It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Looks like we are hiring some assistant named Stubblefield from Oregon. never heard of him, but at this point I don't consider that a bad thing. I'd rather have some unknown young assistant from a good program than some middle of the road retread. at least with the young guy there's a chance at catching lightning in a bottle which is really our only hope for success these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I was hoping for someone in their 40's who had some head coaching experience. This guy is 51 and has never been a head coach anywhere. I would have been happier with the guy from Cleveland State, but we'll give Stubblefield the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:14 am 

DePaul now 1-7 on the year and about to start BigEast schedule. I think they still have a game with Chicago State coming up. Other than that, they might very well finish with 2 wins this year. I'll give them 3 total with some unexpected miracle win over a BigEast school who is taking a nap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:25 am 

shakes wrote:
DePaul now 1-7 on the year and about to start BigEast schedule. I think they still have a game with Chicago State coming up. Other than that, they might very well finish with 2 wins this year. I'll give them 3 total with some unexpected miracle win over a BigEast school who is taking a nap.

Chicago St isn't an auto win this year for them.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:09 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
shakes wrote:

Chicago St isn't an auto win this year for them.

would be pretty hilarious if they finish the year with 1 win.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:24 pm 

dust off that resume Dave Leitao!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am 

Jeannie Ponsetto really should be on some kind of wall of shame at the school for the damage she did to this program. I don't think they'd be even able to get an up and comer type coach at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:42 am 

They're going to end up stealing Valentine from my Ramblers, aren't they?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:03 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:

Really? Isn't Loyola a much better job at this point? What does DePaul have going for it other than the increasingly irrelevant memory of Ray Meyer?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:11 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Really? Isn't Loyola a much better job at this point? What does DePaul have going for it other than the increasingly irrelevant memory of Ray Meyer?

money and conference

Valentine will have options after this season. De Paul may not be his best but it's possible he likes the city.

I hope he continues to grow as a coach at Loyola. He has matured quite a bit this season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Depaul is still a better job than Loyola. Unfortunately you'd never know it by the moves that the ADs happen to make. It's almost as if they don't want to be big time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

Valentine will have options after this season. De Paul may not be his best but it's possible he likes the city.

I hope he continues to grow as a coach at Loyola. He has matured quite a bit this season.

DePaul is maybe half a step better than Loyola at this point. If Valentine is looking to move up and is capable of doing so, he can find some place where he can at least take a full step up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:52 am 

The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Depaul is still a better job than Loyola. Unfortunately you'd never know it by the moves that the ADs happen to make. It's almost as if they don't want to be big time.

How do you like the development of Rubin? I was concerned about his ability on this level after your assessments from the off season. There is still a lot of room to grow but he has been very good on defense from the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:55 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

I'm guessing he doesn't move until Izzo announces his retirement even if Izzo is going to coach one more year. He may not be the next coach there but the other options to replace Izzo are all struggling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

I'm guessing he doesn't move until Izzo announces his retirement even if Izzo is going to coach one more year. He may not be the next coach there but the other options to replace Izzo are all struggling.

It's a different Valentine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:03 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

No one decent has wanted to coach at DePaul in a long time. It's hard to imagine a rising young coach like Valentine would move there rather than a hundred other places.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:08 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

It's a different Valentine.

It's his brother and he was a GA there with many ties to the primary Michigan State recruiting grounds. He's on the short list and he is one of the few that would accept the "year in waiting" head coach position. Coach K announced he was retiring and Scheyer taking over after the next year. I could see Izzo doing the same thing but a current major head coach isn't going to do that and even then I'm not sure the big names they would likely try to get would be realistic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

How do you like the development of Rubin? I was concerned about his ability on this level after your assessments from the off season. There is still a lot of room to grow but he has been very good on defense from the beginning.
I haven't seen him since he has been in college but I saw a lot of him in high school. He always looked like he could be special defensively in college. He's long and athletic. He was an elite shot blocker in high school and looked like that part of his game would transfer to college. His twin was more skilled offensively but nowhere near the defender/rebounder that he is. I just never saw either as a top 100 type of kid. To me Loyola is about his level. Big East not so sure. That is why I paused when my guy offered him at Depaul.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:29 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

DePaul is maybe half a step better than Loyola at this point. If Valentine is looking to move up and is capable of doing so, he can find some place where he can at least take a full step up.

Jon Scheyer wanted Depaul bad when he was an assistant at Duke and believed that he had it. I doubt that he would even consider Loyola's job if it were available at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

Jon Scheyer wanted Depaul bad when he was an assistant at Duke and believed that he had it. I doubt that he would even consider Loyola's job if it were available at the time.

You're saying DePaul picked Stubblefield over Scheyer? Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:27 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

money and conference

You're saying DePaul picked Stubblefield over Scheyer? Wow.

The other context is that he supposedly also was considering UNLV and two months later he magically was named the coach-in-waiting at Duke. It was very likely Scheyer putting pressure on Duke to pay him more and make him contractually the next head coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
The other context is that he supposedly also was considering UNLV and two months later he magically was named the coach-in-waiting at Duke. It was very likely Scheyer putting pressure on Duke to pay him more and make him contractually the next head coach.

Thanks for the contextual information.

My question is this: If a head coaching candidate had to choose between two roughly equal offers, one from Loyola and the other from DePaul, would he really pick DePaul over Loyola?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:35 pm 

DePaul hasn't been relevant since the 90s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:58 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:

My question is this: If a head coaching candidate had to choose between two roughly equal offers, one from Loyola and the other from DePaul, would he really pick DePaul over Loyola?

Loyola is a better job. DePaul is in a better conference which could lead to getting better players in theory. My guess is DePaul NIL is close to non existent so your not getting better players no matter the conference.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:

Loyola is a better job. DePaul is in a better conference which could lead to getting better players in theory. My guess is DePaul NIL is close to non existent so your not getting better players no matter the conference.

I agree. DePaul is a coaching graveyard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:16 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:

It depends on how much money DePaul has to pay. The Big East tv deal gives them a chance to just give someone a million more dollars a year to not go 3-26.

But, they likely pay pretty close to the same. Porter Moser was fine enough to run it back one more year until Oklahoma made him an offer he couldn't turn down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:09 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hasn't Ponsetto all but said that DePaul men's basketball just exists to leech off Big East money and fund everything else without being competitive? Even got a publicly funded arena out of it, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Hasn't Ponsetto all but said that DePaul men's basketball just exists to leech off Big East money and fund everything else without being competitive? Even got a publicly funded arena out of it, too.

Probably, but she hasn't been the athletic director at DePaul for 4 or 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
So, are they hiring Porter Moser?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:41 pm 

Great hire for DePaul.

Such an odd career path...Loyola to OU to Depaul

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next