It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 pm 

A terrible season gets even worse.

Southern Illinois stranded overnight
By Andy Katz | ESPN.com

Southern Illinois' men's basketball team was stranded on Interstate 57 in Illinois because of blinding snow and planned on staying on the bus overnight Sunday night, according to SIU athletic director Mario Moccia.

Moccia had been in touch with SIU assistant coach Anthony Beane Sr., who was with the team. SIU head coach Barry Hinson and assistants Terrance McGee and Tom Hankins were not on the bus since they went recruiting following the game against Illinois State.

The Salukis were returning from Normal, Ill., after losing to the Redbirds 66-48, and were two hours out from their home in Carbondale when the bus driver decided to pull over.

Moccia said the driver pulled off the side of the road and hoped to get a window where he could continue driving. But when the highway cleared a bit the bus was stuck. Attempts were made to get a tow, but I-57 was closed.

"They're warm,'' Moccia said. "They've got enough gas and food on the bus. The worst-case scenario is they will be there until the highway opens. They'll have to wait for a tow truck to pull them out."

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 pm 

That sucks for Hinson to be stuck with those mama's boys over night :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 am 

RFDC wrote:
That sucks for Hinson to be stuck with those mama's boys over night :lol:

He's actually not with them. Three of the four coaches went out recruiting after the game and sent one assistant back with them :lol: :lol:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 am 

:lol: Whoops guess I missed that detail.

Too bad for him

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 am 

Quote:
The Salukis' head coach, Barry Hinson, was stuck elsewhere in his car, according to the Post-Dispatch. He was heading out on a recruiting trip.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/- ... -78788715/

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:14 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
SIU basketball should stay on the bus. It was just 2007 -- 7 years ago -- these guys were ranked in the nation. February 17th, I picked up my girlfriend at the time (would end up to be Mrs. newper) and we went to Indianapolis -- Hinkle Fieldhouse to watch #15 SIU take on #12 Butler in an ESPN Bracketbuster. The snow was much as it was today and Indianapolis had much worse removal. We slid around until we found a parking spot, and then didn't even bother to try to get to our seats as we were a few minutes late and the view from the concourse was as good as anywhere. The late Rick Majerus was announcing the game for ESPN, the Butler bulldog was there on the court -- it was really awesome. I have such fond memories of the event and day (Mrs. newper and I would later hit the Snooty Fox which has also since closed.) After the season, SIU made the Sweet 16 again. As they always do, they offered the head coach mucho money to stay. Weber had done the same and left. Painter had done the same and left. Lowery said, show me the money -- give me 7 years for 750k a year. And then drove the program into the ground. Stupid offer from SIU to let him stay for that money. Now Weber hired him as an ass't coach this year. Probably what he should be. 4.5 Million paid for nothing, actually, paid for moving back worse than nothing. Stay on the bus and hopefully you can transfer, kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
you know, if they ended up in the locked down indianapolis for 24-48 hrs you'd have the makings of a solid horror flick..... especially once you realize THE REAL REASON 4 indy's lockdown...... #manpires!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 am 

newper wrote:
SIU basketball should stay on the bus. It was just 2007 -- 7 years ago -- these guys were ranked in the nation. February 17th, I picked up my girlfriend at the time (would end up to be Mrs. newper) and we went to Indianapolis -- Hinkle Fieldhouse to watch #15 SIU take on #12 Butler in an ESPN Bracketbuster. The snow was much as it was today and Indianapolis had much worse removal. We slid around until we found a parking spot, and then didn't even bother to try to get to our seats as we were a few minutes late and the view from the concourse was as good as anywhere. The late Rick Majerus was announcing the game for ESPN, the Butler bulldog was there on the court -- it was really awesome. I have such fond memories of the event and day (Mrs. newper and I would later hit the Snooty Fox which has also since closed.) After the season, SIU made the Sweet 16 again. As they always do, they offered the head coach mucho money to stay. Weber had done the same and left. Painter had done the same and left. Lowery said, show me the money -- give me 7 years for 750k a year. And then drove the program into the ground. Stupid offer from SIU to let him stay for that money. Now Weber hired him as an ass't coach this year. Probably what he should be. 4.5 Million paid for nothing, actually, paid for moving back worse than nothing. Stay on the bus and hopefully you can transfer, kids.

That program looked like it was on auto driver for a decade. Every coach would use it as a stepping stone then they would find another coach to produce the same results. Once you have the positive momentum in a small conference, it is usually difficult to lose it, but SIU has certainly lost it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Bet that bus is smelling good

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Cheerleaders?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Jimmy Johns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:42 pm 

Shitter's full.