the dad and not the kid.

He picked up Offers from Ohio St, Wisconsin, Louisville, Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Nebraksa, Iowa St and Indiana after playing at Tinley this year. Was All-Area in Sun-times and also All-State. Playing at Tinley has had no negative impact on his recruiting.

Max Christie also was offered by Duke and committed to Much St despite playing at Rolling Meadows, which very may well have lost to Tinley this past year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Conns didn't you also claim that playing for Simeon did nothing for guys like Kendrick Nunn? Didn't you also claim that he would not make it out of training camp on an NBA roster? Well all he did was place himself in the running for ROY and establish himself as a 10 year pro barring injury. Simeon had to have had something to do with that.

Kendrick Nunn was a G-League player for a year until having a breakout season this year. He did not make it out of training camp on the roster when he first got there. He spent three years at Illinois then two years at Oakland (though not really by choice). Please tell me how playing at Simeon is why a 25 year old rookie who finished his career in the Horizon league is in the league because he played at Simeon? It is a credit to him he beat the odds being a 5 year college player, Horizon league player, and G-league player to make a meaningful contribution in the NBA.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:05 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Kendrick Nunn was a G-League player for a year until having a breakout season this year. He did not make it out of training camp on the roster when he first got there. He spent three years at Illinois then two years at Oakland (though not really by choice). Please tell me how playing at Simeon is why a 25 year old rookie who finished his career in the Horizon league is in the league because he played at Simeon? It is a credit to him he beat the odds being a 5 year college player, Horizon league player, and G-league player to make a meaningful contribution in the NBA.

I know his bio. My good friend is the person that recruited him to Illinois. If it were not for Simeon then he would never have ended up at Illinois in the first place. If he played for Harlan do you think that would have been the case. If so then can you name the last Harlan player that played for Illinois?

Next your comment about training camp pertained to last year since that was the year that it was made.

Again the Casey kid is on the move yet again. Could be because the family moved or it could be because he wanted to play big boy ball. Something which playing at Tinley Park could not offer him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Again the Casey kid is on the move yet again. Could be because the family moved or it could be because he wanted to play big boy ball. Something which playing at Tinley Park could not offer him.

Change he to dad. The dad is living through his kid.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am 

sounds like the dad is openly inviting a payoff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Watching youger kids playing soccer now and thinking that the IHSA decision of a no fall soccer season was misguided.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Watching youger kids playing soccer now and thinking that the IHSA decision of a no fall soccer season was misguided.

Every state that borders Illinois is playing either their normal or close to normal fall sports schedule. Wisconsin did gives schools option to play in spring. 68% preferred to play this fall albeit a slightly shorter schedule. Maybe it all goes to shit in the next few weeks but so far I am not hearing about massive amounts of teams having to cancel. My friends football team is down a few players due to covid or close contact but they are still playing. That would never happen in this state. This is all also happening with much higher positivity rates. Iowas 16%, Missouri 13.7%, Indiana is at 9%, Wisconsin 8.5% and Kentucky 10.3%.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 pm 

https://il.nhsbca.org/ihsa_meeting

Current plan is a max of two games a week for 10 weeks then a regional. No state tournament as of now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:17 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
https://il.nhsbca.org/ihsa_meeting

Current plan is a max of two games a week for 10 weeks then a regional. No state tournament as of now.

I think about Willowbrook HS and a 50 person limit and it's ridiculous when you consider that gym can hold close to 3000 people.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 am 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

How is this possible not playing at Simeon or Morgan Park?

Care to run down Rolling Meadows history of placing guys in the NBA for me?

Let's stack their glorious history of placing guys in the NBA up against Simeon's and see where we end up.

Why we are at it the word on the street is that kid is already ticketed for Whitney Young once the upcoming season is over. Guess he isn't much interested in playing C-Rate level Suburban ball after all.

Probably just trying to get around transfer eligibility rules.

Yep.

Quote:
AJ Casey transfers to Young
The talented 6-8 forward who began his career at Simeon and played his sophomore season at Tinley Park is headed back to the Public League.

By Joe Henricksen on September 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Tinley Park’s AJ Casey (23) controls the ball just outside the arc as the Titans play the Spartans. Allen Cunningham/For the Sun-Times
The state’s top-ranked prospect in the junior class, AJ Casey, is on the move.

The talented 6-8 forward who began his career at Simeon and played his sophomore season at Tinley Park is headed back to the Public League. Casey will attend Young this year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:18 pm 

I guess he will get power 5 offers now that he plays at Young :lol: :roll:. If there even is a season. Should have went the prep school route if he is worried about playing before next AAU season.

As for Young it must be nice to be one of the dirtiest programs around and have your principal on the IHSA board so you can get away with it.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
I guess he will get power 5 offers now that he plays at Young :lol: :roll:. If there even is a season. Should have went the prep school route if he is worried about playing before next AAU season.

As for Young it must be nice to be one of the dirtiest programs around and have your principal on the IHSA board so you can get away with it.

My son's school is trying to get a kid eligible who moved from MI to live with a local family because his school closed.

No D-1 prospect by any measure, but it will take a miracle of sorts for the IHSA to OK this.

Casey has "moved" three times in three years and it's all good with the IHSA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next