It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Admittedly we are talking about a I-AA team (now FCS), but I think I don't need to make the point that I-AA teams can be good now, don't I? Here's my assessment:

Special teams... 2 nice field goals. Straight down the middle. All EPs were right on. We kicked off 3 into the endzone. Punts were very good. This is something NU fans are just not used to. You might think it average, but I thought it looked great.

Defense. Overall, you can't complain about a shut out, but Northeastern's Offense was more bad than we were good. DBs looked pretty good. Many missed assignments, though. Our LBs were out of position all game and a good passing team would have picked them apart. Defensive line was supposed to be our strong point, but they did squat. They had no sacks and did not deal with double teams well.

Offensive line was adequate. Admittedly we were without Trevor Rees, one of our most experienced linemen due to a suspension. However, the O-line should have shut down NE based purely on size. Our QB had to scamper more than he should have. And he is supposed to be a pocket passer. We need more work there.

Wide Receiver were money. Lots of nice catches. Routes could be crisper, but overall pretty good. And I FRICKIN' love to see our WR block. They actually took it seriously. Great job.

Our QB CJ Bacher looked great. He took a few pops, but got back up and put the ball where it needed to be. If we needed a credible passing game to open up the field for Tyrell Sutton, then we sure accomplished that. Tyrell Sutton (RB) didn't have any highlight film runs, but he did exactly what was asked of him. He ran, he caught, and he accumulated yards when we needed him too. Our other RBs didn't do anything impressive, but Roberson looked like a serviceable backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:16 pm 

For what it's worth, the Tribune article by Ski Mylenski was titled "The art of a masterpiece." That is just plain ridiculous. I'm pleased with the performance. But c'mon, that is a little much.

I also like how the Illini and NU games were buried yet the entire front page of the frickin' sports section was dedicated to ND... c'mon. So what, the domers lost... they weren't favored anyway. GT is a good team... why the big hooplah over the loss? Stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:33 pm 

Every year I brave a preconference game with the family. Since NU is on quarters, and students aren't there yet, the games usually have plenty of seats for a family like mine to spread out and enjoy the day. It is a perfect family outing, in my opinion.

All I ask for is one photo. That's all I ask. I have them for the last 4 years. It's pretty cool. Here is the crew this year (minus one... we left the one year old at home with Grandma).

[img]x[img]

Last edited by My_name_1s_MUD on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
That's a cute family, except for the big dopey looking guy with the #19 jersey. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:10 pm 

My wife reminds me daily that I married waaaaay out of my league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:00 am 
1000 CLUB

Perfect execution on both sides of the ball by the 'Cats. Great game. We were sitting just to the left of that pic.

That's a cute family!!

Mud - any idea where to get an old Schnur, Autrey, or Basanez jersey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

After the game with the cheerleaders . . .

Tried to get a phone number for you, doug. No luck.

Last edited by sportsfan on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:30 pm 

NSJ wrote:

any idea where to get an old Schnur, Autrey, or Basanez jersey?

Goodwill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:05 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
For what it's worth, the Tribune article by Ski Mylenski was titled "The art of a masterpiece." That is just plain ridiculous. I'm pleased with the performance. But c'mon, that is a little much.

I also like how the Illini and NU games were buried yet the entire front page of the frickin' sports section was dedicated to ND... c'mon. So what, the domers lost... they weren't favored anyway. GT is a good team... why the big hooplah over the loss? Stupid.

There are more ND fans in the Chicago area than NU and Illinois combined, thats why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 pm 

It is always a good sign when your defense shuts out a team. Last year Purdue gave up 35 points to Indiana State in it's first game and the defense played similarly bad for the first half of the season and only slightly better to end it. I don't think any Big Ten team will ever look at a 1-AA team again after Michigan's adventure on Saturday.

Glad you had a good time and hopefully Northwestern can pull out a bowl game this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm 

I see you guys were at a Northwestern game.....1) All the empty seats behind MUD and 2) No one tailgating outside the game

:-)

Have to see what pics the wife got from sold out Kinnick...err..Soldier Field. (45K Iowa fans)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Amato's
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
There are more ND fans in the Chicago area than NU and Illinois combined, thats why.

I call Bullshit. If that were the case, Tribune circ numbers would not be sinking and TribCo would not be selling the paper to Zell. The fact is, the Trib Sports Section sucks because the editors think it should be more like a) the South Bend Sports Section and b) Vineline. I can only hope that Zell comes in and fires everyone and starts from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
NSJ wrote:
After the game with the cheerleaders . . .

Tried to get a phone number for you, doug. No luck.

i appreciate your thoughts NSJ, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Goodwill?

Ha. Ha. I can appreciate the hostility though. NU has owned the Hawkeye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:22 pm 

NSJ wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Goodwill?

Ha. Ha. I can appreciate the hostility though. NU has owned the Hawkeye.

Hehe - Good one NSJ. Actually I figured you would be able to find many jersey from the bandwagonners that weren't in Evanston on Saturday.

Seriously now - does it piss you guys off that on a beautiful fall day for the opener that Northwestern draws 17K? I know it was Northeastern, but still this is a D1 program and only 17K walk through the turnstyles?!? That's pathetic.

By comparison of 'smart schools' Vandy drew 32K for a game against Richmond this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

It pisses me off more than you would believe. But it will never change. Northwestern has no base in the Chicago area and more than 50% of my friends (and likely the alumni population) live in different states. Guys I know who went to Kellogg or the Law School could give a damn about the Cats.

The worst part about it is not a day like Saturday, but days when the Purdue's, Iowans, Stater's etc. our by far more loud than the purple.

I don't dislike any Big 10 team, but two years ago, some drunk Boilermaker's would yell "Cheeeaaaters!" after every penalty. Tought to take crap in your own house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm 

NSJ wrote:
I don't dislike any Big 10 team, but two years ago, some drunk Boilermaker's would yell "Cheeeaaaters!" after every penalty. Tought to take crap in your own house.

Oh sorry about that.

Actually I've never been to a game at Evanston. That will change soon enough. Northwestern does a TERRIBLE job of public relations in the Chicago area. I grew up in the area and never once had anything that made me want to be a Wildcat fan. I didn't become a huge college football fan until I got to Purdue but I had interest in it for about 10 years before. I remember Gary Barnett and the Wildcats going to Rose Bowls and I never came close to being a NW fan. I don't know why but NW does not even try to get the local fans excited like most other Big Ten teams do.

I feel your pain about the out of state fans as Purdue runs into a similar problem. Most of the people I knew in school are now all over the country. I know a couple that moved to Indianapolis but besides that it's a large area. They have developed a large following of people in the local area but it is nothing like Penn State, Ohio State, or even Iowa has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:41 pm 

NSJ wrote:
It pisses me off more than you would believe. But it will never change. Northwestern has no base in the Chicago area and more than 50% of my friends (and likely the alumni population) live in different states. Guys I know who went to Kellogg or the Law School could give a damn about the Cats.

The worst part about it is not a day like Saturday, but days when the Purdue's, Iowans, Stater's etc. our by far more loud than the purple.

Basketball is a bit better since school is in session and they typically fill the arena, but I could see that being bad for football. And definitely if football starts going, they will sell more seats but it's a total bandwagon culture in Evanston.

Compare that to Iowa, Iowa fans tend to travel well (as seen by the 40-45K at Soldier Field this weekend) and sell out of the house in Iowa City all the time. I think the last non sellout was in 2002 against Buffalo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:47 pm 

You think that's impressive. Purdue sold out the Glass Bowl in Toledo! The first one since 2004!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:20 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:

I call Bullshit. If that were the case, Tribune circ numbers would not be sinking and TribCo would not be selling the paper to Zell. The fact is, the Trib Sports Section sucks because the editors think it should be more like a) the South Bend Sports Section and b) Vineline. I can only hope that Zell comes in and fires everyone and starts from scratch.

Go ahead and call bullshit.....but, I will call your bullshit.
Notre Dame has sold out every game for more than 30 years. Illinois and Northwestern might sell out one game a year. Go check the parking lot on a Saturday afternoon, there are TONS of Illinois plates in the lot. If you polled "sports fans" across Chicago and aksed them which college football team do you follow the closest, the most popular response would be none (Chicago is historically not a college sports town). But, the second most popular response would be Notre Dame. Granted Notre Dame has a national following, but it has a HUGE alumni base in Chicago. I realize that there are more Illinois alums in the Chicago area (and probably Northwestern to). But, about 85 percent of the ND alumni follow the football team. If you took the same poll of Illinois and Northwestern alums and the number would dwindle to maybe 25 percent. When basketball season rolls around, the trib covers the Illini and DePaul, the most popular basketball teams. The trib will sell more papers covering more ND football than Illini football. Like it or not, most non-alums of Illinois do not consider the Illini their home team. But, there are countless non-ND alums that follow the Irish just like they would the Bears.

The stories in the sports section have virtually nothing to do with the circ numbers. I dont think if the trib did a spread on Juice Williams that circulation would increase at all and if Pat Fitzgerald graced the front page, the numbers might increase in Evanston and in Orland, but not nationwide.

It has to do with the fact that most people can get their news via the internet or TV. Why would I pay 50 cents to read a sports section that I can read for free at work? So, basically you are wrong for two reasons
1. More Irish fans in Chicago than the other two teams
2. Stories in the sports section have nothing to do with circulation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You think that's impressive. Purdue sold out the Glass Bowl in Toledo! The first one since 2004!

Dude, that game had more people in the stands than the NU game. 26K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 am 

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
It has to do with the fact that most people can get their news via the internet or TV. Why would I pay 50 cents to read a sports section that I can read for free at work? So, basically you are wrong for two reasons

1. Stories in the sports section have nothing to do with circulation? Are you serious? You have to be joking. You must be in management for the Tribune if you believe it is true because it is that type of thinking that has got them in the trouble they are in.

2. Your alumni/fan stats...Where did you get these numbers from? Is there a link?

3. Maybe more people get their sports info from TV and the Internet for the precise reason that the Trib et al are sucking up to a team from Indiana; i.e., they are not catering to the actual newspaper buying audience.

4. The Trib does a shitty job covering Illinois and DePaul basketball. They have a beat writer and that is about it. Don't even go there.

5. The non-ND going ND fans I see working at the Cook County Circuit Court Clerk's office are not reading the Trib but the Sun-Times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:06 pm 

The only way NU will ever get a fan base in Chicago is to win. Pure and simple. The uptick in season ticket sales at Ryan (I mean Lesbian) Field spiked after the Rose Bowl season and has been dwindling ever since. I'm genuinely embarassed. What else can I say? I guess the only upside is I get nice season tix... 40 yard line 25th row. Win and they will come. I bet Cameron was a ghost town before the Duke B'ball program turned around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:

1. Stories in the sports section have nothing to do with circulation? Are you serious? You have to be joking. You must be in management for the Tribune if you believe it is true because it is that type of thinking that has got them in the trouble they are in.

2. Your alumni/fan stats...Where did you get these numbers from? Is there a link?

3. Maybe more people get their sports info from TV and the Internet for the precise reason that the Trib et al are sucking up to a team from Indiana; i.e., they are not catering to the actual newspaper buying audience.

4. The Trib does a shitty job covering Illinois and DePaul basketball. They have a beat writer and that is about it. Don't even go there.

5. The non-ND going ND fans I see working at the Cook County Circuit Court Clerk's office are not reading the Trib but the Sun-Times.

Oh, you must be right. I am sure that if the Trib covered more of Illinois football, their circ numbers would be through the roof. Other than you, I have never met someone that does not buy the newspaper because of coverage of Juice Williams. It is all about the internet and TV. But, You want some data....look at the TV ratings. I dont even know if Illinois or NU are on tv. The reason...NO ONE CARES ABOUT THEIR FOOTBALL TEAMS. Love them or hate them, Notre Dame football is going to sell more newspapers than Illinois football. In reality, if the tribune really wanted to sell papers, they would only have three teams on the front page of their sports section--the Bears, the Cubs, and the White Sox. Those are really the only teams that matter in Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
it's been broached in the past to some extent....

but,
sweet fam MUD. well done!

btw:
I had you as a 23 year old grad student for some reason.
certainly not uber-dad. :lol:
8)
I guess the adage applies about the book and the cover....or something.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:

]

I will address your idiotic post point by point.
OK..not nothing, but very little. Times they are a changing. You want big newspaper numbers, go take a time machine back to the Spanish American War.
Dont have raw data. If you read my post, you will see that I said that Illinois has more alums. Notre Dame care more about their football team. Lets use these numbers as examples...
Lets say that the Chicagoland area has 100,000 Illinois Alums, maybe 20,000 of these alums would read an article about the football team. If Chicago has 50,000 ND alums, 30,000 of them would read about the football team. Look at the amount of dontations that ND gets to their athletic program and the amount of donations that Illinois gets.

No, its conveinence. It is just easier to log on the web. People do not read that much into 50 cent purchases. They dont think to buy a newspaper because they just read it online at work.

What does this have to do with the arugment? I never said the coverage was good. I just said it was there. For the record, I read the Daily Herald and Suntimes before I read the trib (all online for free) beacause of better prep sports coverage and better columnists respectively.

See above. ND fans are more likely to follow local sports--alums of Catholic high schools with strong alumni bases. The other two papers cover local sports a lot better. So maybe if the tribune wanted to sell more papers, they would cover prep sports better, not two big 10 doormats with virtually no significant alumni support in the circulation area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:51 am 

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
]
I will address your idiotic post point by point.
OK..not nothing, but very little. Times they are a changing. You want big newspaper numbers, go take a time machine back to the Spanish American War.
Dont have raw data. If you read my post, you will see that I said that Illinois has more alums. Notre Dame care more about their football team. Lets use these numbers as examples...
Lets say that the Chicagoland area has 100,000 Illinois Alums, maybe 20,000 of these alums would read an article about the football team. If Chicago has 50,000 ND alums, 30,000 of them would read about the football team. Look at the amount of dontations that ND gets to their athletic program and the amount of donations that Illinois gets.

No, its conveinence. It is just easier to log on the web. People do not read that much into 50 cent purchases. They dont think to buy a newspaper because they just read it online at work.

What does this have to do with the arugment? I never said the coverage was good. I just said it was there. For the record, I read the Daily Herald and Suntimes before I read the trib (all online for free) beacause of better prep sports coverage and better columnists respectively.

See above. ND fans are more likely to follow local sports--alums of Catholic high schools with strong alumni bases. The other two papers cover local sports a lot better. So maybe if the tribune wanted to sell more papers, they would cover prep sports better, not two big 10 doormats with virtually no significant alumni support in the circulation area.
[/quote]

1. No, you are moron. The Trib is not publishing 3 ND stories on Sat for its health. It is doing it because it "thinks" that is what the newspaper reading public wants and will buy the paper to read. I am saying they are wrong and the declining circulation and ad numbers are support for this argument. Newspapers are no different than TV Networks. They produce stories/shows that they think will gain viewers. (I like how you dispute the point in #1, and then turn around and try to argue my point in #2 and in #5. Did you actually go to ND to learn such logic?)

2. Like I thought. You pulled the numbers out of your ass.

3. There are a ton of people in this area, and in the country, who do not log onto the web. The fact is people are not reading newspapers anymore for a variety of reasons, including that the Sports Sections suck.

4. I believe you are the one who brought up basketball coverage, not me. I merely responded that the Trib does a shitty job covering basketball AND football teams located in the State of Illinois.

5. I am guessing you pulled the empirical evidence supporting your point out of your ass too. The point is, the ND crowd at the Daley Center are NOT READING THE TRIBUNE, BUT THE SUN-TIMES, despite the Tribune's efforts all these years to be the SOUTHBEND TRIBUNE. Maybe if the Tribune focused on LOCAL teams in the State of Illinois, as even you suggest, it would not be in its current conundrum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:05 am 
1000 CLUB

This thread is unique in it active multi-facetedness. There is an ongoing active back and forth including

-Fight between board members
-Analysis of Northwestern football and attendance
-Discussion of Mud's beautiful family (with pics).
-Purdue/Iowa banter (which is common in most threads)
-Strong resentment

Usually threads go in different directions. You don't see multiple themes remaining alive throughout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:57 pm 

The more and more I review how NU played this past week, the more disappointed I am. This was arguably the most deceiving 27-0 victory in the history of NCAA football. Our defense had zero penetration on a O-line that was half our size. Open receivers in our secondary outnumbered the empty seats in the stadium (that is alot, by the way).

I'll be curious to see how we do against the Wolfpack this weekend. It will actually be a real test. Unfortunately I can't go (coaching the kids soccer game), but I'll have my radio with me.

Good luck to all you B10-ers out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:06 pm 

I just wanted to bump this one to note that ABC7 decided to show OSU-Purdue in Chicago and not ND-UCLA....hmmmmmm, maybe the talk of Chicago being an ND town is as overrated as Wisconsin being ranked 5th?