It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

Now maybe there is some hope.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Well the new AD must have somebody lined up, of course it's Illinois so maybe he doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

KDdidit wrote:
Well the new AD must have somebody lined up, of course it's Illinois so maybe he doesn't.

:lol: :lol:

I'm thinking most coaches already are working on spring ball. Now Illinois' is postponed.

Should be interesting and I do admire the AD's chutzpah.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
So much for spring practices in Florida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Seacrest wrote:
I was at a benefit last night with and met a D-! football ref who works a lot of ND and Big Ten games.

When I asked him about the ILL I N I, he said, "They should just lock the doors on the football program there."

I'm sick of the half ass Sports journalism on here. How about leading with the story?!?

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/illin ... bill-cubit

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman made a big move on his first official day on the job.

Whitman announced the dismissal of head football coach Bill Cubit on Saturday morning, ending Cubit's brief tenure as the head coach of the Fighting Illini. Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit was also dismissed.

Cubit served as the interim head coach during the majority of last season after Tim Beckman was fired a week before the season opener. Cubit led the Illini to a 5-7 record, and he was named the permanent head coach before the season finale against Northwestern, receiving a two-year contract.

“I appreciate the leadership that Bill Cubit provided our football program during what has been, unquestionably, a very tumultuous time,” Whitman said in the announcement. “He accepted the challenge on an interim basis under incredibly difficult and unusual circumstances, and he has continued to work diligently for the betterment of our student-athletes. Through his efforts, he has kept the program moving forward. Bill is a good man and a good football coach. All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes.”

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Fighting Illini gear right here]

It's another shock to the program's system, as spring practice was scheduled to begin March 11. The announcement said that the start of spring practice will be delayed until a new coach is in place and that there will be information in the future regarding the spring game, scheduled for April 16.

Cubit joined Beckman's staff as offensive coordinator ahead of the 2013 season and with the help of quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase transformed the Illini into one of the more explosive offenses in the Big Ten. The numbers took a dip, however, in the first year with quarterback Wes Lunt in 2014, and the Illinois offense continued to struggle a season ago with Cubit as the head coach.

Cubit joined the Illini after eight seasons as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he compiled a 51-47 overall record.

That head-coaching experience along with his familiarity with the program made Cubit as good a choice to take over for Beckman as there could have been under those circumstances. Many felt Cubit was dealt a bad hand with that two-year contract, which could have negatively impacted recruiting in addition to show that an athletics department in flux wasn't committed to him.

Now with a new leader in that department, obviously things are moving in a different direction

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 pm 

I guess bald guys stick together!

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/new-a ... ball-coach

Despite a season that, pending a miracle run in the Big Ten Tournament, will end as Illinois' third straight campaign without an NCAA tournament appearance, John Groce will continue to be the Fighting Illini's head coach.

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman gave Groce his vote of confidence Saturday during a radio interview on WDWS.

"I think it's important today that folks understand that John Groce is going to continue to be our basketball coach," Whitman said in the interview, his quote published by the Champaign News-Gazette. "He's a first-class individual and an excellent leader. He's a student of basketball and leadership, and I feel really comfortable with the leadership he's given our guys."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:03 pm 

Say what you want about Cubit,but I think he did a lot more with a lot less as a coach. I really don't know what the new AD finds so attractive about that overmatched hillbilly coaching roundball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
jimmypasta wrote:
"I think it's important today that folks understand that John Groce is going to continue to be our basketball coach," Whitman said in the interview, his quote published by the Champaign News-Gazette. "He's a first-class individual and an excellent leader. He's a student of basketball and leadership, and I am too damned tired to hire two coaches at the same time."

I fixed it for him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:10 pm 

Get ready Illini nation...

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

jimmypasta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I'm sick of the half ass Sports journalism on here. How about leading with the story?!?

New Illinois athletics director Josh Whitman made a big move on his first official day on the job.

Whitman announced the dismissal of head football coach Bill Cubit on Saturday morning, ending Cubit's brief tenure as the head coach of the Fighting Illini. Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit was also dismissed.

Cubit served as the interim head coach during the majority of last season after Tim Beckman was fired a week before the season opener. Cubit led the Illini to a 5-7 record, and he was named the permanent head coach before the season finale against Northwestern, receiving a two-year contract.

“I appreciate the leadership that Bill Cubit provided our football program during what has been, unquestionably, a very tumultuous time,” Whitman said in the announcement. “He accepted the challenge on an interim basis under incredibly difficult and unusual circumstances, and he has continued to work diligently for the betterment of our student-athletes. Through his efforts, he has kept the program moving forward. Bill is a good man and a good football coach. All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes.”

It's another shock to the program's system, as spring practice was scheduled to begin March 11. The announcement said that the start of spring practice will be delayed until a new coach is in place and that there will be information in the future regarding the spring game, scheduled for April 16.

Cubit joined Beckman's staff as offensive coordinator ahead of the 2013 season and with the help of quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase transformed the Illini into one of the more explosive offenses in the Big Ten. The numbers took a dip, however, in the first year with quarterback Wes Lunt in 2014, and the Illinois offense continued to struggle a season ago with Cubit as the head coach.

Cubit joined the Illini after eight seasons as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he compiled a 51-47 overall record.

That head-coaching experience along with his familiarity with the program made Cubit as good a choice to take over for Beckman as there could have been under those circumstances. Many felt Cubit was dealt a bad hand with that two-year contract, which could have negatively impacted recruiting in addition to show that an athletics department in flux wasn't committed to him.

Now with a new leader in that department, obviously things are moving in a different direction

Thanks for the correction Jimmy. I should have posted an article.

Good to see you trying to improve the post content here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Bernstein is tweeting loud voiced trustees pushed for this firing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:47 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Thanks for the correction Jimmy. I should have posted an article.

Good to see you trying to improve the post content here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Guy who starts a thread every time he sees boobs on TV is gonna turn this ship around.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Guy who starts a thread every time he sees boobs on TV is gonna turn this ship around.

Let's try and encourage jimmy so he doesn't revert back to that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Let's try and encourage jimmy so he doesn't revert back to that.

TOO LATE:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Is that what making the most of a second chance at life really looks like jimmy?