It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oliver Purnell done
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
DePaul's total enrollment is somewhere around 19,000 students.

That means there's fewer than 4,000 students living on campus.

Do you consider that a significant resident population? I sure don't.

De Paul is a commuter school that is fine but not special academically (although its weakness in STEM disciplines will continue to hurt it in an era where humanities enrollments are sharply dropping) and has seemingly insurmountable facilities problems. There's just not much to sell there--to prospective students or coaches.

That's wrong. It's near 30,000 students.

Well, apparently we're both wrong. According to DePaul, the university's total enrollment is 23,799.

http://offices.depaul.edu/emm/facts-and-figures/Pages/university-enrollment.aspx

So there's fewer than 4,800 students living on campus.

That's not so good, especially if you're competing against high-profile state and private institutions for recruits. DePaul is a commuter school with OK academics and a major facilities problem. The university can't even sell its basketball tradition anymore because the only people who remember the program's halcyon days are middle-aged or older.

You're right about that. If I go to a game at the Horizon I might be one of the youngest guys there. They made a mistake back when they were King Kong taking the games off campus. It's easy to understand why they did it at the time.

They should be playing in a 10,000 seat arena in Lincoln Park. I'm not suggesting that would solve all their problems, but it would be a start. Now you need a coach that can keep a least some of the top Chicago kids at home.

I believe Danny B is correct though. All it would take is one or two guys to come. And why would they? Who knows? Maybe it's a kid who doesn't want to be far from his mommy. The program was flat on its back in the early 70s. I believe they actually had a vote on whether to drop down to Division II. Meyer established his New Jersey connection with Ron Norwood. Then Corzine and Ponsetto came. Then more Jersey guys. And things started rolling. I doubt that will happen again, but it could. It wasn't that long ago that they had Kennedy and he locked up Chicago.

Sure they should be playing in Lincoln Park. But that's not gonna happen for a long time, if ever. And is DePaul willing to spend $150 million on a new athletic training facility, which it also needs? That's how much Northwestern is paying for its gym (making it more expensive than all of the new academic buildings on campus), which still won't rank among the best in the country when it is completed.

You make good points about Ray Meyer and the way he opened up a recruiting pipeline. But he was a DePaul lifer. Any coach the university hires now is most likely going to be near the end of his career (like Purnell and Wainwright) or at the beginning of it (like Leitao), suggesting that he will see the job as a stepping stone.

The other alternative, as you mention, is a seemingly dirty coach like Kennedy. DePaul doesn't seem to have the stomach for that kind of guy anymore. But if the school wants a winning program, it would seem that this is the only route available to it. It just has to hope it can hire someone smart enough not to get caught.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 pm 

:lol: There you go Depaul. Get you a coach and help out Indiana at the same time

Quote:
Tom Crean, 48, head coach, Indiana — It’s been indicated throughout basketball circles that Crean is looking for an out at Indiana, collecting a hefty buyout and moving on to a fresh start. DePaul could be an excellent fit, a place where he has a better chance to succeed, with lowered expectations compared to those in Bloomington.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: There you go Depaul. Get you a coach and help out Indiana at the same time

Quote:
Tom Crean, 48, head coach, Indiana — It’s been indicated throughout basketball circles that Crean is looking for an out at Indiana, collecting a hefty buyout and moving on to a fresh start. DePaul could be an excellent fit, a place where he has a better chance to succeed, with lowered expectations compared to those in Bloomington.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RFDC is on his knees and praying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:11 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Quote:

I've seen it reported that Isiah Thomas is sending out feelers to DePaul.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:12 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Quote:

What could ever go wrong there?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

I suspect that even the Pope would have something to say about that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:14 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I suspect that even the Pope would have something to say about that. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I was reading this morning that DePaul should get a reclamation project. Perfect on Shamed ex UCLA coach Ben Howland.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
pittmike wrote:
I was reading this morning that DePaul should get a reclamation project. Perfect on Shamed ex UCLA coach Ben Howland.

I read somewhere on Twitter that it was Howland's job to turn down.

EDIT: here it is: http://zagsblog.com/articles/source-dep ... turn-down/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Quote:

NOOooooooooooo.....on so many levels.

This doesnt start with the coach, it starts with the creepy old white guys in robes that you call Father!!! These guys APPROVE how much comes to the basketball program and that request comes from Jeanie!!!!!!!! If these 2 parties never choose to make it a priority, then who cares who coaches.

However, now that public money is involved, I do feel they lost that PRIVATE status and they need to make a real GOD DAMN, effort to be a real program and stop this GOD DAMN bullshit of running a glorified Intramural program. If Marquette can produce, there is no reason Depaul cant!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
bigfan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Quote:

NOOooooooooooo.....on so many levels.

This doesnt start with the coach, it starts with the creepy old white guys in robes that you call Father!!! These guys APPROVE how much comes to the basketball program and that request comes from Jeanie!!!!!!!! If these 2 parties never choose to make it a priority, then who cares who coaches.

However, now that public money is involved, I do feel they lost that PRIVATE status and they need to make a real GOD DAMN, effort to be a real program and stop this GOD DAMN bullshit of running a glorified Intramural program. If Marquette can produce, there is no reason Depaul cant!

I think you have a lot of different factions pushing and pulling. There are old guys that think DePaul is still a big dog on the level with the Dukes and Indianas. They fantasize that the right coach can get them back there. Then you have the Jeanie people who think you can operate a big time program like it's some neighborhood organization.

I think DePaul would do best to try to build a Butler/Gonzaga type program. Nobody thinks those team are North Carolina or Kansas but they sure do compete with them regularly. To do that though, you have to put away the pretenses and recruit a different type of player. Stop kidding yourself that you're in the hunt for Brunsons and Parkers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hire a longtime Chicago HS coach that could recruit local product.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:04 am 
Site Admin

jimmypasta wrote:

They've had Dildy and an Irvin there. They never recruited shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Dildy has been head coach at Chicago St for a few years now and they are still really bad.

CPS coaches and Catholic school coaches play by different rules then everyone else. They should be good.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
So few people left alive that think they are a giant or could be.

When you are around any athletic department certain people are just gym rats. They are there all the time. Whether working out, doing paper work, hanging out, etc. That is jeannie.

She works her ass off, she is on every NCAA committe, group, chair, advisory board. Anything and everything to promote equal rights among all sports....she is the poster child for everything being PC.

During her first 12 years at the helm of the department, 14 of the 15 Blue Demon athletic programs have represented the school in NCAA championships including 12 straight NCAA appearances by the women's basketball team, two trips to the Women's College World Series for the softball program, and the men's soccer team's initial trip to the NCAA Tournament after winning the BIG EAST Conference regular season title.

Her philosophy is what every suburban mom wants and NO good basketball player wants to hear. Nothing they do is about winning, nothing they do shows a recruit that they are going to get exposure or go to a NCAA Tourney game.

The ultimate goal of this program now should be an NCAA program...and it doesnt start with the coach, its starts with the program.

I know a few ex players, guys that I hung out with, I am sure I will attend a Cubs game and see them this year....they are disgusted as to what has happened, but none of them are surprised and they all know why.

You think the Kids at Kentucky, Arizona, Baylor, UCLA, live in a shit dorm built in 1972? You think they walk 3 blocks in winter to get a shitty meal at the 1 school cafeteria? Arizona has 35 places on campus that every student can eat at with the student food card! 35!!!! LOL This is just an example!!!! And remember, your job for the summer will be a CAR TESTER for the Local BMW dealership!!!!

I know I focus on AZ and it is an extreme, but other schools continue to improve their facilities to come closer to a school like AZ and any kid worth recruiting is going to see these other schools! Then you come to see Depaul????

You live in the Corner of Sheffield and DePaul. You have the luxury of the Jewels across the street....thats the highlight...parties? ohh yeah we have a party in the basement of Alumni Hall....and your Practice Facility? Well, you share that with the womens team, the volleyball team and the softball team.

To a point this is the same issue Univ of Illinois has, but not even close to as bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
The days of DePaul being a top program are gone. They should look to building a program similar to Wichita St. or Butler; sustained success with numerous tournament appearances with some forays into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Hiring a great coach, not a recruiter, will get this done and if better job offers come along, try their best to keep him. The Big East is still a very good conference and with constant competitive seasons, they can build a recruiting base once again without the elite Chicago talent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
The days of DePaul being a top program are gone. They should look to building a program similar to Wichita St. or Butler; sustained success with numerous tournament appearances with some forays into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Hiring a great coach, not a recruiter, will get this done and if better job offers come along, try their best to keep him. The Big East is still a very good conference and with constant competitive seasons, they can build a recruiting base once again without the elite Chicago talent.

You are probably right. And any attempt to kiss ass to CPS is dumb. Unless they get a killer like Howland they need to get a good team competent approach coach that can make four year player teams work well together. DePaul will never get a one and done these days.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
http://thefmproject.com/2015/03/21/out- ... lent-home/

http://thefmproject.com/2015/03/21/thos ... l-exports/

Wow, did not realize Van Vleet, Kaminsky, and Roosevelt Jones (Butler) were all from Illinois. You telling me they wouldn't have made a difference on Illinois or DePaul?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

You are probably right. And any attempt to kiss ass to CPS is dumb. Unless they get a killer like Howland they need to get a good team competent approach coach that can make four year player teams work well together. DePaul will never get a one and done these days.

You just described the last two DePaul basketball coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

They can't just be bad four year players. There is a gulf between one and done and bad.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Tall Midget wrote:
[

exactly what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

:lol: Who was there before Purnell? Was it Wainwright? It's gotten so bad I've forgotten.

Anyway, I don't think an old warhorse is the answer. What they need is their version of NU's Fitz. I have no idea who that might be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Dildy was an assistant under Pat Kennedy, who had one monster recruiting class (Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams) and one or two more good to very good classes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
dave leito did the best you can hope for and immediately left for a better gig.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Dildy was an assistant under Pat Kennedy, who had one monster recruiting class (Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams) and one or two more good to very good classes.

Yeah, Dildy was on Kennedy's staff, wasn't he? I'm not sure he was the guy behind bringing those guys in though. Kennedy had a lot going on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:

He thought he left for a better gig. It hasn't exactly worked out for him. He is the kind of guy they need but with DePaul roots. I'm not even sure a guy like that exists though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:31 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Yeah, Dildy was on Kennedy's staff, wasn't he? I'm not sure he was the guy behind bringing those guys in though. Kennedy had a lot going on.

The way I've heard the story is that Dildy rebuilt the connections between DePaul and the top area programs. I have no idea if he was the money guy or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

He thought he left for a better gig. It hasn't exactly worked out for him. He is the kind of guy they need but with DePaul roots. I'm not even sure a guy like that exists though.

Tyrone Corbin?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Tyrone Corbin?

I think they could do worse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Tyrone Corbin?

I think they could do worse.

I guess it would have to be him, Aguirre, or Strickland (as you suggested). Strickland seems to be the best bet since it looks like he's really trying to move up the coaching ranks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next