It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:57 am 

Players are getting arrested for stupid stupid stupid crimes

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070820/SPORTS020502/70820005/1003/NEWS

Iowa football players Dominique Douglas and Anthony Bowman were arrested Sunday morning for unauthorized use of credit cards, according to a spokesman for the University of Iowa Department of Public Service.

Lt. Peter Berkson said today that the players were arrested for “using stolen credit cards,” a felony. He said both players were released on their own recognizance.

Police records allege the players bought $2,016.76 worth of merchandise from three area businesses "using stolen credit cards belonging to two separate victims."

Douglas was listed as a starter on the recent depth chart, and he played in Saturday’s public scrimmage. The sophomore caught 49 passes last season for 654 yards and two touchdowns.

Bowman, a sophomore, played on special teams last season.

“We’re examining all the facts, and then we‘ll act appropriately,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement released by the school’s sports information department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Yeah... kids will be kids at the end of the day. I'm not making excuses for them, but I'll acknowledge that alot of these guys have a sense of entitlement after being pursued aggressively by coaches. When they get thrust into the life of a student athlete (which I would argue is much tougher than most would care to admit), they don't deal well. The pressure is huge, particularly at a great program like Iowa. Assuming the kid is appropriately sorry, I think suspending him from a handful of games is appropriate. I'm not sure what Iowa or NCAA rules stipulate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 am 

Purdue has had it's share of off season issues this year. Two DUI's I believe(one player left the team) and a player got stabbed. It wasn't his fault.

IU had Blake Powers get arrested for trying to skip out on a cab fare. It actually is a pretty serious crime.

Penn State had a few players start a brawl at a house party where 1 other person was knocked unconscious. They were lucky no one was seriously hurt otherwise it could have been really bad. The rumor was that 20-30 players were there or on the way.

Minnesota had to kick some players off the team.

Notre Dame had a player solicit a prostitute, a QB(Jones) was caught with marijuana in a car he was driving(the owner of the car said it was his so he got off), and Jimmy Clausen got a citation for being the driver of a car as his 23 year old friend bought alcohol. I didn't even know that was a law but that's Indiana for you.

College kids can be stupid, and football players are no exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
If the players could just get paid, there would be no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:28 am 

Killer V wrote:
If the players could just get paid, there would be no problems.

USC still has problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:59 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Assuming the kid is appropriately sorry, I think suspending him from a handful of games is appropriate. I'm not sure what Iowa or NCAA rules stipulate.

Unfortunately in this case, this crime would be a felony and Kirk's mantra is to suspend for small cases (like a brawl) and terminate the scholarship if it is a greater crime or second offense.

In this case, both players right now are suspended indefinitely. I have heard 3 games at the minimum. If they are found guilty you can kiss them good night.

Douglas is the bigger loss as he was the top freshman receiver in terms of receptions last year in the country and was third in yards gained. Bowman was primarily a kick returner but was thought to be the #2 receiver this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Douglas is the bigger loss as he was the top freshman receiver in terms of receptions last year in the country and was third in yards gained. Bowman was primarily a kick returner but was thought to be the #2 receiver this year.

This one hurts Vince. I was pumped about having Douglas on the team this year as a sophomore. I can't remember the last time, if ever, we got that much production out of a freshman WR. This is a huge blow to the team. I'm pretty pissed off right now. We aren't going to have much to root for this season and he was going to be "my guy." Damn this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:13 pm 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

This one hurts Vince. I was pumped about having Douglas on the team this year as a sophomore. I can't remember the last time, if ever, we got that much production out of a freshman WR. This is a huge blow to the team. I'm pretty pissed off right now. We aren't going to have much to root for this season and he was going to be "my guy." Damn this.

Don't fret - the cupboard isn't bare. Big loss sure, but it's time for the next man in. Welcome to the starting lineup Trey Stross who I think could be a Ed Hinkel in disguise.

And you can still buy your Douglas jersey:
http://www.hawkshop.com/ePOS/this_categ ... design=103

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 pm 

Time to take on more stupid hijinks from the Hawkeyes:

Nelson fails to appear in court
Iowa City police issued an arrest warrant Thursday for Iowa backup quarterback Arvelle Nelson for failure to appear in court, online court records show. Nelson, a redshirt freshman, was charged on July 2 with driving while his license was suspended in downtown Iowa City, fined $390 and ordered to appear in court July 31.

Nelson, a Cleveland native, is listed as the co-No. 2 quarterback on Iowa's depth chart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm 

Quote:
Nelson, a Cleveland native, is listed as the co-No. 2 quarterback on Iowa's depth chart.

Figures, he's from Cleveland. Everyone from Cleveland is an asshole... I know this because I am from Cleveland... enuff said, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:44 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Quote:

Figures, he's from Cleveland. Everyone from Cleveland is an asshole... I know this because I am from Cleveland... enuff said, right?

There there poor Cleveland/Wildcat fan, it'll be ok.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:10 am 

Quote:
There there poor Cleveland/Wildcat fan, it'll be ok.

:lol:

I know I know! Can you imagine a better combination of disappointing sports franchises?

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND BARONS!