It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DePaul Misery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Let me say that I am a LONG TIME DePaul guy. Even before thoughts of college permeated my head, watching Mark Aguirre and TC, The Dolph, Skip Money, Teddy Grubbs and on and on, made DePaul the king of College Basketball in my mind.

Since then they have gradually declined to being blown out by Northwestern and losing t0 Tracy Morgan State!

As I dont live in Lincoln Park anymore and dont attend school, I am not sure what else they can do to create a facility on campus for games.

Maybe someone from DPU would read this and let it be the catalyst for another one of my free ideas.

Build a new Alumni Hall, using the ENTIRE Block of Sheff.Webster.Seminary, Belden, or even taking Belden over. Yes, you need to move the church, or buy the one on Armitage from the Baptist Church, it is falling apart, no heat etc.

The kicker is, put dorm suites in the upper deck. Yes, dorm rooms in the arena! Students open the glass doors to immediate skybox like facilities! Get some national fame, students at games and get the entire neighborhood back behind you.

Post subject: Re: DePaul Misery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
bigfan wrote:
The kicker is, put dorm suites in the upper deck. Yes, dorm rooms in the arena! Students open the glass doors to immediate skybox like facilities! Get some national fame, students at games and get the entire neighborhood back behind you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre

Wikipedia wrote:
The stadium's inward-looking hotel rooms have regular two-way windows, yielding instances of what some could consider indecent exposure. When SkyDome first opened, a couple engaging in sexual intercourse was televised on the scoreboard Jumbotron during a baseball game. Days later, a man was caught masturbating during a game in full view of the packed stands. The man, later tracked down by a Sports Illustrated reporter, calmly said, "I thought they were one-way windows." Patrons now have to sign contracts stipulating that they will not perform any lewd acts within view of the stadium.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
BigFan, a wonderful way to solve your misery is to adopt a new school.

I share in your pain. Ponsetto made it clear that DePaul was not going to sacrifice education for athletics. Doug Bruno and the woman's team is doing well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Also, DePaul just invested A LOT of money in several new facilities along Sheffield and Belden. Now my sources tell me that attendance has dropped off considerably the past two years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 pm 

I have been fan of DePaul basketball for almost 50 yrs and Sat's dismal performance was the lowest I have ever seen.They have no home court,decent facilities and dorm in a conference way over their heads.I am tired of reading about 40 million for a greenhouse on campus and a nickel to hire a coach.Drop to a division 3 fine don't pretend to field a divion 1 school.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
How bad is the DePaul men's basketball program right now? The Blue Demons have no business in the Big East Conference for starters! :x They play the bulk of their home games in Rosemont at Allstate Arena, and should play them a lot closer to their campus. Many other Big East schools actually have an on-campus arena to play their home games such as Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh & St. John's to name a few. There are a lot of empty seats at DePaul home games out there, and the formerly named Horizon usually seats about 18,000 for basketball...Unless you want to hear Zach Zaidman & Laurence Holmes call their games on 670 "The SCORE" or on DePaul's Web site, good luck trying to find a DePaul game on TV! I'm old enough to remember a time when WGN actually broadcast the Blue Demons coast-to-coast. These days, unless you want to pay for ESPN's Full Court PPV, WWME 23 "Me TV" airs only a fraction of the DePaul games via ESPN Regional Television. I think they're also losing out miserably on recruiting. What was once a proud basketball program is anything but now...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
DePaul was the first favorite team I had when I was growing up. I remember going to tons of games with my parents. I was so young I didn't even know that when the players were being announced, they were also announcing which high school they went to. For the longest time I though a bunch of their players lived in house called "Westing." Saw tons of good games against G-Town, Louisville, ND, and St. John's. I miss those games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 pm 

Who is this "DePaul"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm 

They could be a player in the Big east - but as mentioned earlier, the academics would suffer - but if georgetown can do it and be a better school on the whole, then Depaul can as well.

If they don't then a move to another conference would be better. The one that comes to mind is the Atlantic 10 - it has similar size schools, old foes such as Xavier and Dayton, and would help the conference as they have St.Louis as the western most team. The issue is that there are 14 teams in the A 10 - and is unruly at that size. Still, they would give up St. Boneventure, Duquense or LaSalle for the Chicago market and Depaul.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 pm 

The move to the Big East Conference appears to be one of the worst things ever to happen to DePaul athletics. While it does keep a classic rivalry between Notre Dame & DePaul, for instance, money was a big reason why the school switched from Conference USA to the Big East. Besides, C-USA wanted to be a big football player, and we all know they've never had a football team on Belden Ave. The bottom line...DePaul is in way over their head in the Big East, and should be in a conference that makes a lot more sense to them regionally. I think DePaul should be in the Horizon League, where two other schools that also don't get the time of day, Loyola & UIC, play basketball & could be natural rivals for those guys in Lincoln Park.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
DePaul has so many alums...the Mayor included....that this arena should be a no-brainer...Too bad there don't seem to be many brains that care about an arena.......
Last I looked, Cabrini Green pretty much doesn't exist...there will be plenty of land once that building at Division and Halsted goes down...How about the Finkl Steel Plant that is moving out of the west Lincoln Park neighborhood?....They could put up a place there with plenty of parking and have a ton of land left over for a park...
DePaul didn't come close to selling out the Rosemont Hangar for Notre Dame....THEY ARE IN THE BIG EAST....THAT IS A GREAT CONFERENCE THAT NO ONE HERE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT.
Where are DePaul's players coming from and who can name any?
Anybody talking up ACADEMICS as a reason for DePaul swirling in the Big East toilet is full of bullshit.
DUKE, NOTRE DAME, WAKE FOREST, STANFORD.....the list goes on and on...REAL ACADEMIC SCHOOLS THAT COMPETE NATIONALLY!
DePaul obviously doesn't give a damn about returning to the Big Time and is quite comfortable with the status quo which would indicate the HORIZON LEAGUE is where they belong.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 am 

didea wrote:
They could be a player in the Big east - but as mentioned earlier, the academics would suffer - but if georgetown can do it and be a better school on the whole, then Depaul can as well.

If they don't then a move to another conference would be better. The one that comes to mind is the Atlantic 10 - it has similar size schools, old foes such as Xavier and Dayton, and would help the conference as they have St.Louis as the western most team. The issue is that there are 14 teams in the A 10 - and is unruly at that size. Still, they would give up St. Boneventure, Duquense or LaSalle for the Chicago market and Depaul.

There is NO Chicago Market for College BASKETBALL.
If DePaul can't sell 10,000 seats for Notre Dame, who besides alums of places like Xavier and Dayton are going to go to Rosemont?
SOMEBODY SHOULD TELL DEPAUL THAT LINCOLN PARK IS A LOT COOLER THAN ARLINGTON HEIGHTS AND MT. PROSPECT!!!!!!

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 am 

SHARK wrote:
The move to the Big East Conference appears to be one of the worst things ever to happen to DePaul athletics. While it does keep a classic rivalry between Notre Dame & DePaul, for instance, money was a big reason why the school switched from Conference USA to the Big East. Besides, C-USA wanted to be a big football player, and we all know they've never had a football team on Belden Ave. The bottom line...DePaul is in way over their head in the Big East, and should be in a conference that makes a lot more sense to them regionally. I think DePaul should be in the Horizon League, where two other schools that also don't get the time of day, Loyola & UIC, play basketball & could be natural rivals for those guys in Lincoln Park.

The move to the Big East was a godsend for DePaul that DePaul has squandered with their amateurish approach to athletics.
DePaul at one time had their games televised nationwide on WGN....
DePaul has screwed DePaul.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
didea wrote:

If DePaul can't sell 10,000 seats for Notre Dame, who besides alums of places like Xavier and Dayton are going to go to Rosemont?
SOMEBODY SHOULD TELL DEPAUL THAT LINCOLN PARK IS A LOT COOLER THAN ARLINGTON HEIGHTS AND MT. PROSPECT!!!!!!

DePaul is still mostly a commuter college, right? Are there any commuter colleges that do well in college basketball? Of the people that I know who went to DePaul, exactly zero care whatsoever about DePaul athletics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:07 pm 

I imagine Memphis is a commuter school, probably Cincinnatti as well.

Just taking the Big East

St. John's is the school most comparable to De Paul. Their hard times have not been as bad as De Paul's but they really have not had too many glory years in the past 2 decades.

Still, there is absolutely no reason De Paul should not be as good as Marquette.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:00 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Still, there is absolutely no reason De Paul should not be as good as Marquette.

Let's see how the next few years are for Marquette, once crean's guys are gone and how the new guy can or can't recruit. That's been the 1 Up on Depaul for Marquette for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 am 

SHARK wrote:

Agreed; however, DePaul will ride the Big East publicity for as long as they can until they are given the boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:47 am 

DePaul has so many alums...the Mayor included....that this arena should be a no-brainer...Too bad there don't seem to be many brains that care about an arena.......
Last I looked, Cabrini Green pretty much doesn't exist...there will be plenty of land once that building at Division and Halsted goes down...How about the Finkl Steel Plant that is moving out of the west Lincoln Park neighborhood?....They could put up a place there with plenty of parking and have a ton of land left over for a park...
DePaul didn't come close to selling out the Rosemont Hangar for Notre Dame....THEY ARE IN THE BIG EAST....THAT IS A GREAT CONFERENCE THAT NO ONE HERE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT.
Where are DePaul's players coming from and who can name any?
Anybody talking up ACADEMICS as a reason for DePaul swirling in the Big East toilet is full of bullshit.
DUKE, NOTRE DAME, WAKE FOREST, STANFORD.....the list goes on and on...REAL ACADEMIC SCHOOLS THAT COMPETE NATIONALLY!
DePaul obviously doesn't give a damn about returning to the Big Time and is quite comfortable with the status quo which would indicate the HORIZON LEAGUE is where they belong.

DePaul attempted to get in on land near Division and Halsted, but the price of the land was way out of their range. The neighborhood also could likely not handle traffic and such in the area given the limited infrastructure. Dont worry though, DePaul will last a few more years in the Big East before they are booted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 am 

didea wrote:

Its more then just academics, its also money and scholarships I am sure. I dont agree at all that there is no market for college b-ball. If DePaul was going to the big dance at least every other year or so, you would be certain to have 12,000 fans in Rosemont. They also cannot build in Lincoln Park because there is no space and the community does not want another stadium down there. They already deal with enough crap from Wrigley.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:52 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
didea wrote:

DePaul is still mostly a commuter college, right? Are there any commuter colleges that do well in college basketball? Of the people that I know who went to DePaul, exactly zero care whatsoever about DePaul athletics.

Yes, they are a huge commuter school. I would care more if they could field a team that could at least compete in the Big East.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 pm 

I see DePaul is losing yet again...to South Florida?! They've yet to win a game this season in the rugged Big East and likely won't qualify for the Big East Tournament again this March in New York for the second year in a row. What the hell are they waiting for? Jerry Wainwright has to go as head coach, and the conference powers need to get this once proud basketball program out of the league once & for all! This is as embarrassing as the Chicago Bulls, if not worse! :x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I see DePaul is losing yet again...to South Florida?! They've yet to win a game this season in the rugged Big East and likely won't qualify for the Big East Tournament again this March in New York for the second year in a row. What the hell are they waiting for? Jerry Wainwright has to go as head coach, and the conference powers need to get this once proud basketball program out of the league once & for all! This is as embarrassing as the Chicago Bulls, if not worse! :x

Hey Shark everyone qualifies for the Big East tourney now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 am 

What I am curious about is the direction the new President of DePaul wants to take with the athletics program. If you are extremely bored, as many of you may be, you can read his 2012 vision:

http://president.depaul.edu/Downloads/VISIONtwenty12Brochure.pdf

Now, I fully realize that its not the direct job of the President to address athletics, but nowhere in that vision plan do I see the words athletics, sports or basketball. If you wanted to, you can make the assumption that it tells a lot about what he feels in terms of athletics. In my opinion, it will take more then just a new coach to make this team competitive in the Big East, and that direction needs to start from the top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Hey Shark everyone qualifies for the Big East tourney now.

No they don't...The bottom two teams for sure don't get invited... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm 

SHARK wrote:
No they don't...The bottom two teams for sure don't get invited... :(

Unless the Big East now has more than 16 teams then you are wrong.

http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19400&ATCLID=1305848

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 pm 

SHARK cannot be wrong! YOU are wrong for telling him he's wrong!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm 

spanky wrote:

Spanky and everyone else in this board, I'm reasonably sure about this one. DePaul would NOT qualify for the Big East Tournament if they keep losing like this...They're 0-for-the Big East, and they suck just like the Chicago Bulls! End of story... :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm 

I am more than reasonbly sure about this: The Big East made a new rule this year that all 16 teams get in the conference tourney. Unlike previous years where the bottom 4 did not qualify.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:49 pm 

spanky wrote:
I am more than reasonbly sure about this: The Big East made a new rule this year that all 16 teams get in the conference tourney. Unlike previous years where the bottom 4 did not qualify.

Spanky, it doesn't seem right if that's the case...The Big East is loaded with really good basketball teams again this season, and DePaul is NOT one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:49 pm 

SHARK wrote:
spanky wrote:

Spanky and everyone else in this board, I'm reasonably sure about this one. DePaul would NOT qualify for the Big East Tournament if they keep losing like this...They're 0-for-the Big East, and they suck just like the Chicago Bulls! End of story... :x

No matter how much you think you are right, it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

All 16 teams make the Big East tournament this year. I wager my board reputation on this fact.