It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
3-0 under the new (actually new) head coach. Just upset Rutgers last night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:49 am 

Should be 6-0 heading into the Loyola game in two weeks.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
There's going to be a regular battle of Chicago this season. They've got Loyola, Northwestern, and UIC on the schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 am 

I watched. Hope it continues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Yeah one of my really good friends from high school is an Assistant coach with them. Met Stubblefield. Seems like a cool dude. I sort of like the plan they have going to get out of the muck left by Leitao. They took a string of transfers from big time programs and tried to construct a team from that on the fly.

Marcus Liberty's nephew is perhaps their best player. He played with us Old geezers when he was in 8th grade. Lib's brother Edgar brought him to one of our sets to play with us back then.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:35 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Yeah one of my really good friends from high school is an Assistant coach with them. Met Stubblefield. Seems like a cool dude. I sort of like the plan they have going to get out of the muck left by Leitao. They took a string of transfers from big time programs and tried to construct a team from that on the fly.

Marcus Liberty's nephew is perhaps their best player. He played with us Old geezers when he was in 8th grade. Lib's brother Edgar brought him to one of our sets to play with us back then.

I didn't realize Javonte was Liberty's newphew. Nice.

I also like Stubblefield from what I saw last night. Like his energy and demeanor on the bench, I think Chicago will embrace that a lot more than stoic boring Leitao.

The team, despite taht win, won't be good this year. The bigs all looked terrible. Liberty-Freeman and Jones looked good. Don't know who this Jones guy is, but he looked really good. Very aggressive taking the ball to the hole.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 pm 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

I didn't realize Javonte was Liberty's newphew. Nice.

I also like Stubblefield from what I saw last night. Like his energy and demeanor on the bench, I think Chicago will embrace that a lot more than stoic boring Leitao.

The team, despite taht win, won't be good this year. The bigs all looked terrible. Liberty-Freeman and Jones looked good. Don't know who this Jones guy is, but he looked really good. Very aggressive taking the ball to the hole.

They are missing 2 kids that were supposed to start. They should be in soon and they just received a transfer from Iowa State who should be eligible soon.

Jones was a top 60 kid that was allowed to become eligible as a high school player last season. He hit the ground running but technically this is his first season

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 am 

DePaul was down 63-57 to Western Illinois and then Javon Freeman-Liberty woke up. Scored 18 of the next 20 points during DePaul 20-0 run. Then in true DePaul fashion they almost blew a 10 point lead in the final 50 seconds and couldn’t get the ball inbounds 4 straight times.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:02 pm 

After a rough start, they looked decent against Loyola yesterday. If they don't get into foul trouble, that game could have gone the other way. It was also cool to see somewhat of a full house at Wintrust, and (for those who still care about these things) they were on the front page of the Trib's sports section today.

They should make it a point of at least playing Loyola every year. It would also be fun if they reached an agreement with Chicago State, Loyola, Northwestern, and UIC to play a college basketball tournament every December like they do in Philadelphia.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:28 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
After a rough start, they looked decent against Loyola yesterday. If they don't get into foul trouble, that game could have gone the other way. It was also cool to see somewhat of a full house at Wintrust, and (for those who still care about these things) they were on the front page of the Trib's sports section today.

They should make it a point of at least playing Loyola every year. It would also be fun if they reached an agreement with Chicago State, Loyola, Northwestern, and UIC to play a college basketball tournament every December like they do in Philadelphia.

Agree with all of that.

Best thing I can say about DePaul is that they looked like they belonged on the same court as Loyola.

problem is we have 3 solid/good players on the team (Liberty, Jones, Ogenda) and the rest are not D1 players. We star a couple guys who have no business playing D1, let alone starting on a BigEast team.

Hopefully this new coach can recruit cause at the end of the day that has always been the difference between success and failure at DePaul. Success of course being a relevant term.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:08 pm 

I think Loyola has shown it can hang with the big boys and Depaul showed it can hang with Loyola so by the transitive Depaul should be able to be competitive this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:21 pm 

Big win on the road at Louisville. Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:19 am 

Warren Newson wrote:

hell yea! My guy Jones was a monster. I have to rewatch the 2nd half when i get home from the office. fell asleep for most of it and woke up and they were talking about how Jones had something like 30 points in the 2nd half.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:28 am 

shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

hell yea! My guy Jones was a monster. I have to rewatch the 2nd half when i get home from the office. fell asleep for most of it and woke up and they were talking about how Jones had something like 30 points in the 2nd half.

If I remember correctly he was a top 60 kid coming out of high school. He should be a true freshman this year but some quirky rule allowed him to enroll last year. He actually played decently last season all things considered. Leitao's incoming Recruiting class was top 15-20 for 2021. Didn't leave the cupboard entirely bare.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:58 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

If I remember correctly he was a top 60 kid coming out of high school. He should be a true freshman this year but some quirky rule allowed him to enroll last year. He actually played decently last season all things considered. Leitao's incoming Recruiting class was top 15-20 for 2021. Didn't leave the cupboard entirely bare.

yea he came early and then didn't play for some reason. Then he played a little at the end. I had already stopped watching DePaul by that point so never saw him play.

He's very good. Hopefully this new coach can recruit so Jones doesn't have to suffer the same fate as Struss and Reed before him by being the only good player on a terrible team.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

yea he came early and then didn't play for some reason. Then he played a little at the end. I had already stopped watching DePaul by that point so never saw him play.

He's very good. Hopefully this new coach can recruit so Jones doesn't have to suffer the same fate as Struss and Reed before him by being the only good player on a terrible team.

My guy Paris is responsible for recruiting Chicago and they have a guy out of Maryland that is handling the East Coast. They have more than Jones on the roster though. Some guys have had eligibility issues and Lib's nephew can play also. Stubblefield had a solid planning coming in. He took high major transfers that didn't pan out at other schools for whatever reason as a stopgap measure. At the very least they should be able to hold the fort until reinforcements come in later.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 am 

De Paul really looks like it can be relevant again this year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:59 pm 

They still suck. They've led the Big East in moral victories the past few seasons, and I'm long since tired of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
what? says who?

btw i found some depaul student's ID cart at a CTA station... does this thing double as a bank card of sorts cuz it's got wintrust on the back? it even tells me where to drop it off and whatnot but i like the general idea of being able to open up edumacational doors that would otherwise be closed. i'm here to keep on earning life lessons you know!