It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I got asked to go to the Big 10 Football Kickoff Luncheon at the Grand Hyatt for the third year in a row. Every year it is a blast. I got a chance to talk with NU Coach Fitzgerald, Adam Kadela (linebacker), Tyrell Sutton (running back), and Dylan Thiry (O Tackle). I even got them to sign a mini helmet. I said it was for the kids, but you guys know better! Coach Fitz, the pride of Carl Sandberg high school (Orland Park) and 2 time Defensive Player of the Year, couldn't have been nicer.

At the luncheon, each coach got up and gave a speech. It was generally pretty good, but it seemed like half a eulogy for Coach Hoeppner (Indiana) and half advertisement for the new Big 10 Network (get yer Direct TV). Overall it was only ok in comparison to the past years.

The best part, though, was at the end. They give away an expense paid trip to the Rose Bowl for 2. I didn't win that, but who cares because I'd rather see the Cats in the National Championship game in Lousiana (a boy can dream, can't he?). They also have a tradition of throwing out 6 footballs signed by all of the Big 10 coaches. The Grand Hyatt Grand Ballroom is, well, HUGE. We had horrible seats and had to watch on the jumbotron to the faaaaar right of the ballroom.

The MC read off several names and got to the sixth, and last ball. He read one number... not mine. No one stood up. He read another number... not mine. No one stood up. Finally, he read 127. I looked at my ticket... oh fo shizzle... it's mine. I stand up. The crowd gives a big 'oooooooooooooooooooooh' since this pass isn't going to be easy. It's about 40+ yards away with a low ceiling. Curtis Painter is the chosen deliverer of the ball (not the actual signed ball, I got that later). He fires a bullet that is a little short, and looking like it will land in a guy's lap sitting at the table next to me. I move... reach... and snatch the ball out of the air. My adreneline was pumping so hard that I didn't notice how bad my hands were stinging (they are still stinging, mind you). I wanted to spike the ball, but I thought that was a little much. Act like you've been there before. Instead, I just pooped my pants. Great day for a guy who never wins anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:54 pm 

Hey, Badger Vince... I saw Ferentz catching a cab afterwards. That guy just eminates greatness. That guy just LOOKS like he should win a couple national championships. He is now dubbed "Joe Pa for the next generation".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:14 pm 

Dude, where did that come from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 pm 

Guessing Rooney isn't president of the Dylan Thiry fan club

Post subject: What??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:44 am 

I don't get it.