It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

1. OSU is 5-0, as expected.

2. OSU has two road wins against BCS opponents (Minnesota and Washington). Only 3 of the 15 other unbeatens can make that claim.

3. OSU smashed Washington on the road 33-7, scoring 30 in one half. USC edged by in the same conditions, 27-24.

4. OSU is #2 in total defense, behind only LSU.

5. OSU ranks 41st in total offense, but has played their 2nd and 3rd strings in 3 of their 5 games.

6. OSU has emerging weapons on offense in Brian Robiskie and Brian Hartline at WR, RB Beanie Wells, and a much more efficient Todd Boeckman at QB than they had with Craig Krenzel in 2002.

***OSU will test that ranking with a battle coming up against a 20th ranked Purdue ball club that is also undefeated. The game will be played on Saturday night on ABC in primetime under the lights, and it will be at Purdue. OSU has struggled with Purdue for the last 5 years, including a prayer 4th and 1 bomb to Michael Jenkins late in the game to steal the victory and create the path for a National title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I couldn't agree with you more, BD. dOSU's second and third string have gotten a ton of playing time. Tressle has been doing the classy thing by putting them in (expunging the pestilence that was the Cooper era).

But as you know, that class works against the Buckeyes in the rankings. It is a big BIG BCS flaw. Personally, I'd be content flying under the radar and then kicking some tail in the BCS championship. Now if everyone goes undefeated, that will be interesting. I guess you'll just have to beat Michigan by 75 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:59 am 

OSU is better than I thought they would be at the start of the season. I thought they would be towards the top of the conference but it is clear to this point that OSU is the class of the conference. Purdue has a chance to make a statement that they belong and this is just about the perfect scenario for them to do so. I'm on record predicting a Purdue victory in this game and I haven't changed that but I know that Purdue will have to play a great game on offense to pull it off.

The first five games that Purdue had will be nothing like this game. Purdue got up by three touchdowns in every game and then let the other team creep back in. I don't see Purdue going up 23-0 on OSU so the defense will have to keep up the intensity all game.

Curtis Painter can win the game by protecting the ball and being patient. The Purdue offensive system is able to exploit the defensive scheme of OSU better than most. I am not a defensive genius but it always seems to be a bad matchup for Tressel's style.

I think the Big Ten picture becomes a lot more clear after this weekend. Illinois and Purdue will either make big statements or show that the two best teams in the conference, OSU and Wisconsin, are battling it out for a BCS game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:08 am 

BD wrote:
2. OSU has two road wins against BCS opponents (Minnesota and Washington). Only 3 of the 15 other unbeatens can make that claim.

You can't be serious to hang your hat on a win against Minnesota. It'd be just as bad as winning at Iowa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

This is clearly OSU's toughest test so far. Washington was tough (as their dog fight with USC proved), but traveling to a Conference foe, at night, with the Conference lead and an unbeaten record on the line is huge. OSU's defense is the class of the nation, along with LSU's. Great news for OSU since they only have 1 senior starter on that defense. The unit should return largely intact next year, especially if Laurinitis and Freeman stay, as is being expected right now. That matchup (OSU D vs. Purdue O) is the one to watch. On the flip side, OSU's offense should have a decided advantage against Purdue's defense.

If OSU's defense can contain Painter and company, OSU should be able to leave with a win here, an undefeated record, and a possible extra move up in the rankings (since Florida battles LSU in a matchup that if held last week, would've featured #2 vs. #3). Go Gators!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
BD wrote:

You can't be serious to hang your hat on a win against Minnesota. It'd be just as bad as winning at Iowa.

Not hanging my hat on it, but just pointing out a factoid.