It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I thought Illinois looked great against Missouri. And with a back up QB, I thought they looked impressive. They lost that game, but as Mizzou whoops Nebraska, I think we all realize that Mizzou is a pretty darn good team. They are 5-0 and meeting #6 ranked Oklahoma next week.

Anyway, I just thought that we could easily be looking at a 5-0 Illini team right now if things had been a little different that game. And I think it is reasonable to think that there is a good chance that the team can be 10-2 at year end. Fun to see Illinois do well this year. I sure didn't see it coming.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 am 
1000 CLUB

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I thought Illinois looked great against Missouri. And with a back up QB, I thought they looked impressive. They lost that game, but as Mizzou whoops Nebraska, I think we all realize that Mizzou is a pretty darn good team. They are 5-0 and meeting #6 ranked Oklahoma next week.

Anyway, I just thought that we could easily be looking at a 5-0 Illini team right now if things had been a little different that game. And I think it is reasonable to think that there is a good chance that the team can be 10-2 at year end. Fun to see Illinois do well this year. I sure didn't see it coming.

It is fun to see. Good to finally have two Big 10 football powerhouses in our state!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
6-0, my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
NSJ wrote:
It is fun to see. Good to finally have two Big 10 football powerhouses in our state!

Qué? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 am 

I think he is alluding to the team in Evanston that has owned the Illini over the past decade. Maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:21 pm 

NSJ wrote:

Is Wisconsin still in Champaign? You'd think they'd have gone back to Madison already ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Is Wisconsin still in Champaign? You'd think they'd have gone back to Madison already ;-)

Ha!

fyi - Fox is predicting the Rose Bowl for the Illini and that NU and Cincinnati won't even make a bowl this year!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7312364

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 am 

Not so fast my freinds at FOX! 6 weeks to go and I hate to admit my prediction last Saturday was 31-24....... Illinois. They are always a pain in our ass.
Maybe the Badgers can turn Happy Valley sad this week!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 am 

NSJ wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Ha!

fyi - Fox is predicting the Rose Bowl for the Illini and that NU and Cincinnati won't even make a bowl this year!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7312364

What's funny is they make that comment on Cincinnati yet they have them in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
What's funny is they make that comment on Cincinnati yet they have them in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Same as going to no bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:02 am 

MJH will be proudly broadcasting from a remote in Downtown Detroit for the Motor City Bowl. Actually it will be Tiny Bubbles (I'll promise him Tequila), NSJ and I. Late night trip to Windsor, Canada for the ballet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:31 am 

NSJ wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Same as going to no bowl.

Ask any coach and they'd rather go to any bowl because they get an extra month of practice for the redshirts and younger guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah but the Meineke Car Care bowl not only has ZERO $ payout, they actually charge a participation fee and a fee to promote local travel to the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:37 am 

NSJ wrote:
Yeah but the Meineke Car Care bowl not only has ZERO $ payout, they actually charge a participation fee and a fee to promote local travel to the game.

Bowl payouts are distributed evenly between all 11 schools, so I guess the other teams would be paying your way in. Looks like Purdue is going to have to cancel the basketball stadium renovation. Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Bowl payouts are distributed evenly between all 11 schools, so I guess the other teams would be paying your way in. Looks like Purdue is going to have to cancel the basketball stadium renovation. Thanks a lot.

This would not impact Purdue Rick. Cincy is in the Big (L)east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:40 am 

NSJ wrote:

Where are you getting this info?

http://d1afootball.com/results/bowls/meineke.php

They have a 750K payout for this bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Since when? When did they leave the Big Ten? I guess I'm not the college football expert I think I am.

Seriously, I thought he was talking about Northwestern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Since when? When did they leave the Big Ten? I guess I'm not the college football expert I think I am.

Go back and sleep off the scarlet and gray hangover Rick - it's ok fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Where are you getting this info?

http://d1afootball.com/results/bowls/meineke.php

They have a 750K payout for this bowl.

damnit. I keep forgetting the :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:59 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:

The only cure for it will be a win over Michigan, which isn't going to happen.

The Purdue-Iowa game will be to save our season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NSJ wrote:

The only cure for it will be a win over Michigan, which isn't going to happen.

The Purdue-Iowa game will be to save our season.

Potentially 2 losses and you need to save your season!

Try being an Iowa fan this year. It's making Hayden cry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:47 am 

Purdue has been mediocre the previous two seasons. They need to be better than that this year and next year. What Iowa is going through now is the same thing that Purdue went through the previous two years.

This is where Purdue sees the light and the end of the tunnel. An 8-4 season will be very unfulfilling. 9-3 would be ok, and 10-2 shouldn't even be talked about at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Purdue has been mediocre the previous two seasons. They need to be better than that this year and next year. What Iowa is going through now is the same thing that Purdue went through the previous two years.

This is where Purdue sees the light and the end of the tunnel. An 8-4 season will be very unfulfilling. 9-3 would be ok, and 10-2 shouldn't even be talked about at this point.

At least Purdue made bowl games both years....Iowa will be lucky to be 4-8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

I hate self-depricating smack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Two years ago Purdue went 5-6 and didn't make a bowl game. They were actually 2-6 at one point in the season and won the last three games.

The parallels between the fall of Purdue and Iowa are very similar. Highly rated recruiting classes, attitude problems(specifically Kirsch and Tate), off the field issues, and a lack of team chemistry. The worst decision Joe Tiller ever made was to go star chasing and try and bring in all these athletic players. The best WR recruit we have ever had is Selwyn Lymon, and he is currently our fourth option.

Iowa will get back to how they got there and right the ship because Ferentz has a formula that works. Joe Tiller may do the same but this is the season to show it. Hopefully Iowa fans give him the chance as it won't be an overnight fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Two years ago Purdue went 5-6 and didn't make a bowl game. They were actually 2-6 at one point in the season and won the last three games.

The parallels between the fall of Purdue and Iowa are very similar. Highly rated recruiting classes, attitude problems(specifically Kirsch and Tate), off the field issues, and a lack of team chemistry. The worst decision Joe Tiller ever made was to go star chasing and try and bring in all these athletic players. The best WR recruit we have ever had is Selwyn Lymon, and he is currently our fourth option.

Iowa will get back to how they got there and right the ship because Ferentz has a formula that works. Joe Tiller may do the same but this is the season to show it. Hopefully Iowa fans give him the chance as it won't be an overnight fix.

What's wonderful is Drew Tate is all over the Iowa papers this week being interviewed about what's wrong with Iowa and basically saying the highly recruited players aren't trying to be better - they think they are. He took a few shots at the OC, but nothing too shocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:25 pm 

Purdue finally started to right the ship when they benched Brandon Kirsch and his attitude and went with a young guy. They didn't make a bowl that year but it lead us to this year. Iowa did something similar, even though graduation helped with that.

A QB can kill a college team, and both of these players did that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:29 pm 

Quote:

I have a varsity letter in self-depricating smack... as well as imbedding spinny wildcat head .gifs

Last edited by My_name_1s_MUD on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:31 pm 

NSJ wrote:

Purdue and Iowa are so bad, they actually know that Northwestern is on the schedule this year.

(Self depriciating smack is awesome)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:37 pm 

NSJ wrote:

Are you a Cub Fan?