It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Big Ten's 12th team?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:44 pm 

How about some ideas for the Big Ten? Let's not bring up ND, unless the are willing to give up all those Irish TV greenbacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:49 pm 

There are two I commonly here: Pitt and Missouri. I think Pitt would be more attractive to build up a base in pennsylvania. I think Missouri recent dirty past would hurt ever bringing them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
here are my rambling thoughts:
I actually think the Rutgers idea makes some sense. It brings in a lot more revenues in a new regional market (East Coast). I wouldn't recommend bringing in anyone else unless we can get phenomenal dollars. That's why any talk of Missouri is ridiculous. I've heard Syracuse, which may be better for football AND basketball. I know the coaches are MAJORLY against this since it would necessitate a Big Ten championship game at the end of the season. I have no problem with this as a fan, but you sure aren't doing anything nice to their studies by adding another week of football. Might as well just kiss there First Semester goodbye and make them go to school part time. If the Big 10 stands for academic integrity, then I don't think we should do it. But since we allow UofM's Kinesiology majors, we're not fooling anyone with the academic integrity thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
There are two I commonly here: Pitt and Missouri. I think Pitt would be more attractive to build up a base in pennsylvania. I think Missouri recent dirty past would hurt ever bringing them in.

Pitt would be interesting to give a Pitt/Penn St rivalry. The best part of the Big 10 to me are the rivalries. If you can't do ND, Pitt would seem to give the best chance of a new rivalry.

Missou/ILL or Missou/Ia doesn't do as much for me.

Syracuse or Rutgers would be a mistake in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:57 pm 

Others I have heard: Syracuse, Rutgers, Connecticut to try and tap into the east coast.

Louisville and West Virginia has been mentioned.

The problem is that the Big Ten is not only an athletic conference, but an academic partnership so whatever school it is has to meet certain criteria. Notre Dame would have had to pledge major additions to a lot of the areas it is lacking(research and Phd programs). It was willing to do it but in their current state they do not meet the academic requirements. This is not to say that they are not a good academic school but the profile for any new Big Ten team will have to. The CIC, which still includes the University of Chicago, is an important part of the Big Ten.

Some of the schools I mentioned above have the same issues.

The most interesting one is the University of Toronto. It is one of the best universities in the world and football is surprisingly popular up there. I don't know much about their athletics and the hassles of passports and dealing with NCAA approval might be a bit much but the schools fit together academically.

I don't think any school is a perfect fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Pitt would be interesting to give a Pitt/Penn St rivalry. The best part of the Big 10 to me are the rivalries. If you can't do ND, Pitt would seem to give the best chance of a new rivalry.

Missou/ILL or Missou/Ia doesn't do as much for me.

Syracuse or Rutgers would be a mistake in my mind.

After Missouri ducked Iowa during the season they thought they could 'win it all', I could care less about them. I actually wouldn't mind Pitt myself. Rutgers is fine so is Syracuse, but you need to have the dough to be with the big boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:00 pm 

I think Joe Pa would have a problem with Pitt coming in. There is some sort of old grudge from back in the day's. Don't have exact details, but that may be the ax for Pitt. But I like them too.

I'd like to see Iowa State before Missouri if I had a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:05 pm 

Pitt doesn't get you enough ratings. If it doesn't get enough ratings, then there's not enough dollars. If there is not enough dollars then what in the hell do you want to expand the Big 10 for? For the fun of it? No way. ND satisfies every criteria... atheletic, academic, and delivers a national audience. I know we'll never get them, but that is the only kind of team that I think it makes sense to add. I think Penn State was a great add. Anything less than that type of school won't pass B10 muster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm 

I personally think that IU football joining the Big Ten would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:14 pm 

They need to keep it close. Nothing out east, otherwise it will start looking like some jumbled Big East basketball conference. Too bad NIU wasn't a little bigger and better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:16 pm 

Maybe the Hilltoppers from Western Kentucky? If the team needs some help they can pull some talent from JCA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:24 pm 

Quote:
They need to keep it close. Nothing out east, otherwise it will start looking like some jumbled Big East basketball conference. Too bad NIU wasn't a little bigger and better.

Do you really care where it is located? I could care less as long as it is the right school that makes the conference stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:50 pm 

Then I'd like to start working on pulling Nebraska from the Big 12 and go from there. I think Callahan would welcome that change of venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Bring in Boise State then. I'd love to see Penn State's "classic" uniforms running around on the smurf turf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:11 pm 

Badger Vince wrote:
Then I'd like to start working on pulling Nebraska from the Big 12 and go from there. I think Callahan would welcome that change of venue.

Good idea but I dont see them leaving the Big 8/12 roots.

I could see Colorado being somewhat attractive, but that's a long road trip for Penn State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:55 pm 

Quote:
I could see Colorado being somewhat attractive, but that's a long road trip for Penn State.

Wow... you really are throwing out the academic standards now. Hackey Sack 101 anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Quote:

Wow... you really are throwing out the academic standards now. Hackey Sack 101 anyone?

I've seen people say MAC teams. With the exception of Ohio U, there aren't many super academic institutions in that conference.

And while the ratings are flawed usually, Colorado is 79th in the recent US News ratings for top school, 4 places below Indiana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:39 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Quote:

I've seen people say MAC teams. With the exception of Ohio U, there aren't many super academic institutions in that conference.

And while the ratings are flawed usually, Colorado is 79th in the recent US News ratings for top school, 4 places below Indiana.

Here are my two cents. First...why do they need a 12th team? The conference is healthy and competitve now. Since 1995, nearly every team except for Indiana has had at least some success. You have great rivalries and I think the TV ratings are good as well. Second, if they add a 12th team, only one makes sense at all--Notre Dame. Syracuse would never leave the Big East (better basketball, tradition). Missouri has been in the Big 12/Big8 for decades, no reason to change. The only school that would have made sense is Louisville, but they just joined the Big East and seem content. Notre Dame fits the bill geographically and academically. I think that sometime in my lifetime, Notre Dame will join the Big 10. Once a playoff system is in-place, the Irish will have to join a conference and the Big Ten would be the only one they could join. As long as the league gave them some latitude in regards to a non-conf schedule (only 8 conference games), a deal will be worked out sometime before the Cubs win the World Series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
The only school that would have made sense is Louisville, but they just joined the Big East and seem content.

I wouldn't mind Louisville joining if they have to add a 12th team. Still in the area, obviously an up-and-comer in football, and the history of their basketball program. You already have the IU - Louisville rivalry in basketball (even though I can't stand Pitino).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:55 pm 

Darren - Tinley Park wrote:
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
The only school that would have made sense is Louisville, but they just joined the Big East and seem content.

I wouldn't mind Louisville joining if they have to add a 12th team. Still in the area, obviously an up-and-comer in football, and the history of their basketball program. You already have the IU - Louisville rivalry in basketball (even though I can't stand Pitino).

I think it makes sense, but no one is going to ask me.