:cat:

Post subject: Re: DePaul TV Schedule
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
:weelchairbb:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I feel sorry for whoever has their rights on TV. Not exactly ratings grabber.

Oh.....I ruined the wave of the thread...

:bounce: :cyclopsani: :mrgreen:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jesse Rogers wrote:
If a game is on television and nobody watches, is anyone around to hear it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jesse Rogers wrote:
If a game is on television and nobody watches, is anyone around to hear it?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
The point being they are never on TV?

And they would have 10 times the ratings UIC has, who is on often enough.

Another issue over there

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 am 

Part of De Paul's regional attraction in the glory days was the games being played on WGN. Any game that wasn't nationally televised was regionally televised on channel 9.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 am 

Aren't they on U Too?

SHARK?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Aren't they on U Too?

SHARK?

WCIU's new U TOO not only broadcasts DePaul basketball, but Big East Network games that are produced by ESPN Regional Television. If "U" want to know when The U TOO will carry losing DePaul basketball, check out WCIU.com for the schedule. The U TOO can be found on WCIU 26.2, as well as Comcast Digital Cable. "U" can't find it on DIRECTV or DISH Network though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 pm 

OK SHARK, Help me out. I just looked at the UPCOMING Sports events and through April it is only Bulls games?????

I don't see anything about "TV" games on DePaul's schedule on their website and to add insult, I need to PAy to post in the DePaul message board Premium section and still waiting for Approval to even post normally, from my original posting 2 years ago!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:54 pm 

IMagine if I could see some of these more recent games? Please dont tell me about paying for ESPN U, when I can trun on WCIU and see UIC games all day!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm 

bigfan wrote:
OK SHARK, Help me out. I just looked at the UPCOMING Sports events and through April it is only Bulls games?????

I don't see anything about "TV" games on DePaul's schedule on their website and to add insult, I need to PAy to post in the DePaul message board Premium section and still waiting for Approval to even post normally, from my original posting 2 years ago!

BigFan, not everyone has The U TOO, WCIU's newest sister channel which can be found on digital channel 26.2 and Comcast Digital 248. Not everyone has WMEU 48 Me TOO either, which is MeTV's secondary home for classic TV, found on WCIU's digital channel 26.4 as well as a handful of local cable systems. "U" won't find The U TOO or MeTOO on DIRECTV, and probably not on Dish Network either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:23 am 

The Big East has a great tv contract but just like the Big Ten, the bottom 25% of the teams in the league aren't going to be shown very often. ESPN is probably contractually obligated to show 1 or 2 games a year on ESPN/ESPN2 and that's it.

Iowa has the same issue this year. They have rarely been on channels that people pay attention to. The key is to win games and the tv will follow.

If they weren't in the Big East they'd probably be on locally more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:03 pm 

Every team has media outlets. I am 100% sure the Big East would be happy to sell the TV rights to a few DePaul games to COMCAST or WCIU.

This lack of TV exposure is from a lack of a real AD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Every team has media outlets. I am 100% sure the Big East would be happy to sell the TV rights to a few DePaul games to COMCAST or WCIU.
I believe ESPN owns the rights to all Big East games including putting them on ESPN3.com only. If they don't want it, then it goes to the "Big East Network" which can have it show up on some place like Comcast SportsNet if they want.

Depaul vs. St. Johns on Wednesday is on the Big East Network. It looks like on Wednesday that CSN Chicago is showing Creighton @ Wichita State instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:18 pm 

bigfan wrote:

This lack of TV exposure is from a lack of a real AD!

BigFan, I think the reason why WCIU 26 The U doesn't carry DePaul/Big East basketball games themselves has to do with all the syndication money they pay Warner Bros. Television to carry "The New Adventures of Old Christine", "Judge Mathis", "The People's Court" & "George Lopez", CBS/Paramount Television to air "The Doctors", "Everybody Hates Chris" & "The Insider", 20th Century FOX Television to air "Tyler Perry's House of Payne", "Family Guy" & "American Dad!", and TBS to carry "Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns".

As for why Comcast SportsNet doesn't carry the games either, I have a feeling it has to do with "contractual obligations" carrying not just the Bulls & Blackhawks, but the Big 12, Missouri Valley, Pac 10 & ACC via FOX Sports Net.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:23 pm 

SHARK wrote:
As for why Comcast SportsNet doesn't carry the games either, I have a feeling it has to do with "contractual obligations" carrying not just the Bulls & Blackhawks, but the Big 12, Missouri Valley, Pac 10 & ACC via FOX Sports Net.
The other problem is that carrying a game on the "Big East Network" likely costs the same whether it is Depaul vs. Rutgers or Notre Dame vs. St. Johns. CSN can put better programming on at a cheaper price. Even most Depaul fans aren't going to watch Depaul lose 16 Big East games a year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SHARK wrote:
The other problem is that carrying a game on the "Big East Network" likely costs the same whether it is Depaul vs. Rutgers or Notre Dame vs. St. Johns. CSN can put better programming on at a cheaper price. Even most Depaul fans aren't going to watch Depaul lose 16 Big East games a year.

The Big East Network games are actually an ESPN production, Rick. The graphics are very similar to what we see now on the ESPN family of networks.

You are probably right about CSN likely putting on alternate programming instead of DePaul. After all, fans don't want to see them continue to lose the bulk of their games in a conference they have no biz in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Boiler, I have to admit I get a kick out of your answers, mostly because they are almost always wrong.

DePaul has the right to create local programming with the blessing of the Big East and a %. I got this from my buddy who coached at Wisc for 12 years and they had local TV deals.

Do you just make up all your shit?

Granted this might actually cost DePaul and they have to buy time, but if my guy at the Sky can do it on Comcast 120, I can't believe the DePaul can't do the same. yes, they might need to buy the time and sell the ads, just as the Sky does, but Big Time programs have TV coverage.

FYI, you can see every St Johns game locally as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 am 

bigfan wrote:
Boiler, I have to admit I get a kick out of your answers, mostly because they are almost always wrong.
No, I'm not.
bigfan wrote:
DePaul has the right to create local programming with the blessing of the Big East and a %. I got this from my buddy who coached at Wisc for 12 years and they had local TV deals.
You are wrong. That used to be true up until the Big Ten Network. Purdue used to show games on a local station too. The Big Ten Network changed that, and the Big East Network is a similar deal except they don't have a 24/7 channel dedicated to them. Things have changed a lot in the past few years because of the BTN.
bigfan wrote:
You have old information. Everything changed after 2007 with the Big East Network starting sometime afterwards.
bigfan wrote:
Granted this might actually cost DePaul and they have to buy time, but if my guy at the Sky can do it on Comcast 120, I can't believe the DePaul can't do the same. yes, they might need to buy the time and sell the ads, just as the Sky does, but Big Time programs have TV coverage.
The Big East Network controls all games, which is still ESPN, as SHARK pointed out.
bigfan wrote:
FYI, you can see every St Johns game locally as well.
Of course. On the Big East Network!

Sorry bigfan, you are wrong on this one. There is not a single Big East team that is allowed to produce their own games. It's all run through the Big East Network or ESPN at least for conference games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 am 

FYI bigfan, since you called me out for being "wrong", here is the Depaul television schedule.
http://www.bigeast.org/Schedules/ScheduleData.aspx?sport=Mens%20Basketball&team=DePaul&season=2010/2011

Notice how every conference game either indicates an ESPN network or the Big East Network. Some of them are blank in pre-conference, and a few say SNY.

It's impossible to tell why some of those non-conference games are not listed as televised. What is clear is that Depaul can in no way do it on their own for conference games. Maybe they could when they play Loyola but I would be surprised if that were true. I know for a fact that Wisconsin cannot do that. They can't even do that for the exhibition games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:23 pm 

Brick You are wrong again.

No doubt the Big East controls the rights. Stated that earlier. This is not in question.

Just made a call to ask about this and "IF" they wanted to, they could pay the Big East, pay for the broadcast expenses and sell time, if they wanted to.

Especially with the current state of the team, per my source. While he can't confirm it, he doubts the Big East would opposse it and would most likely encourage for a number of reasons, primarily the reason they got DePaul was hopes of the Chicago market.

How do you think all these Miss Valley Games, etc get on TV? The School needs to do the work to get them on TV. No station is paying for the rights.

Most of your answers sound like you have a good idea about things, but they are just wrong.

Better question is why wouldn't the Big East allow DePaul to show a game locally, if they cover all the expenses?

Didn't the Hawks pay for time on WSCR for a few years when nobody wanted the product.

I have also seen many Big Ten games on other stations this year. locally and nationally, and thats because the Big 10 allows it. SOme of those are big games and some are shit games that only local people would watch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 pm 

bigfan wrote:
I have also seen many Big Ten games on other stations this year. locally and nationally, and thats because the Big 10 allows it. SOme of those are big games and some are shit games that only local people would watch.
Every Big Ten men's basketball and football home game has been on CBS, ABC, ESPN and the other properties they have, ESPN3.com, Big Ten Network, or BigTenNetwork.com. The same is true for the Big East but it's possible that some Big East non-conference games haven't been shown locally. The conference games are clearly protected by the ESPN contract.

ESPN controls all the television rights to the Big East basketball games including non-conference home games. It's possible that they could give up those rights to an unwanted pre-conference game but they really have no reason to. Any game in that link I showed you that claim "Big East Network" will never be given up by ESPN because they want them to buy it from them. CSN chooses not to and that's why it's not on there.

Quote:
Most of your answers sound like you have a good idea about things, but they are just wrong.

I love this quote. In regards to the Big Ten, you likely saw a basketball tournament or a non-conference road game. That's a fact. You saying that I'm wrong doesn't change that.

ESPN pays huge money for the Big East basketball contract, and it sucks that Depaul kind of gets lost in the shuffle, but Depaul gladly takes the share of the money that it provides so it's not all bad. If that means that Depaul vs. Loyola has no television coverage that's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:58 pm 

Tonight's DePaul/St. John's game will be carried on The U TOO and on 670 The SCORE with Zach Zaidman & Steve Olken painting the picture at 6p. That's WCIU's digital channel 26.2 if "U" are scoring at home and available on only a select few cable systems. Unless "U" want to buy the ESPN Full Court package on DIRECTV or DISH Network, good luck viewing this game, likely another DePaul loss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Tonight's DePaul/St. John's game will be carried on The U TOO and on 670 The SCORE with Zach Zaidman & Steve Olken painting the picture at 6p. That's WCIU's digital channel 26.2 if "U" are scoring at home and available on only a select few cable systems. Unless "U" want to buy the ESPN Full Court package on DIRECTV or DISH Network, good luck viewing this game, likely another DePaul loss.

It is impossible this guy was on U TOO.

Boilermaker Rick just explained in numerous threads this could not be done!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
We should make a Loyola/Depaul bet next season bigfan...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 am 

bigfan wrote:
It is impossible this guy was on U TOO.

Boilermaker Rick just explained in numerous threads this could not be done!
Please don't misstate what I said. Of course U TOO could pick up the Depaul game. They bought the game from the Big East Network. That's how CSN or WGN Chicago or SNY or MSG here can show them. Maybe that's why you think I'm always wrong. You simply don't understand what I'm saying.
Quote:

Did you notice that "Big East Network" logo on the screen during the game? That means it wasn't a DePaul production.

Anyways, I'm done. Depaul can't control conference games. You've done nothing to disprove that besides referencing old information about Wisconsin's television setup.

I don't know what your deal is with me but think rationally here and realize that it's possible that you were simply unaware of the way ESPN has negotiated contracts for basketball coverage. I have become quite familiar with it over the years trying to find Purdue games.