It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I love this time of year. The preseason hype is in the air... and everyone is tied for first place. I'm encouraged about NU's prospects, but I'm realistic that the Cats won't get out of the bottom half of the Big 10. With the exception of the lineback position, we will be better in every position this year. In addition, we have an easier schedule, particularly with respect to our preseason fluff games. However, I don't think the fact that the Wildcats will be better this year means that they will do any better than 8th in the conference.

QB situation couldn't be much worse than last year, right? CJ "Rasberry" Bacher will likely get the spot. However, I think having Mike "don't call me Franz" Kafka with some real onfield experience will be a good thing.
A healthy Tyrell Sutton will also be nice. I did not know how many injuries the guy had last year... I think we should expect another 1,000 yard season. I'm pleased with the WR situation. And the line looks like it should hold its own.

Defense couldn't be much worse. Experience will help. We have a couple guys that look nice on paper, but I think our Defensive coordinator Greg Colby "Cheese" should be renamed Swiss with all the holes in that defense (EDII: That joke was just horrible). The youth of our linebackers scares me as I think a good QB will pick it apart.

We have an easy pre-conference schedule. That's what I said last year as I watched my team lose to New Hampshire. Nonetheless, I think moving past the Randy Walker mourning period will help the team click earlier in the season. Coaching is still a wild card. Even though Pat Fitzgerald was the emotional favorite, he is utterly unqualified for the position. Regardless, I'm his biggest fan and hope he does NU and the greater Chicago area proud. The boy from Orland Park has the heart and mind to go far... just perhaps not this year.

Go Cats.

p.s. I'm rooting for the Illini to finally put things together under Zook. I think they are poised to put something together to get out of the cellar. I'm also rooting for Iowa. Coach Ferentz is by far my favorite coach and I wish for good things for his program.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I'm rooting for the Illini to finally put things together under Zook. I think they are poised to put something together to get out of the cellar.

Oh, that's a hot one. Thanks for the laugh Mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm 

These were the previews I was reading...

College Football Network
http://cfn.scout.com/2/631753.html

Athlon Sports
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/10981/northwestern-2007-preview

ESPN
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=2919746&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d2919746 (Insider Subscription required)

The Final Score Blog
http://thefinalscoredotnet.blogspot.com/2007/06/big-ten-football-previews-part-iii.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:11 pm 

The player on Northwestern that looks to be a difference maker is Andrew Brewer. With a full offseason in at wideout, he could develop into the number 2 receiver on the team and after a while, the top threat because of his size. I think the Cats are geared up for a big season in 2008 but if they can go to a bowl this year, that would build great momentum going into it. They should get all the 3-4 of the non conf game and one or two conf games before the Illinois game which could be for a bowl game for both teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:28 pm 

He's a "we'll find a spot for you" kinda kid. I hope he does well at WR. I don't think Brewer will be timid in the crossing patterns across the middle... which is nice. His hands looked pretty reliable last year. It will be all about the timing and consistency of his patterns this year.

Post subject: On Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:03 pm 

Joking with my father-in-law ( former official) I told him I'm going to keep buying the forecast magazines because everytime I buy one the Badgers move up in predictions. Hope all the gurus are correct!

Can't wait for kickoff.

Check out the Big Ten Network web site on how to encourage Comcast to carry the BTN. Sounds like they need all the encouragement we Big Ten fans can give them.

Next stop Margarittaville Saturday them Madison for kickoff. Best of luck to your favorite teams except against UW![color=red]

On Wisconsin![color=red]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 pm 

Wisconsin looks to be really good. Thank god we don't play you guys this year.

Are you talking about the actual first game kickoff at Magaritaville or the Big 10 Kickoff Luncheon? I'll be making my fourth appearance at the Big 10 Kickoff Luncheon (I think at the Grand Hyatt) on Aug. 1. So much fun every year... I can't wait.

Believe it or not, I've already sent my request in to Comcast to get them to carry the BTN. I won't switch to Direct TV just for that, but I'd sure like to see it.

Post subject: Kickoff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 pm 

Buffett Saturday. I can never get tickets to the luncheon, maybe next year. I say that pretty easy being a Cubs fan too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Emmet Sullivan's game by game prediction for Northwestern follows. I don't agree with everything he writes, but it's an interesting to get another perspective.

vs. Northeastern: Yes, the Cats lost to I-AA New Hampshire last year, but that squad was actually good, unlike Northeastern. On a side note, all those people who ask if Northwestern is in Boston will be thoroughly confused when two Boston schools play in Evanston. 1-0.

vs. Nevada: In a rematch of last year's debacle in the desert, NU should get revenge. Nevada was mediocre last year, and the Cats should be better this time around. This year NU won't be enchanted by the bright lights of Reno, as this is one of seven home games for the Cats. 2-0.

vs. Duke: Since the Cats don't have a bye, NU coach Pat Fitzgerald should rest his players this week and line up NU's women's lacrosse team - after all, they've had a lot of success against the Blue Devils. 3-0.

at Ohio State: First real team, first real loss. The only chance the Cats have to win at the Horseshoe is if Justin Zwick comes back. Too bad that can't happen. 3-1, 0-1 Big Ten.

vs. Michigan: Someone in the Big Ten doesn't like NU, as the conference figured out a sure way to ruin any momentum the Cats gain in non-conference play - schedule the Buckeyes and Wolverines as the Cats' first two Big Ten foes. 3-2, 0-2.

at Michigan State: Despite the Spartans' historic comeback against the Cats last year, Michigan State was bad. With a new coach the team is still bad, but this time NU should pull away and stay away. 4-2, 1-2.

vs. Minnesota: Another bad Big Ten team. Too bad for the conference that it got its own network just in time to see mediocre football. Give the edge to the Cats because they're at home. 5-2, 2-2.

vs. Eastern Michigan: This game is a bye week disguised as a football game. But for many NU players it will be the only time they see an NFL stadium, so that's reason enough to show up. 6-2, 2-2.

at Purdue: Since in this projection the Cats are already assured of a .500 record, I'll go conservative here and say this is a loss. 6-3, 2-3.

vs. Iowa: Hawkeye coach Kirk Ferentz should have jumped to the NFL when he had the chance. Iowa is unusually down and can't seem to find a way to beat NU. The trend will continue. 7-3, 3-3.

vs. Indiana: The Hoosiers now have to go through the same terrible situation the Cats faced last year, as their coach Terry Hoeppner died. Football won't be the first thing on Indiana's players' minds. 8-3, 4-3.

at Illinois: The Zookster can't keep losing with all the talent he's bringing into Champaign. Illinois should be in the top half of the conference this season and will beat NU. 8-4, 4-4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 am 

No offense to MUD - but NU would be happy at a 6-6 record. I am not buying 8-4 for them. I'm doing my Big Ten preview this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm 

I would be happy with 6-6, but I think it is reasonable to go 4-0 with our OOC schedule and win 3 out of 4 against either Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, and Michigan State. I even think Iowa is winnable this year (no offense Vince) with a new QB and the Cash Money gang seen below behind bars:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:12 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I would be happy with 6-6, but I think it is reasonable to go 4-0 with our OOC schedule and win 3 out of 4 against either Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, and Michigan State. I even think Iowa is winnable this year (no offense Vince) with a new QB and the Cash Money gang seen below behind bars:

That was the pic I was looking for the other day. Just because the boys know how to make a little green while in school - you can't hate the player - hate the game!

Oh yeah, and for some reason NU has had Iowa's number so it is very winnable for NU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:21 pm 

I got it from the Hawkeye Compulsion blog. I read EDSBS.com (Every Day Should Be Saturday) all the time. IT IS A MUST READ COLLEGE FOOTBALL BLOG!! They linked to that Hawkeye Blog. I read alot of sports blogs... that one looks to be a very good one. Only NU blog I know about is LakethePosts.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:42 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
. Coaching is still a wild card. Even though Pat Fitzgerald was the emotional favorite, he is utterly unqualified for the position. Regardless, I'm his biggest fan and hope he does NU and the greater Chicago area proud. The boy from Orland Park has the heart and mind to go far... just perhaps not this year.

That is my question for Cats fans. Do you really think that Fitz is ready to be a head coach in the Big 10? I just cant see a 28 year old with no head coaching experience being able to recruit the kind of athletes that are needed to win in the Big 10.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:19 am 

Quote:
That is my question for Cats fans. Do you really think that Fitz is ready to be a head coach in the Big 10? I just cant see a 28 year old with no head coaching experience being able to recruit the kind of athletes that are needed to win in the Big 10.

First, he's 32 years old.

Second, no he is not ready to lead the team, but the administration has confidence that he will grow into the role. Randy Walker was grooming him to take over when his contract was over in 2012. But Fitz was head of recruiting when Randy passed. I don't worry about recruiting... I worry about coaching. We're not there yet, but he is the right thing for the program in the long run. The guy is a lifer. I'd rather have him now and have him stay and build the program over a number of years than have a Spurrier, Saban, etc. that leaves after 2 years. I know you'll think I'm nuts, but I'm less worried about wins than the reputation of the program.

Last edited by My_name_1s_MUD on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:10 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Quote:

First, he's 32 years old.

Second, no he is not ready to lead the team, but the administration has confidence that he will grow into the roll. Randy Walker was grooming him to take over when his contract was over in 2012. But Fitz was head of recruiting when Randy passed. I don't worry about recruiting... I worry about coaching. We're not there yet, but he is the right thing for the program in the long run. The guy is a lifer. I'd rather have him now and have him stay and build the program over a number of years than have a Spurrier, Saban, etc. that leaves after 2 years. I know you'll think I'm nuts, but I'm less worried about wins than the reputation of the program.

Given NU has had some success in the not too distant past, would NU fans live with 5 poor years of Fitz or will they be looking to move him in 2 years if they dont start making bowl games consistently?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:39 am 

Quote:
Given NU has had some success in the not too distant past, would NU fans live with 5 poor years of Fitz or will they be looking to move him in 2 years if they dont start making bowl games consistently?

Let's be brutally honest. How many die hard Cats fan do you know... other than me, of course? That's right... not many. As long as FitzG keeps his program clean, the administration will give him plenty of leeway for several years. Mark Murphy, our AD, is a great guy who wants to elevate our program, but I sincerely doubt that he'd get any pressure to ditch FitzG.

On a side note...
I absolutely LOOOOOVE our program, but the reason I love it has more to do with the way they compete with subpar talent. I love the underdogs, in this case, undercats. I love the little guy. After all, I'm from the most disappointing sports town in the history of mankind... Cleveland. Call me masochistic.

I am consistently disappointed in our fanbase. I'm embarassed that we don't fill our stadium. I don't blame the administration. I don't blame the team. I accept it as a fact of life. Since we draw from all over the country, our graduates generally leave Chicago. Lower enrollment sure doesn't help. Finally, we don't draw the non-alums like dOSU, Iowa, Wiscy does since there is a NFL team nearby. Every now and then I run into a die hard NU fan that never went to school there. It always amazes me... but it is nice to see. I'm not willing to admit defeat, though. I sincerely think it is possible to build an awesome program with an impressive fanbase despite the aforementioned setbacks. Notre Dame did it with Football. Duke did it with Basketball. I just wish we could do it with Football instead of Women's Lacrosse :oops: (nothing against the Lady Cats LAX team).