It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I think it is reasonable to assume that Iowa could meet Ohio State on September 30 with unbeaten records. It will be the home opener for Iowa at the newly rebuilt Kinnick stadium. Night game that will be nationally televised.

Iowa is the sleeper pick for Big 10 champions and even listed as one of the top 16 teams that could realistically contend for a national championship. And we all know about Ohio State. Smith vs. Tate. Electrifying offenses. Defenses that will be tough.

It's a game I'm really excited for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I think it is reasonable to assume that Iowa could meet Ohio State on September 30 with unbeaten records. It will be the home opener for Iowa at the newly rebuilt Kinnick stadium. Night game that will be nationally televised.

Iowa is the sleeper pick for Big 10 champions and even listed as one of the top 16 teams that could realistically contend for a national championship. And we all know about Ohio State. Smith vs. Tate. Electrifying offenses. Defenses that will be tough.

It's a game I'm really excited for.

What's your opinion on Tate ? To me, he's a bit overrated - am I wrong ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Home opener is actually this weekend against Montana. Get excited.

Drew Tate. Overrated? Hmm...I'm going to do my best to remain unbiased on this thought. Here's my take on Drew Tate.

The guy leaves everything on the field. A real gamer in my book. Maybe that's because I've only seen this type of fight in a QB at Iowa two other times since I've been watching (Banks and Long).

For a college quarterback I think he's pretty damn good. He does a nice job with checkin' down and finding the open man. He's not afraid to stay in the pocket, but can also run pretty well if needed. I wish he'd throw the ball away more when nothing is there. He has a tendency to feel the need to make a play on every play even when its not there. I love the attitude, but that can get you in trouble at times. He's got a decent arm (floats the ball pretty well) and is a hell of a leader on this team. He's pretty short for a QB (6 foot) so I don't really see an NFL career in his future.

BD, to answer your question maybe he is overrated simply because he is the face of the Iowa Hawkeyes. A team who has been in the top ten of the rankings 2-3 times the last 3-4 years. With Greenway and Hodge gone, the only name left is Tate. A lot of people are high on Iowa (rightfully so I might add) so Tate gets probably more attention than he deserves. I think if you want to talk about overrated I think Chad Henne is the poster boy of overratedness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
By the way MUD, I think I got a ticket today for that game. I can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:06 pm 

Time for me to objective on Drew Tate:

He's a strong college quarterback. Statistically, he was better last year than as a sophomore but didn't have that signature win last year which brings him into this year a bit unheralded. He can make things happen with both his feet and his arm but his head does get him into trouble occassionally with errant throws or seemingly as a leader by berating teammates on the field. He's not the fastest QB but can get some yards with his feet. He's a gamer and will try to make something happen to the very end (someone watch the Outback Bowl tape again). I expect big things from him again this year.

And I'll be in Iowa City for all games this year (except this weekend).

I'm predicting 10-2 this year with a strong D leading the way.

Also, if Iowa can get past tOSU, the Michigan game on 10/21 will be the next big game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm 

I'd agree with WR all the way. He is the face of Iowa. But he will be the man to get things done. I feel better about putting the fate of the Hawkeyes on his shoulders than I do about putting the fate of my Cats on the shoulders of Tyrell Sutton (can you say strong Big 10 run defense?). The running game doesn't get much air time these days, but it is solid. Finally, the defense has some big shoes to fill, but should be respectable.

Oh.. and you're right... it's not the home opener... it's the Big 10 home opener. My bad. Wouldn't waste much time watching the Montana game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:25 am 

The game is finally here! Good luck Hawkeyes... I hope you lay the beat down on the Buckeyes under the lights at Kinnick. Unlike Texas, you have an experienced quarterback and a phenomenal coach. Good luck.

and yes, I know we are gonna get our asses handed to us by the Nittany Kitties. I'm still watchin' though... I bleed purple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I bleed purple.

You might want to see a Doctor about that.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:59 pm 

I will say that Iowa City was electric last night. Being in the stands there made me proud to be a Hawkeye fan. That game showed that the power in the Big Ten this year is OSU. They have speed, a tough line and a very very good QB. Iowa gave away many opportunities with 4 TOs but they still would have been a loser if they played a perfect game in my minds. They didn't have answers defensively for tOSU.

Post subject: Join the Club!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:49 am 

Join the Club. I was in Ann Arbor for the Badger game last week and watched my Badgers give the Wolverines an game for at least a half. But Saturday night was a complete Hawkeye breakdown from the first series. Really disappointed in the Iowa effort ( Not the Fans) as well as Drew Tate. Lot of talent, but if things don't go his way....look out!
Stocco may not have the most talent, but sure and steady wins the race.
Hope the Hawkeyes take November 11th off too!

Sorry for your loss Hawkeye Vince!