It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Anyone want to do a prediction thread ahead of this week's Big 10 games? I thought it would be fun.

Illinois -11 vs. Syracuse
Over/Under: 46
I think Illinois will cover. I didn't see last week's game, but I think a strong defense and an improving offense will break this game wide open. They just need to control the clock and use frickin' Mendenhall. I take the under.

Penn State -36 vs. Buffalo
Over/Under: ?
I don't think Penn State will cover. I have a hard time picking them to cover 36 points... Joe Pa is too much of a class act to run the score up too much. Morelli is coming into his own. No over/under on my source.

Purdue -17 vs. Central Mich
Over/Under: 62
I don't know Central Mich at all. I got to pick them to cover. Purdue is going to open it up. Painter will have a field day and his receivers will get some nice YACs. I pick the under as I assume Purdue D will not be so porrous to give up more than 17.

Iowa -17.5 vs. Iowa State
Over/Under:?
I'll reluctantly say the Hawkeyes cover. Despite Iowa State looking horrible (losing to Kent State and N. Iowa), I think its hard to quantify the "in state rival" factor. 17.5 is alot of points. I certainly think Hawkeyes are capable of destroying Iowa State, but it all depends which Iowa State shows up.

Michigan -7.5 vs. Notre Dame
Over/Under: 45
I'll say Michigan does not cover. I know Hart is guaranteeing a win, but its really up to Henne's backup, Ryan Mallet. It will be a battle of the frosh QBs (I think Clausen and Mallet were the most touted HS QB prospects), but I think Clausen's game experience will help ND keep it close. I still think Michigan wins, but by a field goal. I'll take the over since neither defense has shown me anything.

Michigan State -8 vs. Pittsburgh
Over/Under: 52
I say Michigan State covers and I'll take the under. Michigan State didn't look particularly good in their second game, but I believe Dantonio is a great coach. I think they will be well prepared for Pitt and take it to them. Full disclosure... I hate Pitt, and I always bet with my heart (to the detriment of my wallet).

Ohio State -5 vs. Washington
Over/Under: 45
Buckeyes cover and I'll take the under. I'll steal this from ESPN "The Buckeyes' defense forced befuddled Akron to punt 14 times, including after 12 consecutive three-and-out series, and beat the Zips 20-2". Buckeyes offense will get it in gear and wallop the Huskies. I know they beat the Boise St. darlings, but I didn't see anything on offense that should scare a Buckeye.

Indiana -10 vs. Akron
Over/Under: ?
I say Indiana covers. I love the Hoosier offense. James Hardy reminds me of Voodoo on NBC's FNL. He scares me. Go Hoosiers. Win one for the Rock. Zips looked pitiful against the Buckeyes. No reason to make me think they'll do anything on offense.

Northwestern -14.5 vs. Duke
I take the under (harsh on my own team). Despite a pathetic losing streak (only matched by NU's famous losing streak), the Dukies will keep it close due to a bad Cat's defenseive effort. NU will eek another one out, but only because Duke's defense is even worse than NU's.

Minnesota -8 vs. Fla Atlantic
I know hardly anything about either team. I'll guess that Minnesota doesn't cover... maybe Pinnix will show some of his magic, but not enough to make up for a bad D. Besides, Brewster is a twirp (don't hear that one alot anymore do you?).

Wisconsin vs. The Citadel
I can't find a gambling line on this. It is all over the place. I know nothing about The Citadel, but I think Wisco is the real deal. I think Wisco will win by 20 pts. Despite all the offense that The Citadel put up in its first two games, they have NOT met a defense like the Badgers have. PJ Hill will run all over these guys. It won't be another UNLV game.

Please offer your thoughts, updated lines, and usual mindless banter about how much I suck...

Last edited by My_name_1s_MUD on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 pm 

Michigan will cover riding Hart alone. I think you picked the under and over on the Purdue game. I would take Buffalo for the same reason. I would take Akron and I can not believe The Citadel is playing Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:47 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Anyone want to do a prediction thread ahead of this week's Big 10 games? I thought it would be fun.

Sure what the hey!

Syracuse absolutely sucks. That being said, Illinois had their troubles with subdivision WIU last weekend who had no business being in that game. Syracuse plays better at home than on the road and this number is at 12.5 with covers.com so I will take the 12.5 and Syracuse.

The Buffalo team that throttled Temple will return to earth in Happy Valley. Morelli and co have averaged 45 points a game and gave up 5 a game. Penn State covers the 34.5 number I see.

This number is up near 20.5 now. I still like Purdue. CMU is traditionally a bad ATS team against the Big Ten and Painter is on fire. He should put up a ton on a defense giving up nearly 42 a game.

This is Iowa State's Super Bowl, their BCS bowl. The drunk idiots in (L)ames, Iowa will be out and hooting and hollaring for anyway to Beat Iowa. Iowa wins this one, but ISU covers the 17.5 wood.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Both teams have struggled out of the gate. Michigan is a poor home favorite and in the series the dog is some ungodly 7-1 ATS in the last 8. I'll say Michigan wins by a TD and ND covers via the hook.

Michigan State -8 vs. Pittsburgh
Michigan State is a surprise to me this year. I did not expect them to play so inspired. This is Pitt's first road game and East lansing can be tough to play. The number has been pushed to 10.5 by alot of MSU buying. I'll go with the money and back MSU.

Washington has looked good this year, ending Boise's winning streak and absolutely creaming Syracuse. This is OSU's first test, traveling out west for this one. Washington will have trouble moving the ball against OSU and OSU should be able to run the ball against Washington. This will be low scoring and I'll go with the home dog Washington.

Indiana -10 vs. Akron
This one is 13 now. Indiana's offense should be too much for Akron to handle. Akron's win this year came against Army, one of the worst D1 teams and Indiana has found some balance on the offensive side of the ball. Indiana will cover.

This one is 16.5. After taking the gas pipe against UConn, Duke played inspired but bad football at Virginia. Their offense only has 225 yards of total offense and 1 turnover. They got 2 gifts from Virginia and did nothing with them. They were actually in the game until late the game. I see them covering the 16.5 this weekend in Evanston.

Spread opened at -10 and is now -8.5. Minnesota has had two MAC foes, lost to one and should have lost to the second. Florida Atlantic won their home opener against a weaker club and got throttled by OK State this past weekend. They seem to be able to stop the run effectively but haven't seen a power attack like Minnesota has which averages 277 yards per game. Minnesota to cover.

Wisconsin vs. The Citadel
No spread because Citadel is a 1-AA school. Wisconsin gets to tuneup for Iowa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm disapointed in you, Mud. :wink:

Are you coming to our tailgate? You can be the second CSFMB'er to experience the vision that is Mrs. NSJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:21 pm 

Is Mrs. NSJ one of the women in your avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:13 pm 

Note: These are not my predictions for the section in the wagering section as some of these games I wouldn't touch with Hawkeye Vince's money.

Minnesota to cover, but that's more of an indictment of Fla Atlantic. Minnesota will find the Big Ten season to be very long this year.

I really don't like this game to predict. I have a sneaking suspicion that the game will be close in the fourth quarter with NW pulling away. I have to pick NW to cover though as Duke sucks.

Indiana -10 vs. Akron
Indiana has to win this game to even think about a bowl. The offense is good enough to get it done but the last game they played was far from impressive. The offense will pull out to a couple touchdown lead in the first half and hold on for dear life. Indiana to cover.

OSU always scares people off by close wins vs. inferior opponents. Their style of play does not do well to blow teams out but it works against good opponents. OSU covers and wins by at least a touchdown.

Michigan State -8 vs. Pittsburg
Wannie doesn't get it done for Pitt. Michigan State has shown that they can run the ball well. Michigan State covers.

I don't know what to make of this game. All signs point to Michigan winning by a few scores based off of the play of Mike Hart. Notre Dame does not have the offensive talent to do what Michigan's first two opponents do. Michigan covers.

Iowa has had a good start to the season. Iowa State always gives Iowa fits. This will be no different. Iowa wins, but doesn't cover.

Purdue has a swagger to them that I haven't seen since Kyle Orton's senior year(the first 5 games at least). They put huge pressure on the opposing defense and these early season opponents don't have the talent to stop it. Purdue covers this easily and I would probably still pick them if they were a 27 point favorite.

This is a let down game for Penn State. The ND game was a pretty big game to get up for after the previous year's beat down by Charlie Weis and the domers. They control the game throughout but they don't cover the 36. Penn State wins, but doesn't cover.

The Illini have a (relatively) tough road test here. I don't think they will dominate the game but in the 4th quarter they will find a way to pull out a two touchdown lead. If this game is close, then the Juice Williams-McGee QB competition becomes a full blown QB controvery. The Illini cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

HappyHour Jason wrote:

No. I've never even dated Tyra Banks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

NSJ wrote:
HappyHour Jason wrote:

No. I've never even dated Tyra Banks.

Who's the other chick ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Katherine McPhee of American Idol fame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
C'mon BD and Badger Vince. Inspire us with your wisdom.