It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:20 pm 

just wanted to get the scintillating discussion going

They play De Paul December 7 in Rogers Park. It will be worth the price of admission to watch Sir in action.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Quote:
MBB announces 2012-13 recruits

Story provided by Loyola’s athletics department

Loyola University Chicago Head Men’s Basketball Coach Porter Moser announced today the signing of four student-athletes to National Letters of Intent in Darell Combs, Matt O’Leary, Nick Osborne, and Jeff “Keke” White. The class features a balance of two guards and a pair of forwards, as well as two student-athletes from both Illinois and Indiana, two primary areas targeted by Moser in recruiting.
“Our staff has worked tirelessly to identify kids and recruit them,” Moser says. “We identified speed, shooting ability, mobility, and toughness as our primary needs and we feel we addressed those initial needs with this first class.”

Combs, who is a 6-foot-1 combo guard from Thornwood High School in South Holland, Illinois, averaged 19 points, four rebounds, and four assists as a junior in 2010-11. He has been ranked as the No. 12 senior in the Chicagoland area Hoops Report.

“Darell has a natural instinct and ability to score the ball,” Moser says. “He can shoot the three but can also get past you off the dribble and he has a tremendous ability to pass, which is a trait some scorers don’t have. I love how much Darell wants to be at Loyola and wants to help us become a championship program. We felt it important to recruit the Chicago area and Darell was someone we keyed on during our first few weeks on the job. As he gets stronger physically, you’ll see his game elevate to another level.”

A 6-foot-7 forward from Terre Haute North Vigo High School in Terre Haute, Indiana, O’Leary contributed 9.3 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and 1.3 blocks per game in 2010-11. Despite his size, O’Leary is an accomplished shooter who knocked down 40 percent (36 for 89) of his three-point field goal attempts last season and shot 50 percent (92 for 185) from the field overall to help his squad to an 18-8 overall record.

“Matt has tremendous range on his shot for someone who is 6-foot-8 but he is more than just a shooter,” Moser says. “He has worked very hard to develop a pull-up shot and on his dribble drive to the basket. Matt has long arms and a frame that can allow for 15 more pounds. He plays in arguably the best conference in the state of Indiana where he is seeing top competition night in and night out. He comes from a culture where winning is paramount.”

One of the top players in Indiana, Osborne has been rated as high as the No. 2 prospect in the hoops-crazed state. Last season at Muncie Central High School in Muncie, Indiana, Osborne contributed 16.6 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.

“I have been watching Nick grow as a player for the last few years and he has a toughness about him that combined with his athletic ability will make him a special player for our program,” Moser says. “We want mobile, skilled student-athletes in our program and Nick is athletic, skilled, tough, and comes from a great high school program. He turned down several other scholarship offers because he wanted to be a guy who could make an impact and help build a championship caliber program.”

White is a 6-foot-1 guard who plays at perennial power Peoria Manual High School in Peoria, Illinois. Last season, White, whose father Charles played basketball at Bradley in the 1990s, averaged 15.0 points and 3.7 assists per contest en route to Associated Press Honorable Mention All-State and Illinois Basketball Coaches Association Second Team All-State recognition

“Keke brings instant speed to our team and comes from a Peoria Manual program that has a proud tradition of excellence,” Moser says. “He is a team leader on a squad that finished second in the state. In addition to possessing a lot of toughness, Jeff will help our aggressiveness on defense. He is a very strong player for his size and he holds all of the traits we were seeking as we built this recruiting class.”
To learn even more about the recruiting class, stop by the University’s Signing Day Party, which is being held later today at 5:30 p.m. in the Norville Center’s media room.

Nice to see them getting back into the Chicago game, granted it's a small start, but it's a start nonetheless...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 pm 

Loss at UofI.. ok
Loss at Kansas State... ok
Loss at Eastern Illinois University...

it's over...it's all over

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:26 am 

I got an e-mail offer for 4 tickets hot dogs and drinks for $30 for opening day next weekend against Fordham. It might take them up on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am 

Looking better, much better

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:37 pm 

Is that the Loyola Academy gym?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:25 am 

crosscheck wrote:

Looking better, much better

It's like a completely different place. It looks great.

They should be able to start having other types of events at the stadium. They have sufficient on site parking and are steps away from public transportation. It would be a good place to see a concert.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:38 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Is that the Loyola Academy gym?

HA! Not even close...

They probably have a scoreboard.

good dolphin wrote:
It's like a completely different place. It looks great.

They should be able to start having other types of events at the stadium. They have sufficient on site parking and are steps away from public transportation. It would be a good place to see a concert.

I was talking to some people about that, suggesting that Loyola should have upped their hockey program as it doesn't take too much to make Division 1... well compared to Football or Basketball. The way that Chicago has taken to hockey, it could be a nice niche college sport with a pretty damn good venue to watch it at now. But the way they have made the seats permanent, I don't think there is enough allocated space for a NCAA size rink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:19 pm 

big game tomorrow at Loyola against De Paul. I would love to go but I don't think the schedule will allow it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm 

I'll wait till we get into those dirty and grindy conference games play before I start going...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:14 pm 

I'm watching them on CSN right now.

They kind of suck. Like, unable to put up a shot, suck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am 

won tickets to Loyola-UIC on the radio yesterday...probably not worth the price of the phone call

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
won tickets to Loyola-UIC on the radio yesterday...probably not worth the price of the phone call

Must have been the only to have called in. :wink:

Noticed the Averkamp kid has been playing good, he just must not have much talent at all around him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Must have been the only to have called in. :wink:

Noticed the Averkamp kid has been playing good, he just must not have much talent at all around him.

Yeah the front court of him and Walt Gibler is actually pretty solid... Well as solid as an all white front court could possibly be, but that back court is absolute garbage; no speed, no vision, and can't even shoot. That Iowa PG transfer next season is going to have to be pretty solid for this team to have any chance of turning a corner.

And don't worry dolphin, it's not like there's an NFL playoff game going on while you're at the game. :? Your life card needs to be taken away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:28 pm 

Well good luck thinking Cully Payne is going to be anything more than serviceable. He was a hustler, but a poor shooter, decent passer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Well good luck thinking Cully Payne is going to be anything more than serviceable. He was a hustler, but a poor shooter, decent passer.

I can feel the jealousy. Don't worry, I'm sure Iowa will get another future star sometime down the road. And just remember Vince, it's better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:21 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

You have no idea of the quality of basketball being played in the Horizon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am 

I didn't even bother to pick up the tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:55 am 

At least your better than Chicago St.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am 

crosscheck wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I can feel the jealousy. Don't worry, I'm sure Iowa will get another future star sometime down the road. And just remember Vince, it's better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all.

:lol:

He just wasn't that good. He was forced to play as a true freshman because Lickliter was a moron and let everyone trasnfer away. He got injured as a soph and used the excuse of Lickliter being fired to want to leave. I think Fran told him you don't fit what I'm going to do here so you might as well go. he had two offers - Iowa and DePaul. Not exactly a highly recruited young man.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Dolphin, I am older than dirt, lived here forever.......... when the Prudential Building was considered a skyscraper and I thought I could see Michigan from the "Observatory" there...and survived Disco Demolition Night....but I have never ever seen Loyola play on their campus.
Is there any reason to actually go now? Is a bar nearby?
I remember "back in the day" when people actually knew some players' names on Loyola and DePaul.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:40 pm 

Bruno and Tim's directly across the street is a fun dive bar. I promise you'd know someone just about any day you walked in.

The attraction for me is that it is close, cheap entertainment with plenty of room for the kids. They haven't been good in years. The last talented team squandered a senior heavy group with two legit players. Being a devoted fan would be depressing as they recruit badly for a team in a city with plenty of raw, unrecognized talent. I cannot remember the last time I had hope for them to be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Bruno and Tim's directly across the street is a fun dive bar. I promise you'd know someone just about any day you walked in.

The attraction for me is that it is close, cheap entertainment with plenty of room for the kids. They haven't been good in years. The last talented team squandered a senior heavy group with two legit players. Being a devoted fan would be depressing as they recruit badly for a team in a city with plenty of raw, unrecognized talent. I cannot remember the last time I had hope for them to be good.

Same with DePaul.
I hate to give the Devil his due, but it appears Mike North was correct when he said DePaul had no business joining the Big East.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Just make sure to get a tetanus shot before you go. :shaking: Hamilton's a little further south on Broadway was always a decent place. Good talent there as well, for you old perverts 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm 

crosscheck wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Just make sure to get a tetanus shot before you go. :shaking: Hamilton's a little further south on Broadway was always a decent place. Good talent there as well, for you old perverts 8)

Perfect.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm 

crosscheck wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

and watch your step for the hole in the floor of the bathroom

You can get free tickets any night if you promise to come back and drink after the game

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:14 pm 

0-12 in the horizon... how is that even possible? They got blown out in the Jesuit Jam tonight by Cleveland state... St. Ignatius would be rolling in his grave.