It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illini Football 2020
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I watched 0 minutes of college football this year, listened to maybe 90 minutes in the car. So I honestly don't know the answer to my question:

If Illinois was transferred to the MAC next year, could they come in first or second?

Among large land grant "University of" or "blank State" schools in smaller cities, I don't think Illinois is better than a middle of the pack job. It is better than most of the directional state programs.

Dave D. from NIU went to NC State with mixed success. Has Illinois ever been a better job than NC State in the last 20 years?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Idk if I l’ve watched more CFB than anyone else this season.

A few posts ago I was just making fun of people who tell other people they don’t watch enough sports as a means to diminish an opposing argument.

Illinois is a place for coaching castoffs, and coaches from the MAC who had a winning season or two.

It’s not for the hottest up and coming names in coaching circles.

If the academic standards are holding the program back then I think the answer to making the football team better is pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:29 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Illinois is a place for coaching castoffs, and coaches from the MAC who had a winning season or two.

Illinois has made some bad hires but before Fickell Cincy hired Tommy Tuberville and the coach before that was Butch Jones, a MAC coach with three winning seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:33 pm 

Brick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Illinois has made some bad hires but before Fickell Cincy hired Tommy Tuberville and the coach before that was Butch Jones, a MAC coach with three winning seasons.

...and before that Brian Kelly, was a MAC coach with two winning seasons. Dantonio had no head coaching experience too if we are going back that far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:34 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Brick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I just looked at their history of coaches. Pretty impressive, kind of the new cradle of coaches, though it was a step down for Tubs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:17 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I watched 0 minutes of college football this year, listened to maybe 90 minutes in the car. So I honestly don't know the answer to my question:

If Illinois was transferred to the MAC next year, could they come in first or second?

Among large land grant "University of" or "blank State" schools in smaller cities, I don't think Illinois is better than a middle of the pack job. It is better than most of the directional state programs.

Dave D. from NIU went to NC State with mixed success. Has Illinois ever been a better job than NC State in the last 20 years?

Illinois would beat every single MAC team but Buffalo without a doubt and I believe they would even beat Buffalo, especially if it was just another conference game for the Bulls. They might get up for it differently if they were playing a power five team.

It's such an oddball conference with games swinging wildly back and forth from quarter to quarter. NIU was dominant for most of the last decade and I doubt NIU has ever won a recruiting battle with Illinois.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Illinois would beat every single MAC team but Buffalo without a doubt and I believe they would even beat Buffalo, especially if it was just another conference game for the Bulls. They might get up for it differently if they were playing a power five team.

It's such an oddball conference with games swinging wildly back and forth from quarter to quarter. NIU was dominant for most of the last decade and I doubt NIU has ever won a recruiting battle with Illinois.

U of I will typically win but they have to know who to identify. U of I wasn't even targeting the right players when NIU was very good in early 2010s. Around the Jordan Lynch era NIU would have smoked U of I. But Yes U of I is and should be better than majority of the MAC most years even though they are a bad Big Ten team.

Meanwhile NIU recently passed on one of our players because he wasn't good enough to play in the MAC. Ended up with offers from programs in bigger conferences :scratch:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:16 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

U of I will typically win but they have to know who to identify. U of I wasn't even targeting the right players when NIU was very good in early 2010s. Around the Jordan Lynch era NIU would have smoked U of I. But Yes U of I is and should be better than majority of the MAC most years even though they are a bad Big Ten team.

Meanwhile NIU recently passed on one of our players because he wasn't good enough to play in the MAC. Ended up with offers from programs in bigger conferences :scratch:

I think you are overexaggerting NIU's quality during the good years. They considered a win against a below .500 Alabama team to be huge. I think they alos had one against a bad Minnesota team. This was when they were the cream of the crop in the MAC.

MAC teams have a long history of beating Big Ten teams in pre conference games. It happens every year. If those teams joined up in the MAC and it was just another game I doubt it would be the same result

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:44 pm 

The Alabama win was 2003.

Same year they beat a ranked Maryland team if I remember correctly.

NIU was the cream of the crop until about 2017 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:37 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think you are overexaggerting NIU's quality during the good years. They considered a win against a below .500 Alabama team to be huge. I think they alos had one against a bad Minnesota team. This was when they were the cream of the crop in the MAC.

MAC teams have a long history of beating Big Ten teams in pre conference games. It happens every year. If those teams joined up in the MAC and it was just another game I doubt it would be the same result

The general rule was if you were a Big Ten team who lost to a MAC school then you'll be lucky to win 4 total games. Purdue has lost to MAC schools way too often.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If Northwestern lost to a MAC team you knew it was going to be a good season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
KDdidit wrote:

Ducking Miami of Ohio in 95... bad snap on a punt. The pain.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jbi11s wrote:
The Alabama win was 2003.

Same year they beat a ranked Maryland team if I remember correctly.

NIU was the cream of the crop until about 2017 or so.

Some famous people are quoted, including someone that Bruno interviewed about teammates dating.

https://rolltide.com/news/2003/9/21/Nor ... 19_16.aspx

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:41 am 

KDdidit wrote:

They seem to lose every year as a favorite during the non conference part of the schedule.

NU is a maximum effort team. If they are down even for a week they can get beat by the lowliest of teams....every year

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Game set match. Illinois kids do not want to go to Illinois. Hear it from the a coach that knows (see bold). Any kid that grew up in suburban Chicago knows that next to no one cares about Illini sports. It was mostly ND and Michigan when I was at IMU high in the Mecca.

https://football.dailyherald.com/sports/20201216/illinois-struggles-to-recruit-in-state-kids-could-jeff-monkens-triple-option-fix-that/

"Illinois struggles to recruit in-state kids. Could Jeff Monken's triple option fix that

Updated
12/16/2020 8:40 PM
On the first day of the football signing period Wednesday, the Daily Herald has a chart of suburban players headed to schools like Arizona, Penn State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota.

One school noticeably absent?

That would be the state's flagship university, Illinois.

Even before Lovie Smith was fired as the Illini coach Sunday, Illinois had commitments from 13 players.

Not a single one from Illinois.

And that's been the trend, not an outlier.

Why do the Illini have such a hard time recruiting Illinois?

Ted Monken, a former coach at St. Charles East and West Chicago whose family is as synonymous with high school football in Illinois as any, puts the blame both with Smith and larger issues.

"Lovie didn't make any effort," Monken said. "None of the high school coaches I talked to had any contact with Lovie let alone the assistants. They really don't know the coaches. And Lovie is a good coach, he went to the Super Bowl and the Bears have fallen off since he left. I'm not saying he's a bad football coach. I don't think he understands the college game. It's all about recruiting.

"When Lovie Smith got the job, how hard would it have been for him to bite the bullet, spend half of April and May and hit as many schools as he could and try to impress on every coach who at the time would love to meet Lovie Smith, he was the big name, he's walking into the school, he's coming to say hello to my players? Just spend a month and a half of your time to lay the groundwork. And after that you don't have to go to every school, send your assistants out, and you go see the good players like every coach does. He made zero effort."

Because of that and other reasons, Smith is out at Illinois after going 17-39 in five seasons.

Monken's brother Todd, the offensive coordinator at Georgia, and his cousin Jeff, the head coach at Army, are two names that show up often as potential Lovie replacements.

The Monken family knows high school football in the state. Ted and Todd's father Bob coached at Lake Park and started the Illinois Football Coaches Association All-State program 26 years ago that Ted does a lot of the work for today. Jeff's father Mike coached at Joliet East, and Bob and Mike Monken had three brothers who also coached high school football.

When you add in the next generation that Ted is part of, there's 12 Monkens who have coached at least one year of high school football in Illinois.

If anyone would have contacts around the state who could help with recruiting, you would think it would be a Monken.

Ted Monken said Todd, who also has NFL experience as offensive coordinator in Tampa Bay and Cleveland, is happy where he is. Todd's name has surfaced with past Illini searches, but Ted said Todd's agent never got a call from Illinois.

So don't expect this year's opening to be a fit.

"It's hard to leave Georgia and all the success they are having," Ted Monken said. "It's not a financial decision because he's doing well at Georgia. He would probably make more money at Illinois but it's not like he's going to the soup kitchen. You want to move from Athens, Georgia to Champaign? He would rather stay there or bounce back to the NFL than try to restart at Illinois and maybe be fired in four or five years."

Jeff is the more likely candidate. He's 48-38 in 7 seasons at Army where he runs the triple option, which he learned under Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.

Ted thinks the triple option, and Jeff's recruiting, would work in Champaign.

"He definitely would (improve recruiting)," Ted said. "The kids in Illinois would fit the triple option. There would be enough big guys, enough road graders, he could scholarship the hell out of these linemen in Illinois. I'm not sure you can recruit Illinois to be an air raid team. He would do a heck of a job because he gets it, he knows the coaches.

"I'm not saying these things just because I want Jeff to get the job. Any of those guys who run the triple, it makes a ton of sense to go that direction. Look what Georgia Tech did. They went from being a nonfactor to being competitive and scared the heck out of everybody every week."

Whoever the next football coach is at Illinois, and speculation continues to range from the Monkens to dream candidates like Cincinnati's Luke Fickell to more realistic targets like Buffalo's Lance Leipold, the new coach is going to have a heck of a time improving instate recruiting.

Other Midwestern states don't have the same problem keeping top players home.

"Wisconsin rarely scholarships a kid instate because every kid would grow up dying to be a Badger, and kids were tickled to death to be a preferred walk-on," Monken said. "That's a fortunate situation that Illinois just doesn't have. Kids in Illinois don't grow up wanting to be Illini. They are more likely to be Ohio State or Notre Dame fans.

"Illinois has been the definition of insanity," Monken continued. "Continue to do the same thing over and expect a different result. Right now they can't beat anybody on a recruit. Who is Illinois going to beat on a recruit? If you are a player and have a choice to go to Iowa or Illinois, you will probably go to Iowa. You have a chance to win some games and be competitive."

Illini athletic director Josh Whitman said instate recruiting will be a priority in selecting the next coach.

Monken hopes so, and thinks a change in the offensive identity can help.

"So who does Illinois beat like this? I'm going to try to beat you at what you are doing with lesser players," Monken said. "You have to be the reincarnation of Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi and whoever else all rolled into one. I think it would make a ton of sense for Illinois to go with the triple option. When you have good players it's a bear to stop and prepare for especially when you see it one time a year. I think Illinois would be brilliant to bring him in (Jeff Monken) or someone like him but I'm afraid they are going to go with another retread, a good coach that will go to Illinois to die."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 am 

That read like a propaganda piece for the Monken family.

I think the triple option is an interesting choice for a Big Ten school but it's not an answer to helping recruiting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
denisdman wrote:
Game set match. Illinois kids do not want to go to Illinois. Hear it from the a coach that knows (see bold). Any kid that grew up in suburban Chicago knows that next to no one cares about Illini sports. It was mostly ND and Michigan when I was at IMU high in the Mecca.

https://football.dailyherald.com/sports/20201216/illinois-struggles-to-recruit-in-state-kids-could-jeff-monkens-triple-option-fix-that/

"Illinois struggles to recruit in-state kids. Could Jeff Monken's triple option fix that

Updated
On the first day of the football signing period Wednesday, the Daily Herald has a chart of suburban players headed to schools like Arizona, Penn State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Even before Lovie Smith was fired as the Illini coach Sunday, Illinois had commitments from 13 players.

Ted Monken, a former coach at St. Charles East and West Chicago whose family is as synonymous with high school football in Illinois as any, puts the blame both with Smith and larger issues.

"Lovie didn't make any effort," Monken said. "None of the high school coaches I talked to had any contact with Lovie let alone the assistants. They really don't know the coaches. And Lovie is a good coach, he went to the Super Bowl and the Bears have fallen off since he left. I'm not saying he's a bad football coach. I don't think he understands the college game. It's all about recruiting.

"When Lovie Smith got the job, how hard would it have been for him to bite the bullet, spend half of April and May and hit as many schools as he could and try to impress on every coach who at the time would love to meet Lovie Smith, he was the big name, he's walking into the school, he's coming to say hello to my players? Just spend a month and a half of your time to lay the groundwork. And after that you don't have to go to every school, send your assistants out, and you go see the good players like every coach does. He made zero effort."

Because of that and other reasons, Smith is out at Illinois after going 17-39 in five seasons.

Monken's brother Todd, the offensive coordinator at Georgia, and his cousin Jeff, the head coach at Army, are two names that show up often as potential Lovie replacements.

The Monken family knows high school football in the state. Ted and Todd's father Bob coached at Lake Park and started the Illinois Football Coaches Association All-State program 26 years ago that Ted does a lot of the work for today. Jeff's father Mike coached at Joliet East, and Bob and Mike Monken had three brothers who also coached high school football.

When you add in the next generation that Ted is part of, there's 12 Monkens who have coached at least one year of high school football in Illinois.

If anyone would have contacts around the state who could help with recruiting, you would think it would be a Monken.

Ted Monken said Todd, who also has NFL experience as offensive coordinator in Tampa Bay and Cleveland, is happy where he is. Todd's name has surfaced with past Illini searches, but Ted said Todd's agent never got a call from Illinois.

"It's hard to leave Georgia and all the success they are having," Ted Monken said. "It's not a financial decision because he's doing well at Georgia. He would probably make more money at Illinois but it's not like he's going to the soup kitchen. You want to move from Athens, Georgia to Champaign? He would rather stay there or bounce back to the NFL than try to restart at Illinois and maybe be fired in four or five years."

Jeff is the more likely candidate. He's 48-38 in 7 seasons at Army where he runs the triple option, which he learned under Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.

"He definitely would (improve recruiting)," Ted said. "The kids in Illinois would fit the triple option. There would be enough big guys, enough road graders, he could scholarship the hell out of these linemen in Illinois. I'm not sure you can recruit Illinois to be an air raid team. He would do a heck of a job because he gets it, he knows the coaches.

"I'm not saying these things just because I want Jeff to get the job. Any of those guys who run the triple, it makes a ton of sense to go that direction. Look what Georgia Tech did. They went from being a nonfactor to being competitive and scared the heck out of everybody every week."

Whoever the next football coach is at Illinois, and speculation continues to range from the Monkens to dream candidates like Cincinnati's Luke Fickell to more realistic targets like Buffalo's Lance Leipold, the new coach is going to have a heck of a time improving instate recruiting.

"Wisconsin rarely scholarships a kid instate because every kid would grow up dying to be a Badger, and kids were tickled to death to be a preferred walk-on," Monken said. "That's a fortunate situation that Illinois just doesn't have. Kids in Illinois don't grow up wanting to be Illini. They are more likely to be Ohio State or Notre Dame fans.

"Illinois has been the definition of insanity," Monken continued. "Continue to do the same thing over and expect a different result. Right now they can't beat anybody on a recruit. Who is Illinois going to beat on a recruit? If you are a player and have a choice to go to Iowa or Illinois, you will probably go to Iowa. You have a chance to win some games and be competitive."

Illini athletic director Josh Whitman said instate recruiting will be a priority in selecting the next coach.

"So who does Illinois beat like this? I'm going to try to beat you at what you are doing with lesser players," Monken said. "You have to be the reincarnation of Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi and whoever else all rolled into one. I think it would make a ton of sense for Illinois to go with the triple option. When you have good players it's a bear to stop and prepare for especially when you see it one time a year. I think Illinois would be brilliant to bring him in (Jeff Monken) or someone like him but I'm afraid they are going to go with another retread, a good coach that will go to Illinois to die."
Welcome back. Where you been?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:41 am 

They signed Olin's son yesterday. He lives in Illinois. But yes they have been bad at signing kids here. A lot of that was intentional on Lovie's part though.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 am 

denis! Nice to see ya man

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:50 am 

RFDC wrote:
denis! Nice to see ya man

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:57 am 

denisdman wrote:

Updated

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:06 am 

Brick wrote:
That read like a propaganda piece for the Monken family.

I think the triple option is an interesting choice for a Big Ten school but it's not an answer to helping recruiting.

Triple option is a band aid for schools that can't compete on even terms. It will take a few years to recruit and install it but I think it would result in the modest success we have talked about for Illinois. You will beat chump, undisciplined defenses but get absolutely killed by the disciplined or ultra talented groups. Expectations are pretty much what Paul Johnson had at GT.

The truth is you can recruit Illinois. Lovie was worse than bad at it. He was absent. Illinois was a retirement check for him and he should be ashamed at his effort.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 am 

My Guy, Bielema is back!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:11 am 

6 years and starts at $4.2 million per year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Hawg Ass wrote:

Didn’t he leave UW on bad terms?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Didn’t he leave UW on bad terms?

I am NOT a UW fan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:48 am 

The rod Carey of Wisconsin football

Completely rode the momentum of other people and his teams underwhelmed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:48 am 

:lol: Yes Yes Yes.

Fuck that asshat and the Illini

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The rod Carey of Wisconsin football

Completely rode the momentum of other people and his teams underwhelmed

3 Big 10 Championships are underwhelming, glad you don't grade my papers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next