It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 pm 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

Clausen cited: Irish QB, gets misdemeanor for transporting alcohol

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Freshman Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen has entered a pretrial diversion program after receiving a misdemeanor citation for transporting alcohol as a minor, a newspaper reports. Indiana State Excise Police cited Clausen and a 23-year-old on June 23 outside a liquor store near the University of Notre Dame campus, police said Friday.

Excise police were in an unmarked car outside the store to catch minors attempting to get alcohol, Lt. Tim Cleveland, a police spokesman, told the South Bend Tribune. Clausen was cited for a misdemeanor citation, while the 23-year-old, a recent Notre Dame graduate, was cited for inducing a minor to possess alcohol, an infraction. Clausen declined comment Friday through the university. Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis also declined comment.

Police said the 23-year-old entered the store and bought two 1.75-liter bottles of vodka, a 200-milliliter bottle of whiskey, and case containing 30 cans of beer. Clausen remained outside the store in a Chevrolet Tahoe along with another Notre Dame freshman, who was not cited.

Clausen has entered a pretrial diversion program with the St. Joseph County prosecutor's office, said Linda Scopelitis, who directs the program.
Under the terms of the agreement, signed on July 11, Clausen agreed to pay a $170 fee and to not commit a similar offense for a year, Scopelitis said. If he meets those terms, he will not face a misdemeanor charge for the June incident, she said. But if he's cited for the same offense within a year, he'll face two misdemeanor charges.

Clausen must also likely deal with the university's Office of Residence Life and Housing, as well as Weis. The Irish open the season at home Sept. 1 against Georgia Tech. Clausen, the nation's No. 1 recruit in the last recruiting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:23 pm 

Any word on how this will affect him winning his first of four heisman's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:41 pm 

At least I can share something with my Purdue brethern - dislike for ND. Had a party this weekend with 4 Boiler alums and they all attacked ND. It was fun. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
why wasn't the other freshman charged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
why wasn't the other freshman charged?

I believe since he wasn't driving, he doesn't get charged. How would you prove he knew what was going on? Clausen on the other hand pulled into the liquor store.

It's a pretty stupid law in any case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

where did it say he was driving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:13 pm 

It's implied in the trasporting the alcohol as a minor charge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:14 pm 

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=258976

" Weis said he himself didn't know it was illegal for someone who's underage -- Clausen is 19 -- to drive someone who is of legal drinking age to a liquor store to buy alcohol. He used the analogy of a friend of his son's driving the coach to a supermarket to buy a six pack of beer."

Charlie Weis believes he was driving the car. He also was charged with transporting alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

hmmm...
so, would it be illegal to drive with alcohol with your parents in the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:16 pm 

Hey Charlie - why don't you stick your head in the sand? Douche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Weiss should know by now that it doesn't do any good to comment on this. Coaches need to learn to shut their trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:01 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
hmmm...
so, would it be illegal to drive with alcohol with your parents in the car?

It probably could be, but maybe not. Depends on the law of the state and how forgiving the police officer wants to be. I know that anyone under the age of 21 in Indiana is not allowed into a liquor store(even to buy soda). I know that holding a beer on your property can get you a minor possession.

In this case though, he was with a 23 year old, so it doesn't matter in this case. He did something wrong in the eyes of the law, and ignorance is a poor excuse. It wouldn't work at a seat belt enforcement zone as the driver is the one who is ticketed for having passengers who aren't wearing seat belts.

His friend should have driven himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I think some blame has to be put on the program. If Clausen really didn't know the law, then the program didn't do a very good job of educating him. It should be a big priority to keep these kids out of trouble.

On a side note, I'm told that Indiana excise cops are the most zealous rent-a-cops in the history of mankind. Apparently they stalk out liquor stores waiting to pounce on minors. As a father of 4, I don't have a problem with that, but I think it is unreasonable to think that the kids aren't gonna try to grab a brew.