It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
So, they are now a 10 - 0 college basketball team playing in the state of Illinois. The school is less than an hour and a half away from Chicago. They played last night (and won obviously) but did they get mentioned on the ABC sports coverage Mr. Giangreco (sp?)? NO Did I hear anything about them this morning on the updates I listened to coming into work this morning (on ESPN and WSCR)? NO

Where's the love? I heard about Southern (who played Northern), DePaul and UIC but not a peep about the Redbirds. Total BS!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

Iowa State sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:58 pm 

Darren - Tinley Park wrote:
Where's the love? I heard about Southern (who played Northern), DePaul and UIC but not a peep about the Redbirds. Total BS!

Hell, then I consider myself lucky. I don't want to hear about any Illinois college basketball. Ever. Or at least until NU actually gets in the NCAA's, or DePaul matters.

Whichever comes first, if ever :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:02 pm 

They have played absolute dog shit so far.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Iowa State sucks.

I swear I was going to post that very thing I first time I saw the title...but I was too lazy...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Iowa State sucks.

You've become predictable Vince as I was expecting that exact quote from you. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I don't know that they've played anybody yet, Darren...but I agree with you that even if they did, I'm not sure they'd get the press...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Darren I was thinking the same thing the other day, I wrote an e-mail to that Luke Wynn
guy who does the College Basketball report asking about why no love for Illinois St. I
realize that they have played a very weak preseason thus far. That isn't helping them
at all. Also, from what I can tell the MVC is likely headed for a down season this
year. We don't have those one or two teams in the top 25. ISU is going to have to
prove themselves when conference play starts. I definitely think they have a good
squad with Eldridge and that transfer from Oregon Oguchi playing well and filling it up.
When you play cupcakes in the preseason the pollsters can see right through that.
If we can post a few wins against SIU, or some of the other better teams in the
conference we can maybe reach the heights of last year and maybe with some luck
even better. They should win 25 games this year but whether that is enough to
make the NCAA as an at large, I am not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 am 

conns7901 wrote:
They have played absolute dog shit so far.

That may be true Conns, but they still deserve some coverage here based on their proximity to Chicago. Hell, Notre Dame gets 100X more coverage and their not even in this state (yeah, yeah I know, the Chicago area is a large alumnus group for ND).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:35 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Iowa State sucks.

You've become predictable Vince as I was expecting that exact quote from you. :P

I was going to throw you for a loop with Indiana State Sucks but went against it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Bloomington-Normal.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 am 

Iowa anything sucks!
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Iowa State sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 pm 

I know there are a few Illinois State alums that frequent the board
so thought I would toss this out there. ISU plays Niagara tonight in
the ESPN Bracketbusters game. The game starts at 6pm and will be
telecast on ESPN2. This is a team that got off to a great start but
has been a bit up and down on the road this year. This is a must
win if ISU wants any shot at an at large bid to the NCAA. It may
still be a longshot if they win but makes it virtually impossible if
they lose. It should be a pretty good game as both teams have
over 20 wins this season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Unfortunately, there's little love for Illinois State basketball for a couple of reasons. First, there's not enough time for the Mark Giangrecos, Dan Roans, Corey McPherrins & Ryan Bakers of this world to fit their highlights into a 3 minute sportscast on the late news. Second, the Redbirds are based in Bloomington/Normal, which isn't exactly right next door to me. There's just not enough time in the day to air any highlights of Illinois State hoops, despite their solid record. You'll be lucky to find ANY highlights on "ESPN SportsCenter" or ESPNEWS, DIRECTV 207, for that matter... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:36 pm 

I realize this but since they are playing decent ball it is just too bad they don't
get a little more recognition. Dan Roan should know better since he is an ISU
alum. :) Just wanted people out there to know as the Redbirds don't get
a lot of national TV exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Unfortunately, there's little love for Illinois State basketball for a couple of reasons. First, there's not enough time for the Mark Giangrecos, Dan Roans, Corey McPherrins & Ryan Bakers of this world to fit their highlights into a 3 minute sportscast on the late news. Second, the Redbirds are based in Bloomington/Normal, which isn't exactly right next door to me. There's just not enough time in the day to air any highlights of Illinois State hoops, despite their solid record. You'll be lucky to find ANY highlights on "ESPN SportsCenter" or ESPNEWS, DIRECTV 207, for that matter... :(

I didn't realize places like Notre Dame and U of I were right next store to get all the local air time. :roll:

Based on the Illini's weak attempt against Penn State at home, some may argue that the Redbirds are the best team in the state. I'm not one of them even though I'm one of those ISU alums that T-Bone mentioned, but I know the talk is out there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 pm 

SHARK wrote:

I didn't realize places like Notre Dame and U of I were right next store to get all the local air time. :roll:

Based on the Illini's weak attempt against Penn State at home, some may argue that the Redbirds are the best team in the state. I'm not one of them even though I'm one of those ISU alums that T-Bone mentioned, but I know the talk is out there.
Notre Dame & Illinois have alumni here in Chicago, Darren, which explains in large part why they get highlights in football & basketball on Chicago sportscasts & not Illinois State. Unless they raise some eyebrows in their upcoming MVC Tournament at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, or if you & I spend our hard earned $$$$ to purchase the ESPN Full Court PPV, good luck trying to find Redbird highlights...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 pm 

After last night's results, I'm glad the game wasn't on in the hospital.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
After last night's results, I'm glad the game wasn't on in the hospital.

They did do well closing the gap, but twenty points was too much of a buffer zone. I do hope that ISU represents the Valley well during the tourney -- it will be the first time in a LONG time that my Salukis won't be there :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

ISU won't be in the tourney unless they win the Valley tournament, and Creighton will be very difficult to beat the way they are playing. Nice season for ISU though. I like the team and the coach a lot. Perhaps next year, he will consider playing somebody in the top 100 before Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
ISU won't be in the tourney unless they win the Valley tournament, and Creighton will be very difficult to beat the way they are playing. Nice season for ISU though. I like the team and the coach a lot. Perhaps next year, he will consider playing somebody in the top 100 before Christmas.

I don't know if they'll get an invitation to the NIT if they don't win the MVC tournament next weekend at the Scotttrade Center in St. Louis. Who have the Redbirds played?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
WHENNER YOUSE GUYS GONNA TALK ABOUT DA SALUKIS! DEY'RE AN ELLINOIS TEAM! MURPH WENT THERE!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 am 

Coast2Coast wrote:

Have to agree with you here Coast. They finally fell back to the field after beating up on
some pretty average competition early in the season. I really hope they can schedule some
stiffer competition early next year. I have a lot of faith in the coach and hopefully he can
bring in some more of "his guys" to the system. He has an impressive pedigree and hopefully
they can keep him around for a while. Seems like whenever they have a good coach like
Kevin Stallings was, they always bolt for greener pastures. Don't blame them of course, but
just disappointing for fans of the team that was being built up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:20 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Coast2Coast wrote:

Have to agree with you here Coast. They finally fell back to the field after beating up on
some pretty average competition early in the season. I really hope they can schedule some
stiffer competition early next year. I have a lot of faith in the coach and hopefully he can
bring in some more of "his guys" to the system. He has an impressive pedigree and hopefully
they can keep him around for a while. Seems like whenever they have a good coach like
Kevin Stallings was, they always bolt for greener pastures. Don't blame them of course, but
just disappointing for fans of the team that was being built up.

:evil: Oh so close. I did like the thumping they put on Creighton though. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 pm 

Darren, they were just like the Bears in January. Win and they
were in the big dance. Frustrating game to watch considering
they were down double digits, came back to lead by 4 late and
then lose in overtime after a missed layup. They have a young
team, an up and coming coach, and hopefully some nice recruits
coming in. I wouldn't be surprised if they get invited to the NIT
again this year but it just would have been nice to see them make
the NCAAs. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 pm 

The problem with Illinois State basketball is who have they played of significance? Yeah, they & Northern Iowa went to overtime in the MVC Tournament Final, but a lack of non-conference schedule will hurt the Redbirds come "Selection Sunday", and they may not even get an invite to the NIT either. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

Tell me about it. Although I think making the NIT is a lock. Their RPI is pretty decent. I hope some of the recruits coming in have a little size. They need players taller than 6' 9".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:26 pm 

SHARK wrote:
The problem with Illinois State basketball is who have they played of significance? Yeah, they & Northern Iowa went to overtime in the MVC Tournament Final, but a lack of non-conference schedule will hurt the Redbirds come "Selection Sunday", and they may not even get an invite to the NIT either. :(

I certainly don't think they have a chance in hell of going to the NCAAs. They missed their shot
yesterday afternoon. The fact that Northern Iowa and very possibly Creighton get into the big
dance that would leave ISU looking at the NIT with almost the same record as last year when they
went. Big non conference wins? None to speak of but their thrashing of Creighton in the semis
and making the finals of the MVC tourney should be enough for an NIT berth. If they don't make it,
that is ok with me since no one cares about the NIT anyway, but they should definitely be
considered for the field.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I certainly don't think they have a chance in hell of going to the NCAAs. They missed their shot
yesterday afternoon. The fact that Northern Iowa and very possibly Creighton get into the big
dance that would leave ISU looking at the NIT with almost the same record as last year when they
went. Big non conference wins? None to speak of but their thrashing of Creighton in the semis
and making the finals of the MVC tourney should be enough for an NIT berth. If they don't make it,
that is ok with me since no one cares about the NIT anyway, but they should definitely be
considered for the field.
The Redbirds' NCAA tournament bubble burst yesterday, T-Bone...No question about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

Tell me about it. Although I think making the NIT is a lock. Their RPI is pretty decent. I hope some of the recruits coming in have a little size. They need players taller than 6' 9".

Agreed, Jankovich needs some size. Give him a little time to mine the Chicagoland area.
You don't need a huge lineup to play well in the MVC but if you had a couple big guys
you could compete nationally. Here is what is shows him pulling in for 2009. They are
only losing 4 seniors and assuming Eldridge comes back they could have a promising lineup.

2009 Player Commits
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE STATUS NOTES
Terry Johnson, Jr. Point Guard 6-0 North Lawndale College Prep H.S. (IL) PG #24 88 Signed
Justin Clark Shooting Guard 6-4 190 William Chrisman H.S. (MO) SG #61 87 Signed
Zeke Upshaw Small Forward 6-6 196 Chicago University H.S. (IL) SF #75 85 Signed
Jon Ekey Small Forward 6-7 180 William Chrisman H.S. (MO) SF #97 82 Signed