It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jerry Asked To Leave?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Accoriding to Dan's "peeps", Jerry was asked to forfeit the last year and a half of his contract. He said no. Then JLP told him to fire his son, which he didnt, so JLP fired him and possibly all the assistants. Pretty crazy move by DePaul as it shows they are both cheap and not in the same league as the rest of the Big East. Guess we will see how things shake out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Puckhead wrote:
Accoriding to Dan's "peeps", Jerry was asked to forfeit the last year and a half of his contract. He said no. Then JLP told him to fire his son, which he didnt, so JLP fired him and possibly all the assistants. Pretty crazy move by DePaul as it shows they are both cheap and not in the same league as the rest of the Big East. Guess we will see how things shake out.

I think going 0-fer conference in the regular season was a better indication they're cheap and not in the same league as the rest of the Big East. DePaul doesn't give priority to Men's BB and Ponsetto's been pretty clear about that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I heard that myself late this afternoon on "B & B" concerning "Dead Coach Walking" at DePaul, Puckhead. Contrary to what Athletic Director Jean Letti Ponsetto has already said, insisting that Jerry Wainwright will remain the head basketball coach at DePaul despite a winless Big East regular season, this story's about to get really, really ugly. A once proud basketball program has hit rock bottom, and I think a guy who seems to be a good sport everytime he's on "The SCORE" airwaves, win or lose, will soon be involved in quite a nasty divorce with his university. Puckhead, DePaul's got NO BUSINESS in the Big East! I don't think they belong in the Atlantic 10 either...They should be in the Horizon League with UIC, Loyola and other schools, or in the Mid-American Conference with NIU and others that don't get nearly the time of day. They're in way over their heads!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Until DePaul plays their games on campus, they will not be a serious basketball program.
They need to get up off some of that holy money and get a real basketball facility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Mr. Reason wrote:
Until DePaul plays their games on campus, they will not be a serious basketball program.
They need to get up off some of that holy money and get a real basketball facility.

Mr. Reason, they have no business in the Big East, and asking your student fans to pack Allstate Arena in Rosemont when you should be playing on campus or at United Center is a bitch in my opinion!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
SHARK wrote:
DePaul's got NO BUSINESS in the Big East! I don't think they belong in the Atlantic 10 either...They should be in the Horizon League with UIC, Loyola and other schools, or in the Mid-American Conference with NIU and others that don't get nearly the time of day. They're in way over their heads!

Not really. Depaul does just fine in the other sports in the Big East. Just because Men's BB is the most popular it looks bad. Softball team is ranked 22nd in the nation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
SHARK wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

Mr. Reason, they have no business in the Big East, and asking your student fans to pack Allstate Arena in Rosemont when you should be playing on campus or at United Center is a bitch in my opinion!

As of now they do not belong in the Big East. One can even argue they no longer belong in Division 1 period.
Get a real arena, for Christ's sake. Christ is probably pissed that they play games 20 miles from campus. Just shows you shouldn't piss off the Lord. Otherwise you go win-less in the Big East.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
In all honesty, there are tons of DePaul alumni out in the 'burbs and they will pack the Horizon if you put a good team on the floor. That being said, I would prefer they play at the UC. The problem with the UC, of course, is that there are two sports already playing there on alternate dates.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:45 pm 

I hope The Score keeps "The Jerry Wainwright Show" even if Jerry is fired. That was appointment radio.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 pm 

Would it be wrong to hope that DePaul simply does what the average D1 school actually does recruiting/aiding/nurturing/promoting its "student-athletes"? Villanova anyone?

Either that, or go the UofC route and turn everything into a DIII or club level sport.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
SHARK wrote:
I heard that myself late this afternoon on "B & B" concerning "Dead Coach Walking" at DePaul, Puckhead. Contrary to what Athletic Director Jean Letti Ponsetto has already said, insisting that Jerry Wainwright will remain the head basketball coach at DePaul despite a winless Big East regular season, this story's about to get really, really ugly. A once proud basketball program has hit rock bottom, and I think a guy who seems to be a good sport everytime he's on "The SCORE" airwaves, win or lose, will soon be involved in quite a nasty divorce with his university. Puckhead, DePaul's got NO BUSINESS in the Big East! I don't think they belong in the Atlantic 10 either...They should be in the Horizon League with UIC, Loyola and other schools, or in the Mid-American Conference with NIU and others that don't get nearly the time of day. They're in way over their heads!

Now that Calipari has gone to Kentucky, DePaul should go back to Conference USA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am 

Darren - Tinley Park wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Now that Calipari has gone to Kentucky, DePaul should go back to Conference USA.

They will be perfectly happy going 1-17 0-18 for the forseeable future. Big East pays them a lot of money.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.