It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am 

Who was better? This has been coming up lately with some of the guys I play ball with. Clyde Travis (old writer for the Sun Times) also talked about it on his show last week.

I only remember seeing Ben Wilson play once on TV when I was very young. Saw a lot of Marcus Liberty and think that he may be the best High School player that I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
Who was better? This has been coming up lately with some of the guys I play ball with.

I only remember seeing Ben Wilson play once on TV when I was very young. Saw a lot of Marcus Liberty and think that he may be the best High School player that I have ever seen.

From how he was hyped I thought Liberty shouldve been a better/ more impactful college player than he was. Ima Voise Winters guy myself ( seeing as how I actually saw him play )

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Who was better? This has been coming up lately with some of the guys I play ball with.

From how he was hyped I thought Liberty shouldve been a better/ more impactful college player than he was. Ima Voise Winters guy myself ( seeing as how I actually saw him play )

Playing for Lou Henson hurt him . He actually put up good numbers the year he went pro but he was out of position playing Center.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 pm 

Maybe I'm off, but I always thought that Jaime Brandon was better.

And the best "team " player imho was D Rose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I really had high hopes that Liberty would lead Illinois to the promised land, but yeah, Henson was a joke. I think he's still collecting about $400k per year from Illinois taxpayers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:17 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

You would get some company in that thought. Played against Jaime in high school and he definitely was the best high school player that I ever played against.

Still remember Johnny Selvie's forearm being lodged in my neck as I was in the middle of a 1 1 3 zone. That shit still hurts :lol: :lol:

Marcus Liberty was more talented imo and I was a big time Jaime Guy. If you ever get a chance to watch those "Like This" Highlight tapes from King's Basketball team check it out. Liberty was unreal as a High School player.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You would get some company in that thought. Played against Jaime in high school and he definitely was the best high school player that I ever played against.

Still remember Johnny Selvie's forearm being lodged in my neck as I was in the middle of a 1 1 3 zone. That shit still hurts :lol: :lol:

Marcus Liberty was more talented imo and I was a big time Jaime Guy. If you ever get a chance to watch those "Like This" Highlight tapes from King's Basketball team check it out. Liberty was unreal as a High School player.

Liberty had more talent, no doubt. I guess that it boils down to who I liked watching play more.

And thanks to Johnny Selvie and countless stories like his, Sonny Cox will always have my respect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I really had high hopes that Liberty would lead Illinois to the promised land, but yeah, Henson was a joke. I think he's still collecting about $400k per year from Illinois taxpayers.

And a good amount from New Mexico's taxpayers as well, all with no rings to show for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Liberty had more talent, no doubt. I guess that it boils down to who I liked watching play more.

And thanks to Johnny Selvie and countless stories like his, Sonny Cox will always have my respect.

Sonny Cox literally saved his life. I remember when we played them he had the ankle monitor on. Currently works for the board and has for years. Cox took care of him even after high school. A really good dude and in high school everyone knew that he served as Jaime's Charles Oakley. He was a manchild.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Best I ever saw or played against was Sherell Ford. I remember getting manhandled by him during games - being short, fat and slow was not good against him. I always thought he would be awesome. I guess UIC didnt prepare him as well as one would hope. I would have never guessed then that Michael Finley would have had the better career out of the 3 on that team but his play against real talent in college probably helped.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:27 pm 

What about players you personally saw play in high school?

I think the best remember seeing is a guy who played for Weber and Michigan State named Ken Redfield. He could do it all and was tough as well. Great athlete but also a basketball player.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

That Garnett guy was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
As LTG said, Liberty was criminally used at Illinois. He wasn't big enough to play even the 4 as the NBA was evolving. He needed to play the 3 exclusively in college.

I saw Liberty play at the Proviso tournament as a junior. He was playing a completely different game than anybody else on the ten teams I saw that day. Like a PGA golfer playing off the senior tees.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:19 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I think the best remember seeing is a guy who played for Weber and Michigan State named Ken Redfield. He could do it all and was tough as well. Great athlete but also a basketball player.

Personally saw when I was in high school:

Corey Maggette
Kent Williams
Andre Brown
Leon Smith was in my gym class for first two months in high school. Hell of a flag football QB. Transferred to King day of basketball tryouts. Never saw him play basketball in person.

Post College I have seen in person in no particular order:

Julian Wright
Derrick Rose
Max Strus
Jalen Brunson

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Personally? Tim Hardaway and a guy at Kenwood named John Speller. LTG probably played against his kid brother(s?) He also was a 7' High jumper in HS. Because he played in the McDonald's game, the damn IHSA ruled him ineligible in track the day before we left for state. Easily cost us a state title or at least second. We finished in fourth, six points back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Personally? Tim Hardaway and a guy at Kenwood named John Speller. LTG probably played against his kid brother(s?) He also was a 7' High jumper in HS. Because he played in the McDonald's game, the damn IHSA ruled him ineligible in track the day before we left for state. Easily cost us a state title or at least second. We finished in fourth, six points back.

Yeah I know Oliver (his little brother) big headed ass :lol: :lol: . We came in together as Freshmen. Was John Speller that good as a Hooper? He was grown when we were in high school but he'd still bounce at Shoesmith from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah I know Oliver (his little brother) big headed ass. We came in together as Freshmen. Was John Speller that good as a Hooper? He was grown when were in high school but he'd still bounce at Shoesmith from time to time.

John could everything well, and hoop even better. He broke one of the boys' gym glass backboards as a junior. If pressed, I'd compare him to Pippen. But that was almost 40 years ago and he was all we had for his last two years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 pm 

Saw Glen Robinson and Bryce Drew play while in school.

One of the first years I was in Missouri Jaron Rush played at our towns gym. He was amazing. He got an alley oop dunk that it seemed like he hit his head on the ceiling of the gym he was so high up. He was definitely a case of someone who should have been way better, but got caught up in a lot of bad stuff.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:06 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't think I ever saw a full game of his and he was in and out of chicago so quickly he didn't get the hype most talents get going into the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:36 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I was away at school the year he played high school ball but I did see him play in the Pro-Am at De La Salle that summer. After seeing him destroy Pete Myers I said yeah he should have went pro.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:56 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't think I ever saw a full game of his and he was in and out of chicago so quickly he didn't get the hype most talents get going into the season.

He wasn't even the farragut kid I was really rooting for on that team. Too bad Fields may have been a knucklehead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:01 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He wasn't even the farragut kid I was really rooting for on that team. Too bad Fields may have been a knucklehead.

Ronnie Fields crashed his car about a 1/4 mile from where I grew up. What a waste of a possibly great career, but seeing him and Garnett in person was something.