It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: IHSA HOOPS 2019-2020
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I hear that Orr and Uplift will be moving down to 1A next year.

Post subject: Re: IHSA HOOPS 2019-2020
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

The enrollment of both schools is extremely low but Orr really needs to be 3A if anything. At least until Lou leaves anyway. They really are going to run through 1A. Uplift should be no lower than 2A.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

The enrollment of both schools is extremely low but Orr really needs to be 3A if anything. At least until Lou leaves anyway. They really are going to run through 1A. Uplift should be no lower than 2A.

Orr's enrollment is only 387.

I was surprised to see that. Uplift is only 303.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

And yet other, non sports driven secondary and grammar schools were targeted by Rahm for closure. I've told you how I can't stand that sob. All gloss and floss from the tiny dancer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:56 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Orr would have been my community high school had I not got into Von Steuben. Or my pops would have pulled some strings to have me to go his old high school Prosser.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 am 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

And that figure pertains to enrollment from the beginning of the year. I'm certain that Orr probably only has about 200-250 students showing up on any given day. Between kids dropping out and kids being truant there aren't many that show up.

Charters have taken a toll, as has blacks leaving the state. Schools like Orr have been fighting a losing battle for years because of it.

They have been turned around twice. As far as Uplift goes I will always think of them as the beefed up Elementary School that it is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

And that figure pertains to enrollment from the beginning of the year. I'm certain that Orr probably only has about 200-250 students showing up on any given day. Between kids dropping out and kids being truant there aren't many that show up.

Charters have taken a toll, as has blacks leaving the state. Schools like Orr have been fighting a losing battle for years because of it.

They have been turned around twice. As far as Uplift goes I will always think of them as the beefed up Elementary School that it is.

I was considering a teaching job at Orr in 2009.

A friend talked me out of it. One of the reasons was the truancy numbers that you posted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:41 am 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I was considering a teaching job at Orr in 2009.

A friend talked me out of it. One of the reasons was the truancy numbers that you posted.

That would have been when Jaime Poole was there as principal. Yeah there is no way to combat that at schools like Orr. CPS started computing attendance numbers differently about 10 years ago too. The way they calculate absences is completely different now. If a student cuts 2 or more classes in a day they receive a full day's absence now. Before that they would receive two cuts but yet a full day of attendance nonetheless. Schools like Orr between kids simply missing and habitually cutting probably have a daily attendance rate of 50%. Kills the funding and severely hurts your school rating.

The basketball team has been a huge benefit for the school. Probably one of primary reasons that their doors are still open.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:53 am 

long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Morgan Park gets to hide in 3a basketball too. IHSA should have implemented the success factor to all schools not just private. Rochester does the same thing in football.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Morgan Park gets to hide in 3a basketball too. IHSA should have implemented the success factor to all schools not just private. Rochester does the same thing in football.

I agree. It taints it somewhat for me. Morgan Park and even Orr are tough enough every year to compete on a 4A stage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bucket, Milford
It looks like Milford will be in 3A this year, but a lot of their Valley Conference foes will be competing in 2A such as Goshen, New Thayer and Tilden. The Mudlarks are young but they found some real talent at with sophomore center Marcell Irby. Tune in to WDIG for all the Mudlark hardwood action next season!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 pm 

The states top freshmen AJ Casey is transferring from Simeon and heading back to his home school Tinley Park. You don't see that very often.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 am 

conns7901 wrote:
The states top freshmen AJ Casey is transferring from Simeon and heading back to his home school Tinley Park. You don't see that very often.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this kid going forward. Family is taking a huge gamble by transferring him out. Right now he is a legitimate NBA prospect. #13 in his class. Without the Simeon push I can't see that continuing. He was a part of USA Basketball. That was Robert Smith's doing as he works for them.

From a developmental standpoint he will also be hurt. He is leaving the top Conf in the state in order to play for crappy Tinley Park. He won't be playing against much competition wise nor will he practice against kids that are going to push him.

It's going to come down to his and his parent's willingness to allow him be coached. If he is receptive to it then he might do well. If not he is going to fade and by the time he is a Senior he will be mostly forgotten.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is on the move again before he graduates. Probably will go the Prep School route at some point.

Obviously the family has to do what's best for their child but their are reasons that top flight basketball playing kids typically do not make these sorts of moves. It might be the difference between making a million plus per season and fading into oblivion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 am 

conns7901 wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens with this kid going forward. Family is taking a huge gamble by transferring him out. Right now he is a legitimate NBA prospect. #13 in his class. Without the Simeon push I can't see that continuing. He was a part of USA Basketball. That was Robert Smith's doing as he works for them.

From a developmental standpoint he will also be hurt. He is leaving the top Conf in the state in order to play for crappy Tinley Park. He won't be playing against much competition wise nor will he practice against kids that are going to push him.

It's going to come down to his and his parent's willingness to allow him be coached. If he is receptive to it then he might do well. If not he is going to fade and by the time he is a Senior he will be mostly forgotten.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is on the move again before he graduates. Probably will go the Prep School route at some point.

Obviously the family has to do what's best for their child but their are reasons that top flight basketball playing kids typically do not make these sorts of moves. It might be the difference between making a million plus per season and fading into oblivion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Enrollment is low just like your IQ, buddy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:06 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Your trolling efforts don't pack quite the punch that they used to Someguy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Marty Moon wrote:
It looks like Milford will be in 3A this year, but a lot of their Valley Conference foes will be competing in 2A such as Goshen, New Thayer and Tilden. The Mudlarks are young but they found some real talent at with sophomore center Marcell Irby. Tune in to WDIG for all the Mudlark hardwood action next season!

This is my favorite mult.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
long time guy wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Your trolling efforts don't pack quite the punch that they used to Someguy.

Lacks punch just like your face, buddy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
conns7901 wrote:

Surprised he didn't transfer to Hillcrest.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I didn't even know Tinley Park had a HS, thought it was Andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 am 

DAC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Hillcrest has a good basketball program but it is a terrible school.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:34 am 

long time guy wrote:
DAC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Hillcrest is better academically than Simeon but the kid actually lives in Tinley Parks boundaries.

The fallacy you must play at Simeon to play high level basketball is ridiculous. That place churns out 3 or 4 d1 athletes a year and most do not make it once they leave Simeon. While I agree there is a good chance he ends up at a year round AAU (Im not calling those places prep schools, they do not do any classwork), playing at Tinley will not matter much in the long run as he plays high level AAU 8 months out of the year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If he lives in TP boundaries, was he commuting to Simeon every day? That seems like a significant grind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:30 am 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DAC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Hillcrest is better academically than Simeon but the kid actually lives in Tinley Parks boundaries.

The fallacy you must play at Simeon to play high level basketball is ridiculous. That place churns out 3 or 4 d1 athletes a year and most do not make it once they leave Simeon. While I agree there is a good chance he ends up at a year round AAU (Im not calling those places prep schools, they do not do any classwork), playing at Tinley will not matter much in the long run as he plays high level AAU 8 months out of the year.

This is silly. Everyone thinks about Rose and Parker but they have placed other guys in the NBA. Nunn was in the league last year. Kendall Pollard either made it or nearly made it. The Kid at UCLA has been in tryout camps. Talen Horton will get drafted and Norvell has a chance to get drafted. Each of these guys developed while playing high level Ball at Simeon.

You can play high level ball at other places. Tinley Park isn't one of them.

AAU isn't going to help him from a developmental standpoint. Those are glorified pickup games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:32 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
If he lives in TP boundaries, was he commuting to Simeon every day? That seems like a significant grind.

No from what the article says he is moving there for the upcoming season.

He is a South Suburban kid however. That much was already known. Don't know how they scraped by the residency requirements initially.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:53 am 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DAC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

This is silly. Everyone thinks about Rose and Parker but they have placed other guys in the NBA. Nunn was in the league last year. Kendall Pollard either made it or nearly made it. The Kid at UCLA has been in tryout camps. Talen Horton will get drafted and Norvell has a chance to get drafted. Each of these guys developed while playing high level Ball at Simeon.

AAU isn't going to help him from a developmental standpoint. Those are glorified pickup games.

Kendrick Nunn was in the G-League last season and was signed for next season on a non-guranteed three year deal for the minimum the last day of the season this year. He might not make it through training camp. THT blew up on the AAU circuit the summer before senior year. That being said, have Simeon players over or under achieved at the college level the last 15 years?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DAC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Kendrick Nunn was in the G-League last season and was signed for next season on a non-guranteed three year deal for the minimum the last day of the season this year. He might not make it through training camp. THT blew up on the AAU circuit the summer before senior year. That being said, have Simeon players over or under achieved at the college level the last 15 years?

Simeon developed Talen Horton. Not AAU. AAU also doesn't last for 8 months either. More like 8 weeks.

As far as over or under achieved it depends on what you're saying. They have only had 2 guys projected to be NBA players. Both became NBA players by the way.

Nunn wasn't projected to ever sniff the NBA. Neither was Talen Horton or Norvell. Kendall Pollard wasn't a top 100 kid. Lazerick Jones was a bench player at Simeon.

When you say "turnout you have to clarify what you mean by that.

Which kids have ever "turned out" coming out of Tinley Park? Hillcrest turned out Jerell McNeal I guess but what else over the past 20 years?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 pm 

So Iowa St gets no credit for developing THT this year?

Anthony Davis played at Perspectives. How did he end up surviving at the next level?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:49 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

Anthony Davis played at Perspectives. How did he end up surviving at the next level?

Anthony Davis is an anomaly.

As far as Talen Horton goes there isn't an Iowa State without Robert Smith. By the way he "blew up" on the AAU circuit after switching over to a team in which his high school coach was affiliated.

Just like AYO would never had been top 30 and a future NBA prospect if he would have remained at Westinghouse.

If this kid remains at Tinley Park over the course of the next 3 years I can assure you that he will not be a top 50 player. He will not get pushed in practice nor games and as such his development will be stunted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Anthony Davis is an anomaly.

As far as Talen Horton goes there isn't an Iowa State without Robert Smith. By the way he "blew up" on the AAU circuit after switching over to a team in which his high school coach was affiliated.

Just like AYO would never had been top 30 and a future NBA prospect if he would have remained at Westinghouse.

If this kid remains at Tinley Park over the course of the next 3 years I can assure you that he will not be a top 50 player. He will not get pushed in practice nor games and as such his development will be stunted.

Stop with the Nick Irvin bullshit. The guy just poaches everyone else's players. Very rarely does a player at Morgan park start and finish there.

High schools of NBA players from IL this past season that played atleast one game.

Normal-Uhigh
Marshall x2
Proviso East x2
Stevenson
Proviso West
Perspectives
Morgan Park
Lockport
Lanphier
Benet
Julian
Robinson
Peoria Central
Hales
Niles North
Whitney Young
Simeon x2
Rock Island
OPRF
Rockford Auburn
St. Joes
Marian Catholic

A lot of schools on here that do not have multiple D1 players on a yearly basis, yet somehow their kids persevered and made it.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next