It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
spanky wrote:
Looks like a pretty nice gym that Loyola Academy has there.

Loyola would be middle-of-the-pack in the Big East...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Chicago State almost isn't a school. Let's not talk about them.

I think the Horizon League sounds up their alley. That gives you local rivalries with Loyola, UIC, and Valparaiso (wikipedia says Butler left). The MAC seems more, I dunno, not Catholic? Northern Illinois, though, there's another basketball program that should be more than what it is but never will be.

Like Chicago State, NIU has a relatively new arena of their own in DeKalb.

A lot of these colleges across America went for the almighty dollar. You need a scorecard to figure out which conferences are where now...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 pm 

crosscheck wrote:
spanky wrote:

I'm with you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
However, I think they should play a handful of marquee games at the home of Derrick Rose & Jonathan Toews,

SHARK

I don't think Derrick Rose and Jonathan Toews live together. Also, it would probably be pretty hard to play a full basketball game on a driveway hoop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:
However, I think they should play a handful of marquee games at the home of Derrick Rose & Jonathan Toews,

SHARK

I don't think Derrick Rose and Jonathan Toews live together. Also, it would probably be pretty hard to play a full basketball game on a driveway hoop.

:lol: I would watch that reality show. Especially the episodes when KAAAAAAAAAAAAANER came to visit

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:

SHARK

That's not what I meant, SJ. Derrick Rose & Jonathan Toews play their home games at the U.C., and there's talk in the Sun-Times today that DePaul might soon join the Bulls & Blackhawks calling United Center home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
spanky wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
spanky wrote:

I'm with you.

me and you, the plight of the mid-majors...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Perillo Insurance guy built a 37,000 SF house in Lincoln Park...and the developers had 10 lots left over from this project.

If one guy can build a house of 37,000 SF, I think DePaul could have built something in the last 5 years.

Go down Armitage, east of Halsted take a right on Burling, about 6 houses in, you cant miss it! The garage/coach house is bigger than most peoples houses.

Point being, DePaul owned more land in that area than anyone and just chose to ignore the program and they still do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
bigfan wrote:
Perillo Insurance guy built a 37,000 SF house in Lincoln Park...and the developers had 10 lots left over from this project.

If one guy can build a house of 37,000 SF, I think DePaul could have built something in the last 5 years.

Go down Armitage, east of Halsted take a right on Burling, about 6 houses in, you cant miss it! The garage/coach house is bigger than most peoples houses.

Point being, DePaul owned more land in that area than anyone and just chose to ignore the program and they still do.

That might be the double lot my grandmother owned at 1849 N.Burling. My uncle sold it in the early 80s for about $325,000 and we thought that was giant money.i

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
bigfan wrote:

Wouldn't trying to build a large, busy sports venue run into the same sort of neighborhood busybodies as the ones up in Lake View?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Phil McCracken wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:
Are you referring to what's now called McGrath Arena, CH? It used to be called the DePaul Athletic Center, and I remember they played a few home games a season there, thanks in large part to scheduling conflicts at Allstate Arena. It's right off the Red/Brown Line stop at Fullerton & Sheffield.

Yes! I'm looking at it and yeah, it's basically a high school gym, but maybe if there's any way they could expand it just a little (maybe some annexes on the sides where you could put cafe-style luxury seating?), they could have something. The program is basically dead now, they've said they're de-emphasizing athletics (or something to that effect), so why not go small and make the most of it? Just enough room for the pep band and the most diehard fans. Could wind up being kind of cool.

Would at least be claustrophobic for opposing teams used to playing in front of real crowds.

As long as they're in the Big East I don't think it works. I believe they demand a minimum amount of seating for the member schools. Although I don't see what difference it makes as long as the Horizon is empty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
They should hire Gary Barnett as coach.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:39 am 
1000 CLUB

There were something like 1500 people at the one and only basketball game I've ever attended - Loyola v UIC back in 2000 or 2001.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
quote="SHARK"]
Curious Hair wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
Filling an on-campus stadium, regardless of size, is going to be tough with the amount of commuters DePaul has.

Well, they're not filling a suburban arena that's only accessible by car, either, so I'm not entirely sure what it is you think they should do.

Worry about becoming better at basketball so the stadium issue becomes moot...

It's never going to be moot. DePaul is never going to be what people say it used to be. The Bulls are too big, the Big Ten diaspora is too big, other sports are too big. DePaul University itself has said that it's not going to be a pull-out-all-the-stops jock factory. So what's the sense in playing at an 18,000-seat arena in the suburbs as if they're big-time? All they're going to be from here on out is Loyola with a tougher schedule.

Guys, DePaul should be in a much smaller conference with schools in the same boat as they are. They have no business in the Big East and the folks in charge on Belden Ave. should realize that.[/quote

I'm sure it's all about money with DePaul and the Big East but it sure would be nice if this team was relevant again and I agree with using the UC for big games and a small on campus arena for the rest of the schedule.

Depaul basketball used to be great back in the Mark Acquire, Terry Cummings days and it sure would be great to see the program become prominent again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They don't want it to be. They want the prestige of being a Big East school without getting into the muck of big-time basketball. They're just along for the ride. Maybe the conference will catch on and expel them like they did to Temple, but then again the Big East isn't really in a position to turn schools away these days.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
They don't want it to be. They want the prestige of being a Big East school without getting into the muck of big-time basketball. They're just along for the ride. Maybe the conference will catch on and expel them like they did to Temple, but then again the Big East isn't really in a position to turn schools away these days.

There really isn't a reason why they can't compete the way Marquette does other than the fact that they don't want to spend the money. I get the impression that Jeannie Ponsetto thinks women's sports are the equal of men's hoops. Which is crazy.

So much has changed with the conferences, but at one time a conference made up of Midwestern Catholic schools that focused on basketball (or didn't have football teams at all) would have made a lot of sense. You'd have DePaul, Marquette, Loyola, Dayton, Xavier, Creighton, Detroit. And Notre Dame would have fit well since they wanted to remain independent in football. That would have been a powerhouse basketball conference at one time.