It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
FF, you said that MSU was the 2nd most prestigious program and always has been. That is not correct. Indiana and Purdue owned 1980-2000. MSU has had recent success. But they are not what you stated.

Purdue didn't own anything in that time period. Indiana obviously did. Purdue had good years in 1980 and 1994 and 2000. They made one sweet 16 appearance from 1981-1993. Id take 1979 over those two decades of "accomplishments".
Purdue's lack of performance in the NCAA tournament is well known but that doesn't mean the team had only 3 good years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
FF, you said that MSU was the 2nd most prestigious program and always has been. That is not correct. Indiana and Purdue owned 1980-2000. MSU has had recent success. But they are not what you stated.

Purdue didn't own anything in that time period. Indiana obviously did. Purdue had good years in 1980 and 1994 and 2000. They made one sweet 16 appearance from 1981-1993. Id take 1979 over those two decades of "accomplishments".
Purdue's lack of performance in the NCAA tournament is well known but that doesn't mean the team had only 3 good years.

Agreed. I meant to say really good or great or something along those line. I was drinking some and I think it's obvious I was sorta talking out of my ass last night in this thread. I still think if you take all the teams entire history in the conference Indiana and MSU are clearly the best though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Agreed. I meant to say really good or great or something along those line. I was drinking some and I think it's obvious I was sorta talking out of my ass last night in this thread. I still think if you take all the teams entire history in the conference Indiana and MSU are clearly the best though.
It depends how you quantify it. If NCAA tournament success is pretty much all that matters, it's true. If you weigh conference results then Purdue and Illinois catch up.

That's the funny thing about college basketball. Purdue would be considered an elite Big Ten program if 2 or 3 games had worked out differently and none of those losses came in Big Ten games(though one was against Wisconsin in the tournament). The same is true for Illinois.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's the funny thing about college basketball. Purdue would be considered an elite Big Ten program if 2 or 3 games had worked out differently and none of those losses came in Big Ten games(though one was against Wisconsin in the tournament). The same is true for Illinois.

:lol: Isn't that a little like arguing about those 2 baserunners in a 20 K game?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Similarly, Butler has had a program that's been better than half the teams in the Big 10 Conference since 2005 and isn't showing signs of slowing down. Credit Brad Stevens if you want, but it is what it is.
Not really. Butler has been a fluke. They made two championship games in a row but those were as a 5th seed and an 8th seed. It's kind of like George Mason or VCU. Someone is going to make a run like that. It just happened to be Butler. Going forward, Illinois is significantly more likely to make another Final Four than Butler.

You think so? If I HAD to put cash on either Butler or Illinois to make a final four next..it would be Butler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 am 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: Isn't that a little like arguing about those 2 baserunners in a 20 K game?
I don't think so. If we were arguing that Kerry Wood's playoff performances make that game better or worse it would be valid.

I'm not saying it's wrong to judge the Big Ten teams as being elite based more heavily on tournament success. It's just interesting that the reputation in the Big Ten is changed because of non-Big Ten games.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 am 

312player wrote:
You think so? If I HAD to put cash on either Butler or Illinois to make a final four next..it would be Butler.
Why are you so optimistic about Butler's future?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I am not, just more so for Butler than Illinois...Butler has the edge in coaching and a track record and an easier schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Won't he have to go on a 2 year mission when he turns 19? I guess we will see how mormon he really is in a couple years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Won't he have to go on a 2 year mission when he turns 19? I guess we will see how mormon he really is in a couple years.

Was David Robinson less of a Christian for playing basketball on Sundays?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

Not all Mormons go on a mission. Just like not all Muslims make the trip to Mecca.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Simeon is playing on national TV this evening against the 20th ranked team in the country. They travel to
TX to play them. I think the game is on around 8:30 on one of the ESPN networks. Also Parker appears
to be making his college choice late next week and sounds like it is likely between Michigan State and Duke.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
Simeon is playing on national TV this evening against the 20th ranked team in the country. They travel to
TX to play them. I think the game is on around 8:30 on one of the ESPN networks. Also Parker appears
to be making his college choice late next week and sounds like it is likely between Michigan State and Duke.

I hope he picks Sparty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Kirkwood wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I hope he picks Sparty.

Picking between two schools that have a hard time producing superstar NBA talent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Picking between two schools that have a hard time producing superstar NBA talent.

I just want to watch him play and mostly watch Big Ten ball. I'm eager to see this year's gauntlet of a Big Ten season and want it to continue next year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm 

Doesn't announcing that you will announce your decision on the 20th just scream "last chance to pony up six figures"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
This kid has let DePaul, Illinois, Arizona, BYU, Kentucky...all think they have a shot.

Seems Duke and Mich St are the leading contenders.

Now he has announced his own version of the The Lebron Hour.

Personally, I was never impressed with him as a No .1 player in the nation and he has dropped to No. 3, when some might think he would just get better.

He really needs to get in the weight room, that much I am sure of.

Is he really taking his time to decide or just taking the free trip to Tucson to hang out?

Everything written about the kid is that he is a one of the greatest players of all time at Simeon, which is a big deal, so I hope it turns out to be true

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Doesn't announcing that you will announce your decision on the 20th just scream "last chance to pony up six figures"?

And I don't begrudge him one thin dime. His school replica jerseys will fly off the shelves before he even enrolls.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:11 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Recruiting sites can be really annoying. Announcing the day you will decide gives them a reason to stop calling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I didn't realize Parker is carrying some muscle - thought he was scrawnier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Didn't score and team lost. Didn't watch the game but that wasn't a good showing. Saw brief
lowlight and it seemed he had single digit points. Is he playing really hurt?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
T-Bone wrote:
Didn't score and team lost. Didn't watch the game but that wasn't a good showing. Saw brief
lowlight and it seemed he had single digit points. Is he playing really hurt?

Caught most of the game. He was playing in 3 minute segments and looked out of shape, like pretty noticeably out of shape.

He had 2 travels and 4 missed shots in the first 6 minutes or so. Coach K looked like he just ate a vinegar shit sandwich. But, then, that's how he always looks.