It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:54 am 

Is there anyone here that used to attend those back in the day?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:44 pm 

Honestly I don't remember many diverse crowds back then. Remember the Bulls hadn't taken off yet.

But maybe you remember, who ran the summer league at Kenwood for a couple of your high school summers? Or was it really just a Public League thing?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Honestly I don't remember many diverse crowds back then. Remember the Bulls hadn't taken off yet.

But maybe you remember, who ran the summer league at Kenwood for a couple of your high school summers? Or was it really just a Public League thing?

You're talking about YVI. I don't know who organized it but everyone who was anyone came through there. The who's who of high school hoopers all passed through there at one time or another. From Ben Wilson to Jamie Brandon. It was real deal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You're talking about YVI. I don't know who organized it but everyone who was anyone came through there. The who's who of high school hoopers all passed through there at one time or another. From Ben Wilson to Jamie Brandon. It was real deal.

The kicker is that they took down the rims for the entire rest of the year. I was never sure if it was the damn principal, alderman or neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:33 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The kicker is that they took down the rims for the entire rest of the year. I was never sure if it was the damn principal, alderman or neighborhood.

Yep they were only up for YVI.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:30 am 

I was working maintenance at Ignatius one summer. I was out in front doing landscaping when a car pulled up with some long legged young men asking where the UIC Pavilion was. I gave them directions and they sped off. I looked in the paper later that day to find there was a combine for nba hopefuls that day. That is my story.