It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Great coach, can recruit the shit out of chicago! Did it for New Trier! Has connections!

Great guy! Great Pizza!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
BigFan, is he coaching in the college ranks right now? I'm not sure even Digger Phelps can get this DePaul program back on track... :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Gigitos
I don't know where he is. This is why I thought about it. He stepped down from New Trier to make himself available and take the next step.

When he was at New Trier he organized an annual trip for his players and a crew of inner city players to go to Europe. He recruited/assisted kids from the inner city to come to New Trier and play.

He has a nice pipeline into the Chicago system which is what will be needed to get the program back on track. I am not saying it is a lock , but if DePaul is going to ever get another star the Hometown card will need to be played and it is the best shot they have.

Just so everyone knows, Wainwright coached at Highland Park HS, but you cant go away for 15 years and then expect to come back and have these connections.

Malnati is only 1 year out and still has these connections. Let him bring in a great asst coach and start recruting the right way! WITH PIZZAS BABY!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: cheese
Those "North Shore" contacts do wonders for recruiting the likes of Aguirre, Corbin and Cummings...PLEASE!! First give me an on campus arena and a coach who can hit the West Side and OK,. maybe a North Shore Jon Scheyer than we might have something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:23 pm 

hey grand know what you speak of malnatis inner city connections are as good as anyones in the city the guy has taken 15 inner city stars throughout europe every summer for the last 10 years all the coaches know him and like him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

slumlord wrote:
I don't know where he is. This is why I thought about it. He stepped down from New Trier to make himself available and take the next step.

When he was at New Trier he organized an annual trip for his players and a crew of inner city players to go to Europe. He recruited/assisted kids from the inner city to come to New Trier and play.

He has a nice pipeline into the Chicago system which is what will be needed to get the program back on track. I am not saying it is a lock , but if DePaul is going to ever get another star the Hometown card will need to be played and it is the best shot they have.

Just so everyone knows, Wainwright coached at Highland Park HS, but you cant go away for 15 years and then expect to come back and have these connections.

Malnati is only 1 year out and still has these connections. Let him bring in a great asst coach and start recruting the right way! WITH PIZZAS BABY!

Yo're real, you exist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:26 am 

And who is the Scores HS Basketball Expert? This is because he knows everyone in the System!

If Jean Ponsetto wants to GROW a program, this is the guy!

Wainwright is not the guy at 62 to start building something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
The next coach will be Tyrone Corbin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:28 pm 

I could see Tyrone being a good coach. He is the single most improved player I have ever seen in my life. I remember him coming to DePaul and getting up so high for rebounds he would come down and lose his balance. In his four years he developed an entire offensive game and then played in the league for 37 years!

But I don't doubt Wainwright as a good coach either.

It's the recruiting that needs to be stepped up and DePaul is a tough place to recruit now. It can be done, but it really needs someone who is connected in this city to make recruiting trips worth it.

Unofficially make sure the kid gets into the local bars on a trip, goes to a good party, make sure they have some someone available to get answers from on tests, hot chicks, pencil money, cool place to live not named Hayes Healy, decent places to eat that accept the 'Food Card', Transportation, etc. all unofficial of course!

I can say I have been a very unofficial part of recruiting in the past at DePaul, Uf Oa and even helped a buddy of mine at Wisconsin who landed a top recruit from Chicago and it needs to be done. Top 100 Hoop guys don't give a shit about being "one of the top 20 business schools in the midwest"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
So you were to one to help land Q Rich, Lance Williams, Bobby Simmons, Steve Hunter and McPherson? Sorta like how Rick Fox's character tried to recruit Jesus Shuttlesworth in the movie He Got Game? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:16 am 

We took D Booth out to a few of the old DePaul hunting grounds and had the classic after hours bash. Lived on Fullerton at Clifton. Had a 3 BR, in a 3unit building and the other 2 units also guys who partied as much, thus when it came to parties at DePaul, we could do as we wished, walking distance from the main dorms and DePaul POLICE could say nothing.

Listening to Dan Dokich talking about Gonzaga not being a mid major, having luxrious places to live, private jets, chefs, new facility, etc. This is who gets top players.

SP my buddy has some great Q info he gave me, I won't post it here, but great stuff. My friend was top recruiter at Wisconsin for a long time and now is an asst coach in the NBA from Miami, but he was in the Q derby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 pm 

bigfan wrote:

, Uf Oa "

UFA! UFA! UFA!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
david booth was a very good college player. boy i enjoyed watching him play. he could really fill it up and carry the team. i really loved depaul basketball back during those years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:32 pm 

spmack wrote:
The next coach will be Tyrone Corbin.

That would be a shock, alumunus ties and all. I have to think (hope) that he'll get a legitimate shot in the NBA sooner or later. Plus, like BF posted, until the school steps up to make itself attractive again to (near)blue-chip recruits we'll all have to stick to memories of the good old days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:34 pm 

Hell, call Kevin Holmes - he's the AD at a small catholic high school that I was once affliated with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:32 pm 

Guerin Prep in River Grove.

Would love to see this kind of a guy come back with my man Malnati!

Holmes 6'8" out of Cerritos, CA i think?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:44 am 

You got it bigfan. I went to Holy Cross which 'merged' with Guerin several years ago. I've met Kevin and his son - good people and with some experience might qualify to be a NCAA coach at a lower level school (like DePaul :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:10 pm 

Once again! Bringing the name to the table! Malnati would be such a great fit here.

He would lead the charge to international recruiting