It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:46 am 

spmack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
My son took the initial CPS test for magnet schools. They sent a list of the schools across the city that could be applied for admission. We hadn't really explored any of them but he saw one on the list that caught his interest. He said "what do you think of King High School". I could only think of the Sonny Cox King of my youth and smile at the thought of him attending.

I just drove by King a couple weeks ago. An acquaintance of mine is a motivational speaker who lives at 47th and Greenwood. My guy lives in a duplex that can't be more than fifteen years old, but there are some awesome old homes around there.

They're trying to build the Kenwood area up (Obama's home is technically in Kenwood even though his home is a few feet north of Hyde Park Blvd), but there's still some bad areas. The young girl Hadiya Pendleton was shot at the park on 44th and Lake Park. She was a student at King HS.

She was actually shot on 44th and Oakenwald which is 1 block east of Lake Park and is really a quiet block. I live in North Kenwood. It's a nice neighborhood for the most part. You have pockets of the area that have not experienced any of the gentrification found in other areas of the neighborhood. 46th and Lake Park comes immediately to mind.

The Pendleton murder was sort of an outlier. Neither the perpetrators or the victim resided in the neighborhood. They were simply passing through after leaving school. She was part of a large group and one person in her group was mistaken for another person that was supposed to be a gang member.

It was the only murder in the area during a 3 yr pd.