It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015-15 IHSA Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:19 am 

SICP #20 bitches.

I had some neighborhood mom with a son who is very tall talking to me about Ignatius v. Loyola and how the kid would make the team more easily at SICP. I said "hey dummy, Ignatius has had a better overall basketball program for the last few couple of decades but tall kids make freshman teams wherever they go."...Regina girl, so it was understandable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Notre Dame is going to be tough as nails. The Stritzel kid isn't the shooter Mooney was, but they're very deep and very big.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:54 am 

ND has been throwing around scholarship money and putting the hard sell on recruiting across the NW side. Is North still assisting?

I went to ND open house about a month ago. I kind of liked the place. I went to Loyola's yesterday. It was clearly a step up in just about every way. Still, if you are in the 99 percentile going in to ND, you are paying no more than $5,500 for a nice college prep education. Even the 95 percentile is under 10K. That is irrespective of need. I would bet you could knock that down even more significantly with grants and scholarships. Pretty appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:33 am 

My son took the initial CPS test for magnet schools. They sent a list of the schools across the city that could be applied for admission. We hadn't really explored any of them but he saw one on the list that caught his interest. He said "what do you think of King High School". I could only think of the Sonny Cox King of my youth and smile at the thought of him attending.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:34 am 
Site Admin

No more North at ND.

Whoever comes of of the McGaw super-sectional is really gonna have to earn it. Evanston should be super tough too. That means they'll probably lose to New Trier twice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:37 am 

good dolphin wrote:
My son took the initial CPS test for magnet schools. They sent a list of the schools across the city that could be applied for admission. We hadn't really explored any of them but he saw one on the list that caught his interest. He said "what do you think of King High School". I could only think of the Sonny Cox King of my youth and smile at the thought of him attending.

When I worked at a school in the city most of our kids who didn't end up going Catholic tested into Brooks or Kenwood. Then there were the handful who got stuck at South Shore or CVS.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Last edited by conns7901 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:42 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:

I just drove by King a couple weeks ago. An acquaintance of mine is a motivational speaker who lives at 47th and Greenwood. My guy lives in a duplex that can't be more than fifteen years old, but there are some awesome old homes around there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am 

conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

When I worked at a school in the city most of our kids who didn't end up going Catholic tested into Brooks or Kenwood. Then there were the handful who got stuck at South Shore or CVS.

Brooks looks like a great place. Isn't it the old Mendel campus?

I'm making no judgment about the schools. King looks like a pretty nice place from my travels in the area. I just found the incongruity of what King was when I grew up and my boy showing interest in it to be funny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Where are the high school hoops guys? long time guy? I have to admit I don't follow it the way I once did. When they split the championships into four classes they really kind of lost me. But it's still a great game. A lot of history. Illinois invented the Sweet Sixteen and March Madness not CBS or ESPN. Lots of great players and great moments too. Bob Lackey, Levi Cobb, Darius Clemons, Audie Matthews, the Judson brothers, Johnny Orr and Ron Bontemps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm 

Lots of Catholic League talk on the board lately. Brooks was indeed Mendel/St. Martin de Porres. They've had some decent basketball teams the last couple of years. Occasionally I will wonder what old Catholic high school will be next on the chopping block. Hales and then St. Francis de sales I would guess. Leo is strong. Weber just curled up and died.

I don't follow high school basketball or football like I used to when I was younger. I've only been up on football lately because of family playing or family of friends playing. I agree the IHSA going to 4 classes in basketball was a bit much. It's not needed in basketball. I also think football would benefit from going down to 7 classes at least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zizou wrote:
Lots of Catholic League talk on the board lately.

Yeah, it's a day that ends in Y.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Four class basketball is an abomination. My sincere hope is that Chicagoland schools, both public and private, both suburban and city, someday win all eight tournaments (four boys, four girls) in one year to prove that Marty Hickman and his cronies are dumbasses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I just drove by King a couple weeks ago. An acquaintance of mine is a motivational speaker who lives at 47th and Greenwood. My guy lives in a duplex that can't be more than fifteen years old, but there are some awesome old homes around there.

One of those hidden secrets that no one outside of the south side knows/talks about. Many/most of the homes in South Kenwood are on par, if not nicer than 99% of the older homes in the city.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Look for Quigley South to have a good year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:54 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Look for Quigley South to have a good year.

Mendel too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I never heard that the North Suburban conference was breaking into separate conferences.... Interesting. And then adding Waukegan is
another interesting choice. Some pretty solid basketball over the years in that conference, I haven't followed it as closely since Brandon
Paul graduated Warren.

When the 2014-2015 school year ends, Waukegan will have completed 40 years as a member of the Central Suburban League.

There will be a Year 41, but not a Year 42, as Waukegan athletic director Sam Taylor announced this week that the Bulldogs have accepted a formal invitation to join the North Suburban Conference beginning with the 2016-2017 school year.

That year, the Lake County high school athletic landscape is completely changing, as the current 14-team North Suburban is losing six schools to a new, unnamed conference.

As things stand, the North Suburban in 2016-2017 will have nine teams — Waukegan, Zion-Benton, Warren, Libertyville, Stevenson, Lake Forest, Lake Zurich, Mundelein and Vernon Hills.

The new, unnamed league will have North Chicago, Antioch, Lakes, Round Lake, Grant, Wauconda, Grayslake North and Grayslake Central.

According to Tayolor, the North Suburban voted unanimously to invite the Bulldogs and that Waukegan School District 60 Superintendent Dr. Donaldo Batiste confirmed that the district's request to join had been accepted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:03 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

One of those hidden secrets that no one outside of the south side knows/talks about. Many/most of the homes in South Kenwood are on par, if not nicer than 99% of the older homes in the city.

Lawrence understood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:05 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
T-Bone wrote:
The new, unnamed league will have North Chicago, Antioch, Lakes, Round Lake, Grant, Wauconda, Grayslake North and Grayslake Central.

Shirtless Driving League

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Curious Hair wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Shirtless Driving League

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They're trying to build the Kenwood area up (Obama's home is technically in Kenwood even though his home is a few feet north of Hyde Park Blvd), but there's still some bad areas. The young girl Hadiya Pendleton was shot at the park on 44th and Lake Park. She was a student at King HS.

Dolph, I'd tell your kid to go to Kenwood or Payton College Prep if he can't get into Whitney Young or Lane Tech.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Some of these I didn't know were selective enrollment. I guess Kenwood isn't on the list. I couldn't imagine baby dolph at South Shore or Brooks. :lol:

Quote:
BROOKS HS
250 E 111th St Chicago, IL 60628

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

JONES HS
700 S State St Chicago, IL 60605

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

KING HS
4445 S Drexel Blvd Chicago, IL 60653

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1
GOOD STANDING

LANE TECH HS
2501 W Addison St Chicago, IL 60618

Selective enrollment
7-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

LINDBLOM HS
6130 S Wolcott Ave Chicago, IL 60636

Selective enrollment
7-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

NORTHSIDE PREP HS
5501 N Kedzie Ave Chicago, IL 60625

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

PAYTON HS
1034 N Wells St Chicago, IL 60610

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

SOUTH SHORE INTL HS
1955 E 75th St Chicago, IL 60649

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 2+
GOOD STANDING

WESTINGHOUSE HS
3223 W Franklin Blvd Chicago, IL 60624

Selective enrollment
9-12
LEVEL 1+
GOOD STANDING

YOUNG HS
211 S Laflin St Chicago, IL 60607

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:56 pm 

spmack wrote:
Some of these I didn't know were selective enrollment. I guess Kenwood isn't on the list.

No we aren't, weren't and probably never will be. It's south Kenwood & north Hyde Park's local school. Probably the smallest boundaries in the CPS. (I think 47th-57th, Cottage Grove to the Lake - roughly 10 blocks x 11 blocks)

But Dolphin we're #5, take that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm 

I'm just keeping all options open. It's good for him to see what is out there.

I doubt my children will all end up going to the same high school. I think it would be comforting to have continuity that continuity but its not like all my family went to the same school.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Lots of Catholic League talk on the board lately.

Yeah, it's a day that ends in Y.

Ida Crown and Solomon Schecter are expecting big things this season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
The UP West line goes right by Westinghouse. Beautiful, gleaming new facility. Probably as nice or nicer than any suburban school.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 am 

Love the thread title.

15-15 bitches

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
DannyB wrote:
The UP West line goes right by Westinghouse. Beautiful, gleaming new facility. Probably as nice or nicer than any suburban school.

It sure beats the hell out of the old Brach's Candy factory that used to be their school.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Admin

spanky wrote:
Love the thread title.

15-15 bitches

St. Ignatius education!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
spmack wrote:
Some of these I didn't know were selective enrollment. I guess Kenwood isn't on the list.

No we aren't, weren't and probably never will be. It's south Kenwood & north Hyde Park's local school. Probably the smallest boundaries in the CPS. (I think 47th-57th, Cottage Grove to the Lake - roughly 10 blocks x 11 blocks)

But Dolphin we're #5, take that!

They made a coaching change a little bit more than a yr ago and now they are poised to have their best season ever at Kenwood. I'm very familiar with what they are doing in the Red Central. Curie is back in the division so there will be some competition for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Where are the high school hoops guys? long time guy? I have to admit I don't follow it the way I once did. When they split the championships into four classes they really kind of lost me. But it's still a great game. A lot of history. Illinois invented the Sweet Sixteen and March Madness not CBS or ESPN. Lots of great players and great moments too. Bob Lackey, Levi Cobb, Darius Clemons, Audie Matthews, the Judson brothers, Johnny Orr and Ron Bontemps.

This season will be up for grabs Jorr. No dominant teams and really no dominant players. The best player in the class of 2016 is Charlie Moore out of Morgan Park. You have 6 teams in the Public League that can lay claim to winning it all. (Public League title). The Catholic League will be down this yr. Last yr. St. JOE'S, RITA, Hales, Hales, were all big time, but this yr there will be Fenwick and St. Joe's though St. Joe's won't be as good as last yr.