It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15477
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

Now maybe there is some hope.

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:28 am
Posts: 11875
Location: Boofoo Zoo
pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Well the new AD must have somebody lined up, of course it's Illinois so maybe he doesn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:53 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15477
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
KDdidit wrote:
Well the new AD must have somebody lined up, of course it's Illinois so maybe he doesn't.


:lol: :lol:

I'm thinking most coaches already are working on spring ball. Now Illinois' is postponed.

Should be interesting and I do admire the AD's chutzpah.

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:28 am
Posts: 11875
Location: Boofoo Zoo
pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
So much for spring practices in Florida


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 25407
Location: NW SUBURBS OF CHICAGO
pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Seacrest wrote:
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

Now maybe there is some hope.




I'm sick of the half ass Sports journalism on here. How about leading with the story?!?

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/illin ... bill-cubit

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman made a big move on his first official day on the job.

Whitman announced the dismissal of head football coach Bill Cubit on Saturday morning, ending Cubit's brief tenure as the head coach of the Fighting Illini. Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit was also dismissed.

Cubit served as the interim head coach during the majority of last season after Tim Beckman was fired a week before the season opener. Cubit led the Illini to a 5-7 record, and he was named the permanent head coach before the season finale against Northwestern, receiving a two-year contract.

“I appreciate the leadership that Bill Cubit provided our football program during what has been, unquestionably, a very tumultuous time,” Whitman said in the announcement. “He accepted the challenge on an interim basis under incredibly difficult and unusual circumstances, and he has continued to work diligently for the betterment of our student-athletes. Through his efforts, he has kept the program moving forward. Bill is a good man and a good football coach. All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes.”

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Fighting Illini gear right here]

It's another shock to the program's system, as spring practice was scheduled to begin March 11. The announcement said that the start of spring practice will be delayed until a new coach is in place and that there will be information in the future regarding the spring game, scheduled for April 16.

Cubit joined Beckman's staff as offensive coordinator ahead of the 2013 season and with the help of quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase transformed the Illini into one of the more explosive offenses in the Big Ten. The numbers took a dip, however, in the first year with quarterback Wes Lunt in 2014, and the Illinois offense continued to struggle a season ago with Cubit as the head coach.

Cubit joined the Illini after eight seasons as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he compiled a 51-47 overall record.

That head-coaching experience along with his familiarity with the program made Cubit as good a choice to take over for Beckman as there could have been under those circumstances. Many felt Cubit was dealt a bad hand with that two-year contract, which could have negatively impacted recruiting in addition to show that an athletics department in flux wasn't committed to him.

Now with a new leader in that department, obviously things are moving in a different direction

_________________
favrefan said:"Chris Coghlan isn't gonna pay your rent, Jimmy."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 25407
Location: NW SUBURBS OF CHICAGO
pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I guess bald guys stick together!

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/new-a ... ball-coach

Despite a season that, pending a miracle run in the Big Ten Tournament, will end as Illinois' third straight campaign without an NCAA tournament appearance, John Groce will continue to be the Fighting Illini's head coach.

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman gave Groce his vote of confidence Saturday during a radio interview on WDWS.


"I think it's important today that folks understand that John Groce is going to continue to be our basketball coach," Whitman said in the interview, his quote published by the Champaign News-Gazette. "He's a first-class individual and an excellent leader. He's a student of basketball and leadership, and I feel really comfortable with the leadership he's given our guys."

_________________
favrefan said:"Chris Coghlan isn't gonna pay your rent, Jimmy."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 25407
Location: NW SUBURBS OF CHICAGO
pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Say what you want about Cubit,but I think he did a lot more with a lot less as a coach. I really don't know what the new AD finds so attractive about that overmatched hillbilly coaching roundball.

_________________
favrefan said:"Chris Coghlan isn't gonna pay your rent, Jimmy."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2170
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
jimmypasta wrote:
"I think it's important today that folks understand that John Groce is going to continue to be our basketball coach," Whitman said in the interview, his quote published by the Champaign News-Gazette. "He's a first-class individual and an excellent leader. He's a student of basketball and leadership, and I am too damned tired to hire two coaches at the same time."

I fixed it for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 pm
Posts: 10561
Get ready Illini nation...

Image

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Not over yet.
Yes it is.


long time guy wrote:
(OKC) will be the #2 seed in the West due to these 2 moves. Watch out world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15477
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

Now maybe there is some hope.




I'm sick of the half ass Sports journalism on here. How about leading with the story?!?

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/illin ... bill-cubit

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman made a big move on his first official day on the job.

Whitman announced the dismissal of head football coach Bill Cubit on Saturday morning, ending Cubit's brief tenure as the head coach of the Fighting Illini. Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit was also dismissed.

Cubit served as the interim head coach during the majority of last season after Tim Beckman was fired a week before the season opener. Cubit led the Illini to a 5-7 record, and he was named the permanent head coach before the season finale against Northwestern, receiving a two-year contract.

“I appreciate the leadership that Bill Cubit provided our football program during what has been, unquestionably, a very tumultuous time,” Whitman said in the announcement. “He accepted the challenge on an interim basis under incredibly difficult and unusual circumstances, and he has continued to work diligently for the betterment of our student-athletes. Through his efforts, he has kept the program moving forward. Bill is a good man and a good football coach. All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes.”

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Fighting Illini gear right here]

It's another shock to the program's system, as spring practice was scheduled to begin March 11. The announcement said that the start of spring practice will be delayed until a new coach is in place and that there will be information in the future regarding the spring game, scheduled for April 16.

Cubit joined Beckman's staff as offensive coordinator ahead of the 2013 season and with the help of quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase transformed the Illini into one of the more explosive offenses in the Big Ten. The numbers took a dip, however, in the first year with quarterback Wes Lunt in 2014, and the Illinois offense continued to struggle a season ago with Cubit as the head coach.

Cubit joined the Illini after eight seasons as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he compiled a 51-47 overall record.

That head-coaching experience along with his familiarity with the program made Cubit as good a choice to take over for Beckman as there could have been under those circumstances. Many felt Cubit was dealt a bad hand with that two-year contract, which could have negatively impacted recruiting in addition to show that an athletics department in flux wasn't committed to him.

Now with a new leader in that department, obviously things are moving in a different direction



Thanks for the correction Jimmy. I should have posted an article.

Good to see you trying to improve the post content here.

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 6:09 pm
Posts: 3825
pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Bernstein is tweeting loud voiced trustees pushed for this firing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 25407
Location: NW SUBURBS OF CHICAGO
pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Seacrest wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

Now maybe there is some hope.




I'm sick of the half ass Sports journalism on here. How about leading with the story?!?

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/illin ... bill-cubit

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman made a big move on his first official day on the job.

Whitman announced the dismissal of head football coach Bill Cubit on Saturday morning, ending Cubit's brief tenure as the head coach of the Fighting Illini. Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit was also dismissed.

Cubit served as the interim head coach during the majority of last season after Tim Beckman was fired a week before the season opener. Cubit led the Illini to a 5-7 record, and he was named the permanent head coach before the season finale against Northwestern, receiving a two-year contract.

“I appreciate the leadership that Bill Cubit provided our football program during what has been, unquestionably, a very tumultuous time,” Whitman said in the announcement. “He accepted the challenge on an interim basis under incredibly difficult and unusual circumstances, and he has continued to work diligently for the betterment of our student-athletes. Through his efforts, he has kept the program moving forward. Bill is a good man and a good football coach. All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes.”

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Fighting Illini gear right here]

It's another shock to the program's system, as spring practice was scheduled to begin March 11. The announcement said that the start of spring practice will be delayed until a new coach is in place and that there will be information in the future regarding the spring game, scheduled for April 16.

Cubit joined Beckman's staff as offensive coordinator ahead of the 2013 season and with the help of quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase transformed the Illini into one of the more explosive offenses in the Big Ten. The numbers took a dip, however, in the first year with quarterback Wes Lunt in 2014, and the Illinois offense continued to struggle a season ago with Cubit as the head coach.

Cubit joined the Illini after eight seasons as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he compiled a 51-47 overall record.

That head-coaching experience along with his familiarity with the program made Cubit as good a choice to take over for Beckman as there could have been under those circumstances. Many felt Cubit was dealt a bad hand with that two-year contract, which could have negatively impacted recruiting in addition to show that an athletics department in flux wasn't committed to him.

Now with a new leader in that department, obviously things are moving in a different direction



Thanks for the correction Jimmy. I should have posted an article.

Good to see you trying to improve the post content here.



Image

_________________
favrefan said:"Chris Coghlan isn't gonna pay your rent, Jimmy."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Posts: 30110
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
:lol:

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36160
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Guy who starts a thread every time he sees boobs on TV is gonna turn this ship around.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15477
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Guy who starts a thread every time he sees boobs on TV is gonna turn this ship around.


Let's try and encourage jimmy so he doesn't revert back to that.

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 25407
Location: NW SUBURBS OF CHICAGO
pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Guy who starts a thread every time he sees boobs on TV is gonna turn this ship around.


Let's try and encourage jimmy so he doesn't revert back to that.


TOO LATE:


Image

_________________
favrefan said:"Chris Coghlan isn't gonna pay your rent, Jimmy."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15477
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
Is that what making the most of a second chance at life really looks like jimmy?

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group