It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:42 pm 

OT Jake Long, Michigan
LB: James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
CB: Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
KR: Marcus Thigpen, Indiana

Thigpen is really the only one that shocked me until I looked at his numbers from last year. He averaged over 30 ypg on kickoff returns and will only be helped by the fact that kickoffs are sliding back to the 30 from the 35 and will get more opportunities to run em back (especially with how bad the IU defense is).

Zbikowski from ND also made the list. I think he's very overrated - people are saying his issues came from a bad shoulder last year but I think he was exposed as a safety who will over pursue the run fake and get toasted deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:04 pm 

Look out for Dorien Bryant. I don't know if he will be good enough to make All American but he is poised to have a Taylor Stubblefield like senior season barring injury. I predict he is first team all Big Ten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:03 pm 

Bryant wouldn't be much of a surprise as all Big Ten - he had 80+ catches last year and is 3rd overall for Purdue's catches. He's a good wide out. If Painter can take a step up, he and Henne should be 1st/2nd team QBs.

Keller's a very good TE in a down year for Big Ten TE's with Speath, Chandler graduating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:07 pm 

Does Iowa have a QB controversy or has it been settled on who will replace Tate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's Jake Christensen at Iowa isn't it?

I think Henne has a chance to be in the first two All America teams. The only other guy nationally rated higher is Brohm?. WHile Colt Brennan will put up phenomenal stats, many AA voters will likely downgrade him because of the system and the competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 pm 

The starter coming into the season is RS Soph Jake Christensen. They have a couple of RS Fr that are pushing him a bit but Jake has some experience from last year that gives him the edge. I'm glad the Tate era is over - he really pissed me off last year with his antics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
It's Jake Christensen at Iowa isn't it?

I think Henne has a chance to be in the first two All America teams. The only other guy nationally rated higher is Brohm?. WHile Colt Brennan will put up phenomenal stats, many AA voters will likely downgrade him because of the system and the competition.

Your top QBs are:

Brohm
Brennan
Pat White from WV
McCoy
Booty from USC
Henne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:20 pm 

I think Colt McCoy could have a monster year, as should Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:22 pm 

McCoy impressed me - I saw his star wideout is healthy and ready to play the opener. They should be good again and win the Big 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:28 pm 

As for Big Ten QB's:
Henne will be the best.
Painter will put up the best numbers but also the most interceptions.
Morelli will struggle and hold Penn State back.
Iowa will find a way to have good QB play once again since it seems every first year QB excels.
Juice Williams will be tough to stop running but his accuracy will cost them games. They will beat someone they shouldn't.
Kellen Lewis will do fairly well on a bad team. James Hardy will help him a lot.
OSU won't need good QB play.
MSU won't be good this year. The cupboard is bare. I don't know about their QB situation well enough.
NW too.
Wisconsin will not rely heavily on the QB as they rarely do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
As for Big Ten QB's:
Henne will be the best.
Painter will put up the best numbers but also the most interceptions.
Morelli will struggle and hold Penn State back.
Iowa will find a way to have good QB play once again since it seems every first year QB excels.
Juice Williams will be tough to stop running but his accuracy will cost them games. They will beat someone they shouldn't.
Kellen Lewis will do fairly well on a bad team. James Hardy will help him a lot.
OSU won't need good QB play.
MSU won't be good this year. The cupboard is bare. I don't know about their QB situation well enough.
NW too.
Wisconsin will not rely heavily on the QB as they rarely do.

Henne is the best 'pro style' QB in the big ten I agree. But with weapons like Manningham and Arrington he should be putting up bigger numbers.

Painter will have the best numbers and if he can lower his INTs, he should be right there for 1st team all big ten.

Tyler Donovan (WI) had a few good games when Stocco was hurt but it's pretty easy handing off to PJ Hill right and PJ Hill left. I'd like to see him more when he's got to deal. Note - he did come to UW as an option QB. Second note - he could be behind Evridge from KSU before it's all said and done.

Morelli is a headscratcher. If he can be consistent, PSU will be a force. I don't think he can get away with 2400 yards in 12 games and only 11 TDs again.

Christensen at Iowa will be fine. The receivers have a year of seasoning under the belts and they looked good at the end of last season. He'll be steady, not spectacular and not as a emotional rollercoaster as Drew Tate.

Kellen Lewis (IU) is a good QB with one big option - James Hardy. I don't think there is any corner in the league that can go 1:1 with Hardy with his size and speed.

Hoyer at MSU had some good outings when Stanton got hurt last year but is on the small side (6'2" 210) and with the Spartans rebuilding project, he could be in for a few hits.

Northwestern will break in a new QB to the spread offense. If he can hand the ball off to Sutton, he'll do a fine job.

The Juice could be the most improved QB in the Big Ten or looking for a new position next year. This is a turning point for him.

OSU is breaking in a new QB and will need to rely on their defense more a la the Krenzel years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Your top QBs are:

Brohm
Brennan
Pat White from WV
McCoy
Booty from USC
Henne

You're forgetting about Andre' Woodson from Kentucky, he's a hot name right now after a breakout '06 for the Wildcats. Also, I agree with Rick that the Illini will beat someone they shouldn't, but they'll also lose a couple they probably shouldn't. Overall, I'm hoping (as a former Illini student) they at least get close to a lower level bowl game and get primed for a strong '08.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Curtis Painter has the ability to due tremendous things this year. And he'll have to. Purdue's Defense is Northwestern-like (It pains me to say that!). I saw Painter absolutely dismantle Northwestern last year. That guy has the ability to light it up. He's big... he's got an arm... and he's got some talent to spread the ball to. With another year under his belt, that guy could surpass Henne as the B10 player to watch.

As for all of the other B10 QBs, it's hard for me to get excited. I don't drink the Morelli cool aid. Personally, I think hyped high school QBs are a dime a dozen. Juice Williams is as much as a liability as an asset. I'm not sure UofI has developed a system that Juice fits into. I'm not sure anyone has built a system that Juice fits into. He still reminds me of a very undisciplined version of Antwan Randle-El.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Quote:
Northwestern will break in a new QB to the spread offense. If he can hand the ball off to Sutton, he'll do a fine job.

NU's QB, CJ Bacher has had some experience already. He got in periodically in 2005 when Baz was hurt. He also started the latter half the season in 2006.

And he's gonna have to do more than hand the ball off. The spread offense is predicated on having a reasonable passing threat to spread the defense out. Everyone put 8 in the box against NU... and rightly so since we didn't have a credible passing threat until Bacher got the starting job. It's frankly amazing that Sutton posted a 1,000 yard season with every defensive scheme zoning in on him.