It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:47 am 

Here is a good article on bigten.org on the man who was Nile Kinnick, 1939 Heisman Trophy Winner.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 07aab.html

If you think of the time, it was World War II and his quotes were quite to the point:

"If you'll permit me," he said, "I'd like to make a comment which, in my mind, is indicative perhaps of the greater significance of football and sports emphasis in general in this country. And that is I thank God I was warring on the gridirons of the Midwest and not on the battlefields of Europe. I can speak confidently and positively that the players of this country would much more, much rather struggle and fight to win the Heisman award than the Croix de Guerre."

The team now shows a video of his speech before each home game and has him immortalized in a bronze statue where the team exits the buses into the stadium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:13 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
That's interesting. I'd be interested in a little tidbit of history from the various Big Ten schools.

Here's one from the Illini - the field at Memorial Stadium is actually called Zuppke Field. Here's some info on Zuppke. I didn't even realize he invented all of those things. I suppose it's hard to verify but I have read most of these things elsewhere as well -

Quote:
Bob Zuppke led the Fighting Illinois to four National Championships during his 29-year tenure.

Zuppke will always be known for having one of football's greatest minds. He invented the huddle, the flea-flicker, the screen pass, the pass-block, the long snap and a new defensive position now known as the 'linebacker.'

His creative mind nearly led to a career as an artist, but he chose to give football coaching a shot at the high school level in the early 1900s. His first year of coaching he won the state championship in Michigan and eventually took a job at Oak Park High School in Illinois where he built a national power and earned $2,000 per year (a hefty salary in those days). It was at Oak Park where he first implemented his famous flea-flicker pay.

In 1913, Illinois hired Zuppke as its head coach. Coming from his high school coaching background, Zuppke didn't believe in awarding scholarships to his football players. "The honor of playing for Illinois is payment enough," he said. During his 29 years with the Illini, he never once changed his stance on this belief.

Zuppke's teams were known for being small, but fast. His average player weighed less than 170 pounds. But, Zuppke's creative coaching and motivational tactics led to a very successful era on the gridiron.

Bob Zuppke found success quickly at Illinois. His second year there, in 1914, the Fighting Illini finished 7-0 and won a share of the national championship. Zuppke would win three more National Championships (1919, 1923 and 1927) during his reign at Illinois. His teams also won seven Western Conference (Big Ten) titles.

The Zuppke era was known for pulling off major upsets. The first came in 1916 with a 14-9 win over mighty Minnesota, a team that was favored to win by five touchdowns. In 1921, the Fighting Illini knocked off unbeaten Ohio State despite being winless in previous conference games. The 1939 win over heavily-favored Michigan is also considered to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the Western Conference.

While the Zuppke years at Illinois are often noted for the time during the 1920s when Red Grange wore his famous No. 77 jersey for the Illini, it is easy to forget all that Zuppke himself contributed to the program to make it a successful era.

Zuppke retired in 1941 with a career record of 131-81-13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Dyche stadium got its name when Rosie O'Donnell sat down in Evanston one day. The crater she left became the outline for the football field. Later named Ryan field after Ryan Seacrest I believe... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:33 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Dyche stadium got its name when Rosie O'Donnell sat down in Evanston one day. The crater she left became the outline for the football field. Later named Ryan field after Ryan Seacrest I believe... please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's DYKE you goof ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Red Grange reportedly told Zuppke he was not buying what Zuppke was selling when he turned pro early....Also, Zuppke's failure to award scholarships eventually put Illinois in a hole since Rockne was purportedly literally paying guys to play at ND.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:27 pm 

SI had a great story on Kinnick back in my yout. It may have even been written by Telander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:51 pm 

I'm somewhat biased since he was an Iowa Grad (and Iowa boy actually, from Adel, Iowa) but his story is certainly one that is impressive. Scholar first, athlete second. While going to Iowa, I took the time to read his published diary (which came out when I started going there). He was well written and quite insightful into the times during WWII. He certainly was an impressive young man who's light burned not long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:56 pm 

Ross Ade has no cool story. Two benefactors of the university. At least they don't have a corporate sponsorship(yet).