It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
A number of high profile programs could be impacted by this proposed rule change.
Seems to be taking dead aim at the schools that use AAU programs and AAU coaches to stock their programs. Might be a difficult rule to enforce however.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/12/1/ ... posed-rule

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
They aren't going to allow Orland Park to dictate anything.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Steve is a fairly nice guy. Have had several dealings with him. I believe he is in his 2nd year. I think he thought it would be a lot easier to win at Sandburg with a gigantic student population than it is. He must be starting to feel the heat a bit from the parents of the kids that end up staying at Sandburg because they arent good enough to be recruited. The same parents that also think because they spent $3,500+ a year on some shitty ass travel team that won 1 or 2 games every year their kids should have college scholarship offers. He is losing all the decent athletes in town to other schools but mostly private but I dont think this rule would change that. He isnt going to able to fix that with some silly proposal. I can't remember any kid that my kids played against that you knew was going to be a good that stay. Who really cares that much about high school sports anyways. Shit let the kids go to school wherever the hell they want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:06 pm 

It is a game of dominoes if you read the Suntimes super 25 preview. Simeon was preseason ranked #1 and has 4 transfers in their starting lineup. St. Rita added the #3 Junior in the state, so their guard went to Simeon. Joliet West added Hillcrest best player who is a big, so the Joliet West big guy transferred to Romeoville. Marist lost their best returning player to Oak Lawn, so they added a kid from Romeoville. Perspectives made the super 25 after adding two brothers from Bloom, the best player from Leo, a player from Rich Township and a bench player from Simeon, who then transferred again to Longwood before the seasons started.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:00 am 

The Man wrote:
Steve is a fairly nice guy. Have had several dealings with him. I believe he is in his 2nd year. I think he thought it would be a lot easier to win at Sandburg with a gigantic student population than it is. He must be starting to feel the heat a bit from the parents of the kids that end up staying at Sandburg because they arent good enough to be recruited. The same parents that also think because they spent $3,500+ a year on some shitty ass travel team that won 1 or 2 games every year their kids should have college scholarship offers. He is losing all the decent athletes in town to other schools but mostly private but I dont think this rule would change that. He isnt going to able to fix that with some silly proposal. I can't remember any kid that my kids played against that you knew was going to be a good that stay. Who really cares that much about high school sports anyways. Shit let the kids go to school wherever the hell they want.

Yeah let the kids transfer if that's what they want to do. When you run a shitty program it's always going to be tough to keep good players anyway. As it should be. At the end of the day there are only 2 things that matter to a kid playing high school sports. 1. Getting "looks" from colleges and 2. Winning.

When your program is shitty, it's tough for either of those 2 things to happen.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
conns7901 wrote:
It is a game of dominoes if you read the Suntimes super 25 preview. Simeon was preseason ranked #1 and has 4 transfers in their starting lineup. St. Rita added the #3 Junior in the state, so their guard went to Simeon. Joliet West added Hillcrest best player who is a big, so the Joliet West big guy transferred to Romeoville. Marist lost their best returning player to Oak Lawn, so they added a kid from Romeoville. Perspectives made the super 25 after adding two brothers from Bloom, the best player from Leo, a player from Rich Township and a bench player from Simeon, who then transferred again to Longwood before the seasons started.

DePaul Prep's best player is a transfer from Kenwood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
The Missing Link wrote:
At the end of the day there are only 2 things that matter to a kid playing high school sports. 1. Getting "looks" from colleges and 2. Winning.

Yes! That's all that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Just heard that Jimmy Chitwood might transfer to Terhune. If Hickory doesn't get him, they don't have a prayer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:52 am 
100000 CLUB

The girls don't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Didn’t there used to be a one year sit rule for transfers? Probably not fair to families that actually move or can’t afford private anymore etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 am 

Nas wrote:
The girls don't hurt.

When you have a shitty team even that game doesn't work all that well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

The Missing Link wrote:
Nas wrote:
The girls don't hurt.

When you have a shitty team even that game doesn't work all that well.

:lol: True.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:14 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

Yeah let the kids transfer if that's what they want to do. When you run a shitty program it's always going to be tough to keep good players anyway. As it should be. At the end of the day there are only 2 things that matter to a kid playing high school sports. 1. Getting "looks" from colleges and 2. Winning.

I think he actually runs some great programs but other than cross country or girls tennis the teams suck. He does a lot for the kids and I am not sure how he does but he seems to be at every function. I have never really cared about winning or college looks. And I know that’s what loser programs and players always say. I hope someday my kid goes pro in something other than sports.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:13 am 

The Man wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

I think he actually runs some great programs but other than cross country or girls tennis the teams suck. He does a lot for the kids and I am not sure how he does but he seems to be at every function. I have never really cared about winning or college looks. And I know that’s what loser programs and players always say. I hope someday my kid goes pro in something other than sports.

When you work in schools where the primary way for a student to attend college is by "getting looks" then you understand where I am coming from with this. And for most kids it isn't about "going pro" either. I don't think most believe that is in the cards. It's about getting their education paid for without having to go into debt as they do it.

That is why the proposed rule is so fucked up. Ultimately the person that is penalized the most is the child. Not the coach or any of the people that helped to created the fucked up rule.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:22 am 

90% of recruiting is how you play in AAU and in other showcase events. Too much variation in high school to make solid evaluations.

Coaches attend a lot of high school games for players they know they want because you have to have as much contact with them as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:22 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

When you work in schools where the primary way for a student to attend college is by "getting looks" then you understand where I am coming from with this. And for most kids it isn't about "going pro" either. I don't think most believe that is in the cards. It's about getting their education paid for without having to go into debt as they do it.

That is why the proposed rule is so fucked up. Ultimately the person that is penalized the most is the child. Not the coach or any of the people that helped to created the fucked up rule.

Kids are primarily "getting their looks" through AAU when it comes to basketball. At least when it comes to the big schools. For example their will be come coaches at the event this weekend hosted by Young, but nowhere near what you see at the big AAU stuff over the summer.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:54 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Kids are primarily "getting their looks" through AAU when it comes to basketball. At least when it comes to the big schools. For example their will be come coaches at the event this weekend hosted by Young, but nowhere near what you see at the big AAU stuff over the summer.

There are far more coaches that come in during the "open" period to see a kid than there will be at your typical AAU event. More college coaches will come to see kids play at Fall Workouts than will be at over 99% of the AAU events in this country.

You have about 5 to 6 AAU programs in this state which college coaches pay attention to. The others exist simply for the purpose of taking kids money, traveling on it, and declaring that they are an AAU program. The average college coach doesn't waste their time with the overwhelming majority of AAU teams in this state. Never see them play and don't really care about their players either.

The 9th best player on Whitney Young is more likely to get a college scholarship for basketball than the best player on Sandburg. Why? because the 9th best player on Whitney Young will have been seen by far more college coaches in his 4 years than the best player on Sandburg will have. As a result his likelihood of garnering offers will have increased as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:00 pm 

Brick wrote:
90% of recruiting is how you play in AAU and in other showcase events. Too much variation in high school to make solid evaluations.

This is really only true when it comes to the top programs and players. i.e. Division 1 players and Division prospects. Only 1% of the kids that play high school basketball will play Division 1 basketball. Those that aren't Division 1 or "D1 prospects" obtain offers mostly through the connections that their high school coach might have with College Coaches.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:27 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

The 9th best player on Whitney Young is more likely to get a college scholarship for basketball than the best player on Sandburg. Why? because the 9th best player on Whitney Young will have been seen by far more college coaches in his 4 years than the best player on Sandburg will have. As a result his likelihood of garnering offers will have increased as well.

Being the 9th best player on Whitney Young isn't getting you any looks when you don't play meaningful minutes. Especially if you are an upperclassmen. If you are a Frosh or Soph it is different. St. Rita added 3 transfers and players left despite the added "exposure" to college coaches this season.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:39 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Being the 9th best player on Whitney Young isn't getting you any looks when you don't play meaningful minutes. Especially if you are an upperclassmen.
Not true. They had a kid who never played at all his first 3 years, got backup minutes his senior year and still signed with a D2 (Quincy) nonetheless.

Highly unlikely that this happens if he'd attended Oak Lawn and been their best player. A great number of high school kids get offers based upon open gym workouts if they are at a top tier program. Thus the "looks" start for them as early as their freshman year in high school.

I saw St. Rita play last year. The kid that transferred was a 5th option. He has gotten "looks" and offers since he was Freshman at St. Rita. He likely transferred because he didn't get the sort of D1 offers that he believes he so richly deserves. The other guard that they had last year seems to have transferred too. Likely because both realized that they would never get a major D1 push as long as they played alongside St. Rita's 2 highly touted Big Men, the kid from Lemont, and the Sophomore who was injured in the spring. Both were always guaranteed to play college ball however. Thus "getting a look" was never going to be the issue.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:22 pm 

Top 10 SICP doing it the right way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: Don't you have Kendall Gill's kid on the roster?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:
Didn’t there used to be a one year sit rule for transfers? Probably not fair to families that actually move or can’t afford private anymore etc.

Yeah I thought that was a rule. We tried to transfer my son when his high school folded its baseball team due to lack of players. Then we tried to do a co-op. It ended up not mattering because of Covid. No one played. In any case, IHSA shut down allowing a transfer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

I was just listening to a couple HS coaches talking about this and how crazy the transferring has become for college and now HS. And it was apparent how deflating it is when they work with kids as freshmen and sophomores often dealing with poor academics and classroom behavior and then they just end up transferring. You've got parents that have unrealistic expectations for their child who think that the reason their child is not a star is the coaches. This disloyalty cannot be good when you have passionate coaches who pour their hearts into coaching and helping these boys become young men.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
As I read this thread Saturday morning, I am also listening to the local radio Coaches show, interviewing four or five of the local high school boys coaches about their teams. The closest school has a sophomore who is getting looks- the coach said they had several Div 1 coaches in during Summer workouts. The hosts and coach all agreed it also helps the other players on the team; as one host related, he was being watched by Michigan his junior year, and that assistant coach got the head job at Ball State, and later signed the host to play there. The host was not nearly U of M level, but started for BSU.

Having the world headquarters of an appliance maker in town, we see several transfers each year from out of state, as well as a couple across the border regularly. We saw about 40 years of a desegregation ruling that had students from a large, urban district moving to two smaller, rural districts to upset the balance at al three schools. Usually, the players who would not see major playing time at the big school ended up moving to play at the smaller schools, to their benefit. Now, with schools of choice, any student can attend any district, as long as there is room for them there. If you are tall and can run, there is always room!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:45 am 

DAC wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

I was just listening to a couple HS coaches talking about this and how crazy the transferring has become for college and now HS. And it was apparent how deflating it is when they work with kids as freshmen and sophomores often dealing with poor academics and classroom behavior and then they just end up transferring. You've got parents that have unrealistic expectations for their child who think that the reason their child is not a star is the coaches. This disloyalty cannot be good when you have passionate coaches who pour their hearts into coaching and helping these boys become young men.

Yes I get exactly what you're saying but it isn't about the coach it's about the kid. If the kid wants to place themself in a better situation, who am I or the coach for that matter, to stop them? They should be allowed to move if they believe it's going to be better for them.
And I also agree that parents are part of the problem too. Most, not all, have unrealistic expectations for their children and whenever they don't succeed, invariably it's the coaches fault.

It's not tough to ascertain a kid's talent level when you really get down to it. If they can really play then they will have no shortage of programs for which they can play for. When they cannot play, then the parent will seek to hold meetings with the principal in order to get the coach fired.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: Don't you have Kendall Gill's kid on the roster?

The right way is to have wealthy kids with good blood lines

He’s 3-4 on the team anyway at the moment as a sophomore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:27 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
The Man wrote:

https://patch.com/illinois/orlandpark/e ... d-district

Sandburg doing their best to not have shitty programs. Sounds like they are clean since the internal investigation cleared them of any wrongdoing.