It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
President Harry Bienen announced that he will resign in August 2009. He was the one who was a staunch defender of Bill Carmody. Although during Bienen's tenure, we've had some wonderfully competitive teams, I think this was despite Bienen's efforts, not because of them. I'm hoping the new President will understand the importance of athletics in building the Northwestern community and alumni base. One can only hope.

NU hired a new athletic director, Dr. Jim Phillips. Phillips was most recently the NIU Athletic Director and prior to that the Associate AD at Notre Dame. I certainly will miss our old AD, but I think Phillips has some experience at NIU and ND that can translate well to the Northwestern culture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:38 pm 

Carmody is now Lickliter's bitch :lol:

He should resign though the AD is already on record saying he's not going to be looking to fire any coaches now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Carmody is now Lickliter's bitch :lol:

He should resign though the AD is already on record saying he's not going to be looking to fire any coaches now.

Lame Duck Bienen told the media he didn't think Carmody was going anywhere. In a related story, some of the Wildcat Marketing Dept. thugs are considering revisiting Gary Barnett era Marketing Slogan "Expect Victory"... except they are changing it slightly to match the reality of the situation with "Expect Mediocrity"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 pm 

My guess - he gets 2008 to prove himself and if they are near the bottom of the Big 11 again, Phillips will look to bring in his own guy - though his hiring of Ricardo patton at NIU shouldn't get you all excited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:37 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
NU hired a new athletic director, Dr. Jim Phillips. Phillips was most recently the NIU Athletic Director and prior to that the Associate AD at Notre Dame. I certainly will miss our old AD, but I think Phillips has some experience at NIU and ND that can translate well to the Northwestern culture.

You are getting a very good athletic director. NIU offered him a lot to stay (matched NU's offer) but i know he's been preparing himself to take over the U of I job after RG leaves Champaign. Working at NU for a few years before going to U of I will probably help prepare him for what can be realized in the Big 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:41 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
My guess - he gets 2008 to prove himself and if they are near the bottom of the Big 11 again, Phillips will look to bring in his own guy - though his hiring of Ricardo patton at NIU shouldn't get you all excited.

I like Patton a lot and i think he was a good hire. Colorado basketball had virtually no history before Patton arrived. Most of their basketball success is because of Patton. Besides, Colorado is a football school and not even much at that. How well can you recruit in basketball in a state with no talent or much interest in basketball?

Patton has a lot to work with at NIU. Top-notch facilities (better than UIC, CSU, SIU, NU, WIU, and EIU), Chicago players in our own backyard, and the Chicago media ready to jump on a good program. We've already had that success in football, it is only a matter of time before that potential is realized in NIU Basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:19 pm 

NIU Huskie.... i thought you might get a kick out of this....

http://media.www.dailynorthwestern.com/media/storage/paper853/news/2008/04/15/Campus/New-A.d.Promises.Success-3325492-page3.shtml