It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:24 am 

Beardown wrote:
I don't care about college basketball until the tournament.

I just don't get how Loyola can be good and DePaul has sucked for 20 or 30 years. Makes no sense to me.

I know they play in the Big East. Tougher conference. Got it.

I'm not saying DePaul should be a dominate program. But you would think a Chicago college like them should make the tourney like 1 out of 3 years at least. They never fucking make the tourney.

I could give a shit. I really don't care. It just comes to my mind when I watch the selection show and realize that fucking DePaul didn't get in again.

There is not a reason in the world De Paul cannot be as good as Xavier, Creighton or Marquette. All Midwest, urban, catholic schools playing in the same conference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
conns7901 wrote:
shakes wrote:
Keep it real simple, just hire whoever Sonny Cox tells you to.

He has been dead for nearly a year.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:41 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I just don't get how Loyola can be good and DePaul has sucked for 20 or 30 years. Makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying DePaul should be a dominate program. But you would think a Chicago college like them should make the tourney like 1 out of 3 years at least. They never fucking make the tourney.

I could give a shit. I really don't care. It just comes to my mind when I watch the selection show and realize that fucking DePaul didn't get in again.

There is not a reason in the world De Paul cannot be as good as Xavier, Creighton or Marquette. All Midwest, urban, catholic schools playing in the same conference.

Let's hope DeWayne Peevy has a better understanding of college basketball than Jean Lenti-Ponsetto did.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Let's hope DeWayne Peevy has a better understanding of college basketball than Jean Lenti-Ponsetto did.

Maybe LoHo should volunteer to mentor Mr. Peevy on how basketball works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
conns7901 wrote:
shakes wrote:
Keep it real simple, just hire whoever Sonny Cox tells you to.

He has been dead for nearly a year.

cross him off then!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I've been following them closely since the late 90's. During that period of time, they have never had good coaching and good players at the same time. In the late 90's they had great players (Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams, Paul McPherson, etc.), but a coach who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag (Pat Kennedy). I actually think Leitao is a decent x's and o' guy, he just can't recruit. If you gave him Quentin Richardson level talent, I think he would have done a lot more with it than Kennedy did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Was there any truth to the rumors that Kennedy may have violated some rules during his time there? I remember hearing from a few people that it was the reason they pushed him to resign and have stuck to hiring "safe" coaches over the past 15-20 years.

Maybe the new AD will be willing to do what it takes to get a successful coach. I have to imagine they are getting screwed by the Wintrust arena, especially now. Being able to take on a few one-and-dones to at least make the program relevant again would be a nice start.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Was there any truth to the rumors that Kennedy may have violated some rules during his time there? I remember hearing from a few people that it was the reason they pushed him to resign and have stuck to hiring "safe" coaches over the past 15-20 years.

Maybe the new AD will be willing to do what it takes to get a successful coach. I have to imagine they are getting screwed by the Wintrust arena, especially now. Being able to take on a few one-and-dones to at least make the program relevant again would be a nice start.

I think he had to have violated some rules. They came out of nowhere to land, if memory serves me correctly, the top class for 1997. However, if you're going to cheat you should at least have the decency to win some games. Kennedy's team did that, the current roster (which is actually under NCAA probation), hasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

DePaul is using a recruiting firm to conduct its coaching search. That doesn't sound good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:06 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
DePaul is using a recruiting firm to conduct its coaching search. That doesn't sound good.

How is it acceptable for these executives across any number of sports these days to need to hire outside consultants to perform a task that is a very big part of their job descriptions?

The athletic director should have a short list of coaches he's interested in at all times, even if he is satisfied with his current coach.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

It does get them a way out of any diversity and equity allegations regarding the hiring process. "Hey, it wasn't us, we used a recruiting firm who takes care of all of that..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

How is it acceptable for these executives across any number of sports these days to need to hire outside consultants to perform a task that is a very big part of their job descriptions?

The athletic director should have a short list of coaches he's interested in at all times, even if he is satisfied with his current coach.

Everybody wants to be a middleman, dolphin. What they don't realize is that there is an entire set of middleman skills that most people do not have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Everybody wants to be a middleman, dolphin. What they don't realize is that there is an entire set of middleman skills that most people do not have.

Including the ability to launder money to get who/what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

DePaul has exactly one (1) ostensible revenue-generating sport: men's basketball.

Virtually the entire interview process for AD candidates should have consisted of a single question: Who are your top 3 choices to replace Dave Leitao?

If the answer is "I'd begin by relying on a search firm to make sure that all qualified candidates are considered," you probably don't want to hire that candidate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It does get them a way out of any diversity and equity allegations regarding the hiring process. "Hey, it wasn't us, we used a recruiting firm who takes care of all of that..."

Do you mean in terms of background checks?

I would assume that almost most universities would include at least one minority candidate in its list of finalists for a basketball head coaching position regardless of whether or not a search firm is coordinating the hiring process.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

DePaul has exactly one (1) ostensible revenue-generating sport: men's basketball.

Virtually the entire interview process for AD candidates should have consisted of a single question: Who are your top 3 choices to replace Dave Leitao?

If the answer is "I'd begin by relying on a search firm to make sure that all qualified candidates are considered," you probably don't want to hire that candidate.

It really probably should be the other way around. Figure out who you want as coach and let him hire the AD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It really probably should be the other way around. Figure out who you want as coach and let him hire the AD.

Good point. My assumption was that Peevy was linked to some guy from Kentucky--I can't remember his name--who's now coaching for the Knicks. Maybe that's true and the search firm stuff is just there to make sure the diversity and equity bases are covered, as Chet suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 am 

I saw that Kenny Payne was the targeted guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
I saw that Kenny Payne was the targeted guy.

Yeah, that's the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I've been following them closely since the late 90's. During that period of time, they have never had good coaching and good players at the same time. In the late 90's they had great players (Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Lance Williams, Paul McPherson, etc.), but a coach who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag (Pat Kennedy). I actually think Leitao is a decent x's and o' guy, he just can't recruit. If you gave him Quentin Richardson level talent, I think he would have done a lot more with it than Kennedy did.

I disagree whole heartedly that Leitao is a good Xs and O's guy. I've seen more than enough second half collapses in the past few years to contradict that ridiculous notion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 am 

yea, Kennedy was as dirty as they come. We all knew that. When he was fired I was very happy. In retrospect, I'd kill to have a guy like Kennedy back running the team. At least he could buy good players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The DePaul we came to love from Aguirre to Richardson is never to be again. Quite honestly there aren’t that many Chicago kids that are cream NBA talent anymore are there? And if so they go to one and done schools.

The argument the last couple years that they had two NBA players is misleading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

So very true.

Who had better skills, you, or your former partner? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

So very true.

Who had better skills, you, or your former partner? :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:13 pm 

shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I disagree whole heartedly that Leitao is a good Xs and O's guy. I've seen more than enough second half collapses in the past few years to contradict that ridiculous notion.

They've had four coaches since Joey Meyer: Kennedy, Leitao, Wainwright, and Purnell. They've had more than their fair share of second half collapses under all of those guys. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to single out Leitao on that basis. Also, I think Leitao is easily a better x's and o's guy than Kennedy. When Kennedy coached that team they didn't appear to be running anything that a reasonable observer would call an offense. I don't know how many times I saw them fail to get a shot off in clutch situations or when the shot clock was running down. I'll entertain an argument that Wainwright and Purnell were better than Leitao, but definitely not Kennedy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:55 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

They've had four coaches since Joey Meyer: Kennedy, Leitao, Wainwright, and Purnell. They've had more than their fair share of second half collapses under all of those guys. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to single out Leitao on that basis. Also, I think Leitao is easily a better x's and o's guy than Kennedy. When Kennedy coached that team they didn't appear to be running anything that a reasonable observer would call an offense. I don't know how many times I saw them fail to get a shot off in clutch situations or when the shot clock was running down. I'll entertain an argument that Wainwright and Purnell were better than Leitao, but definitely not Kennedy.

Recruiting and coaching is biggest reason DePaul is no longer relevant, no doubt. That said, there's a lot of secondary challenges.

I was going there right when Joey Meyer was let go and I never felt like the student base gave a shit about basketball. Games were mostly attended by alumni. The school is mostly made up of commuters who don't want to drive to games and the people on campus aren't craving a better program, nor was it easy for them to get to Rosemont for all of those years.

I had heard from some administrators that a bid was put on land near Cabrini Green for a stadium in the late 90's. It obviously never went anywhere. I guess Wintrust is nice, but it still way off campus. Had they been able to build something close and given the area around Lincoln Park, they probably could have made a lot of money for the program.

Finally, in this day and age, what big college basketball recruit wants to spend the winter in Chicago? If I'm playing, its in a warmer climate or at least New York where there's nightlife.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Recruiting and coaching is biggest reason DePaul is no longer relevant, no doubt. That said, there's a lot of secondary challenges.

I was going there right when Joey Meyer was let go and I never felt like the student base gave a shit about basketball. Games were mostly attended by alumni. The school is mostly made up of commuters who don't want to drive to games and the people on campus aren't craving a better program, nor was it easy for them to get to Rosemont for all of those years.

I had heard from some administrators that a bid was put on land near Cabrini Green for a stadium in the late 90's. It obviously never went anywhere. I guess Wintrust is nice, but it still way off campus. Had they been able to build something close and given the area around Lincoln Park, they probably could have made a lot of money for the program.

Finally, in this day and age, what big college basketball recruit wants to spend the winter in Chicago? If I'm playing, its in a warmer climate or at least New York where there's nightlife.

Villanova has won two out of the last four national championships. They're a tiny Catholic school located in a cold-weather town that is smaller and less interesting than Chicago. If they can do it, maybe DePaul can, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 pm 

TM, I'm just saying that they are secondary challenges. I have no idea what Villanova does or is doing to stay more relevant DePaul outside of the fact that they win and go to the tournament consistently. Its very possible they just need the right AD and coach and they can become relevant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

everyone one of those coaches including Joey was fucking terrible. Leitao isn't better than any of those guys including Kennedy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

Yeah, it's been rough for Chicago ever since winter was invented in the late '90s.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next