It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
On a serious note, I have heard of no real reason or evidence to believe that Zook is cheating. At best I have heard idle speculation that there is no other reason that someone would play football in Champaign which I think is insulting to the University, which is world-class.

Illinois has in fact had very good football teams and players in the past. Many fine football players have played for the Illini and gone on to successful professional careers in the post-Mike White era. Simeon Rice, Jeff George, Howard Griffith, John Holocek, Kevin Hardy, Eugene Wilson, Dave Diehl, Kelvin Hayden and many others.

So, I see no reason to sully a solid season by Illinois with accusations that they must be cheating. The big-time out of state recruits have been mainly from the DC and Florida areas where Mike Locksley and Ron Zook have direct ties.

In any case, the selling point of being the state school for Chicago newspapers also has an impact as the Illini basketball coverage during their run proved. Illinois has many advantages and Zook and staff are adept at highlighting them and the system they run. He told them they'd play if they came to Illinois and they have. The starters are littered with Freshmen and Sophomores.

So, until someone actually has some proof that there has been some wrong-doing, I see no reason why I or any other Illini fan should tolerate implications of impropriety.

Well said Doc :salut: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think that all other Big Ten fans should be rooting for Michigan to win this weekend. I would be surprised if OSU didn't get a BCS invite to the Rose Bowl as long as they were eligible. Then everyone else moves up.

I don't see how this helps really. Do you think even with two losses, OSU would get a BCS Bowl? I'm not so sure on that. I would even guess they fall out of the top 12 where they could get picked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
My point is just that many Iowa Hawkeye fans seem to think that it is a no brainer to choose between Purdue and Iowa. This hasn't been the case in the past and I would be surprised if it happened this year.

I'm a realist - this team has 3 wins against some of the worst teams in the nation - Syracuse, NIU, Minnesota. They do have 3 wins versus bowl eligible teams but at the end of the day - they are a young team who's getting better as the season has went on. Whether they go over Purdue or not, I just want to see them get to 7 wins go to a bowl, The extra month of practice will help them immensely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:18 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think that all other Big Ten fans should be rooting for Michigan to win this weekend. I would be surprised if OSU didn't get a BCS invite to the Rose Bowl as long as they were eligible. Then everyone else moves up.

I don't see how this helps really. Do you think even with two losses, OSU would get a BCS Bowl? I'm not so sure on that. I would even guess they fall out of the top 12 where they could get picked.

It's the best and only chance we have. Honestly, I would rather have OSU win since I like them better than Michigan but the Big Ten has to have one representative in the BCS. Ohio State is the highest still so they have a chance to lose and stay eligible. I agree it is a long shot but the Rose Bowl would love to have a Big Ten team. It would take some more upsets and maybe a loss or two in championship games.

Also, I believe that with the addition of the 5th BCS bowl game they moved that number up to top 14 is needed to qualify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
It appears Coach Zook has it a nerve in Madison! I'd be concerned too if I were a Brett Bielema or a Badger fan as the Illini are a year ahead of schedule and Zook is not going to let the rest of the Big 10 and ND walk in and take all the good Illinois recruits without a fight.

If you have to go all the way back to Mike White to make a claim about Zook, you are really stretching it. I will say this though, Mike White brought Big 10 football out of the Woody and Bo "3 yards and a cloud of dust" boredom by introducing a novel concept called "the wide open passing game" into the conference (who cares what transcripts David Wilson had to use to get into school!).

I personally love Wisconsin fans. Aside from the Northwestern of yore, Wisconsin was amongst the biggest of the Big 10 bottom feeders for eons until Barry Alvarez showed up and Wisky got good. Hmmm, I wonder how that happened? Hmmm. Please tell me Barry did not cheat to get kids up to Madison and bring Wisconsin up to respectability.

Throw in Barry's kid cookin' a parrot in a microwave, Barry's alleged cheerleader issues and Wisky players' brushes with the law (isn't there a kid who could not leave the state to play road games and a CB who goes on trial this summer for stealing, what, shoes? We will exclude the players that beat people up, as that happens everywhere) and I do not know why any anonymous glass house living Badger fans would be throwing stones on the internet....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:11 pm 

Same could be said for Iowa pre-Hayden years but no one ever says Hayden cheated....this is where Barry learned from

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:22 pm 

You guys should start rooting for Purdue. The way Joe Tiller recruits, no one will accuse him of cheating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Same could be said for Iowa pre-Hayden years but no one ever says Hayden cheated....this is where Barry learned from

Alvarez was also DC at ND under Holtz. Read all the negative implications you want into that fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 am 

Peter Puck wrote:

I personally love Wisconsin fans. Aside from the Northwestern of yore, Wisconsin was amongst the biggest of the Big 10 bottom feeders for eons until Barry Alvarez showed up and Wisky got good. Hmmm, I wonder how that happened? Hmmm. Please tell me Barry did not cheat to get kids up to Madison and bring Wisconsin up to respectability.

I distinctly remember going to a NU v. Wisconsin game in the late 80's. My friends and I each paid the person taking tickets $5 to let us in. We could sit anywhere we chose for the big game between bottom dwellers. I also remember a smoking hot Wisconsin cheerleader but that is a story for a different day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:20 am 

My comments on the Ron Zook era to date has more to do with actual conversations I have had with Illini players than blanket accusations of intersesting recruiting. There seems to be some unrest and concern downstate and that is nowhere near Madison.
I'm happy that other Big Ten schools are getting better and more competitive as this will give more strenght to the conference as a whole. The days of the Big 2, Little 8 (9) need to stay in the past as I'm tired of hearing how bad the Big Ten conference is compared to others. We can beat the hell out of each other like the SEC and never get the respect of a strong overall conference. So bring on the competition, let's just make sure that we are all on the same level playing field!